HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastZeroOne View Post
on the plans it says a max of 1.75" back

where are the pictures of your plane anyway?
I'll get some pics up later
Pyrofan is offline Find More Posts by Pyrofan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
the plane, Hope the pics show up right.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofan View Post
the plane, Hope the pics show up right.
Looks good but I see one thing that concerns me. Your control horns are pretty far back on the ailerons. The holes in the horns should be directly over the hinge line. Check your aileron movement to see if they have equal up and down throws. It's OK or even desirable to have more up than down (differential) but not the other way. Don't tear up the foam yet to move them just check them.

Also, I would add some hinge tape inboard of the horns for a little more support. As a personal preference, I don't put a solid strip of tape on the beveled side of a hinge because I always get wrinkles. I use 1/2" strips of strapping tape on both sides and a single strip on the flat side.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
Looks good but I see one thing that concerns me. Your control horns are pretty far back on the ailerons. The holes in the horns should be directly over the hinge line. Check your aileron movement to see if they have equal up and down throws. It's OK or even desirable to have more up than down (differential) but not the other way. Don't tear up the foam yet to move them just check them.

Also, I would add some hinge tape inboard of the horns for a little more support. As a personal preference, I don't put a solid strip of tape on the beveled side of a hinge because I always get wrinkles. I use 1/2" strips of strapping tape on both sides and a single strip on the flat side.
Looks may be deceiving. They have a LOT of throw. The maiden didnt go so well. The prop flew off and the plane never got to leave the ground. I'm gonna use direct drive.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofan View Post
Looks may be deceiving. They have a LOT of throw. The maiden didnt go so well. The prop flew off and the plane never got to leave the ground. I'm gonna use direct drive.
That's never a good thing. I use clear hairbands from Walmart on my prop savers. I use 2 or 3 of them but I only have power systems up to 170W or so. Good luck on your second try and let us know how it goes.

Chris
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
Not sure if I mentioned this but Here is a link to a Funbat with an airfoil.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
Airplane Dope
USA, WI, Rio
Joined Nov 2009
329 Posts
Has anybody used the 1700kv hexTronic 24g Blue Wonder? I'm thinking of building one, and I have the 24g blue wonder motor and I wonder if it would be a good motor...(Planning on using a 3S with a gws 8040 trimmed to about 7", and a 3S, or a 2S with non-- trimmed 8x4)
AddictedToRC is offline Find More Posts by AddictedToRC
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:31 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,228 Posts
It should be ok provided you build it light and extend the front fuse. It's a light weight motor and the FB can come out tail heavy. The 8x4 cut down to 7" would be ideal and you would only need a 10 amp esc & 500-800 mAh 3 cell.
Don't forget to post pictures and video if you can
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
Airplane Dope
USA, WI, Rio
Joined Nov 2009
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
It should be ok provided you build it light and extend the front fuse. It's a light weight motor and the FB can come out tail heavy. The 8x4 cut down to 7" would be ideal and you would only need a 10 amp esc & 500-800 mAh 3 cell.
Don't forget to post pictures and video if you can
Andy
OK. I'm using a 1000mAh 3S and 25A ESC....and a couple HXT900s. Maybe I should try to scale it down a bit...
AddictedToRC is offline Find More Posts by AddictedToRC
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:28 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,228 Posts
Why don't you build it and see how it fly's. You can always upgrade the motor to something like this http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ner-Brushless-
or this one if you need the extra weight and punch
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:06 AM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
My first Scratchbuilt!

Hi!
I used a EMAX 1200 kv motor, 8x4 GWS prop, 25A ESC and a 1300mh battery to my funbat.
The maiden didn't go that well, the trows where to big and I flew in to a three the nose came off.... I reinforced the nose and trimed the trows down and it flew great .
The only question I have is, can i chance my prop too make the plane go any faster? Mabye a higher pich

BTW i'm 15 years old and from Sweden
sky96 is offline Find More Posts by sky96
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:18 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky96 View Post
Hi!
I used a EMAX 1200 kv motor, 8x4 GWS prop, 25A ESC and a 1300mh battery to my funbat.
The maiden didn't go that well, the trows where to big and I flew in to a three the nose came off.... I reinforced the nose and trimed the trows down and it flew great .
The only question I have is, can i chance my prop too make the plane go any faster? Mabye a higher pich

BTW i'm 15 years old and from Sweden
What type of prop are you using. A slofly or direct drive
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
This is the one I got: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5Pcs_Bag_.html
sky96 is offline Find More Posts by sky96
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:39 AM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011