SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky96 View Post
Hi!
I used a EMAX 1200 kv motor, 8x4 GWS prop, 25A ESC and a 1300mh battery to my funbat.
The maiden didn't go that well, the trows where to big and I flew in to a three the nose came off.... I reinforced the nose and trimed the trows down and it flew great .
The only question I have is, can i chance my prop too make the plane go any faster? Mabye a higher pich

BTW i'm 15 years old and from Sweden
Which motor do you have? To increase speed you want a higher pitch. To increase thrust you want a bigger diameter. There is a trade-off between speed and thrust while keeping the current within the limit of the motor. Try an 8x6 or 7x6.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:34 PM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Here is a link to the motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1200kv.html

yea a higher pich might be a good idea!
sky96 is offline Find More Posts by sky96
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
I have a WHOLE Pile of the New Model Plane Foam sitting here
and I have MORE on order.
You may have seen this foam discussed in this thread ...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245

It's a new, MADE IN THE USA, foam product similar to Depron.

I have reworked the ToolPath for CNC cutting FunBats on this new sized foam.
the GREAT NEWS is that I can lower the Price on Singles and 3X multiples.

Check out my, approved by the Fun Bat Designer, web site at ...

http://www.balsabuddies.com/cutouts/Listing.htm

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
Got to finally fly my blue funbat today. Was very windy, flags at nearly full sail windy, but the thing flew great. was able to do a few loops with it, never really pushed it to full power as I was still getting a feel for it but even still, the wings where bowing quite a bit. I did fully tape the thing last night, which helped. Only reason I did that was because I picked it up by the wing tips and noticed it had a lot of wing flop to it >_<.

lots of tall grass to "land" in too which is nice for a planes maiden flight. Sadly the last run missed the grass, and landed on the remains of the old air strip. It slammed flat bellied into the ground, ripped off the battery cover (was made from poster board and tape, held in with push pins), dented my pack a little ripped off the motors bulkhead, and scratched the prop spinner. Some how the prop survived.

Plane is fixed and ready for more abuse, but ill have to find a way to stiffen the wing up some. I have a feeling that my glue on the spare came loose at some point or was never very solid and is letting the wing kind of move over the spar some instead of really looking down on it and holding tight.

Got my orange Outcast Funbat fully flight ready and will try to fly it tomorrow after work. I think I may try and fit a higher KV motor then what I've got on it now. right now ive got an old Turnigy 28-22-a 1600kv motor on it. Sadly the motor is no longer listed on hobby kings site so I cant look up its full specs. I'll stick with this set up for a while till i find a good replacment.

Last week I noticed that the mount the motor came with wasnt letting the motor sit right on the bulkhead. Turns out it was bent, so I made me a new custom one out of a small scrap piece of 1/8" aluminum I had sitting around.

I also finished cutting out nose venting on the plane. Even with so little there, I can grab the plane by the motor, and shake it all around. The bulkhead is on solid!
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Apr 17, 2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:48 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,158 Posts
Hi OZO
sorry to read of your FB crash.
I think this is the same motor being advertised by an Ebay re-seller and looks like specs are for max 2 cell set up
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-TR...-/250834636268
Hope this helps
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:28 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Hi OZO
sorry to read of your FB crash.
I think this is the same motor being advertised by an Ebay re-seller and looks like specs are for max 2 cell set up
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-TR...-/250834636268
Hope this helps
Andy
Wasnt so much a crash as a hard landing. thing thing was fine. Motor mount broke free cause I made the fuse as a monoblock from EPS foam. even the bottom of the fuse and tails are unharmed! I didnt tape up the rudders, and they took no damage. Its all fixed up and ready to go again. Just want to try and stiffen the wing some first before I use it again.

As for the motor, thats the one. I also found a site that seems to list many different RC parts specs, new and old.
http://www.rc-book.com/en/node/6246/...00kv-outrunner

Ran fine on my 3 cell, then again I never really went over 1/2 power for very long. Good thing I have 2 of these motors might need the spare... I do have some 2 cell packs, but its just so anemic on those. May need to get a wider range of props to make up for it since its runing a Master Air Screw 6x5 prop, and the motor is specked out for a 8x4 or 9x5.

looking at these motors too:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6634
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Apr 17, 2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:37 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
I just have this crazy idea to revive my FunBat. Is it possible to mount a Cox engine on the FunBat?
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
I would expect that the IC engine vibrations would disintegrate the foam in a HURRY !

Smooth vibe free electric brushless motors and foam construction
are a match made in Heaven !

Let us know how it goes.

Bob
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
I would expect that the IC engine vibrations would disintegrate the foam in a HURRY !

Smooth vibe free electric brushless motors and foam construction
are a match made in Heaven !

Let us know how it goes.

Bob
The real issue would be fuel proofing. You would need to protect the foam and all electronics from the glow fuel and oil from the exhaust. It's possible but I don't think practical.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
Glow fuel is mostly Alcohol which does NOT melt Foam like gasoline does.

Agreed that The high oil content would make a MESS.

Not sure how our FOAMY Glues would respond !

I see NO upside whatsoever !
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Maybe Funbat in coro with Cox engine.. Just maybe.
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
THAT would be a good solution.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:39 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Joined May 2005
1,329 Posts
Went to test fly my orange funbat yesterday. Was a bit nervious, with the wind gusting up to 14mph. First test launch, into the bushes. Second test, same thing, only this time the weeds kept the motor >_< I got so crazy with cutting out passages to cool everything, that I cut away most of the support for the motor bulkhead

So last night I designed up a new backing plate for the CF plate I had, made some winglets to dig deep into the fuse, and added a few lights while I was at it. suckers are BRIGHT!!

I also found an old 7x5 prop I had. Should help some with getting more use from that motor. Total wight is now 354 grams. 12.5oz.
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
Firming up the Nose suggestion and drawing.

I supposed that 1/32 ply could also be used just as well.

The interior corners ought to have triangle stock fitted and glued too.

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:41 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
787 Posts
I made one of these out of Elmer's Foamboard that turned out kinda heavy and in moderate breezes it handled quite awfully. I put a 2217-06 motor on it with an 8x6 prop and a 1300 3-cell so I could use it for full contact combat at SEFF, and good riddance. Well, I flew it today in light winds and with a more forward CG and it was amazing! I set it on its tail for some vertical take-offs and with this motor it is almost TOO fast. Cut the power and it floats in for soft landings in the grass or point it toward the heavens and watch it scream out of sight. Woohooo! Now I don't know if I want to mess it up with combat!

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon