SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer View Post
Just a thought, you can always just put coroplastic on the belly to help on landing.
Or you could use a foam wing on a coroplast fuse. Mine balances fine with stock dimensions but I used 4-ish mm $ Tree foam with generic packing tape so the tail is light. The front and belly are covered inside and out with Extreme tape so that probably shifted the weight forward too. The trouble with this or any other plane is you don't know if you need to lengthen or shorten something until it's almost done. I hate do-overs.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:42 PM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer View Post
Just a thought, you can always just put coroplastic on the belly to help on landing.
Not a bad idea... Will see what i can do about that...
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:45 PM
Germantown, N.Y.
Joined Jul 2005
90 Posts
Here is Nicoflyer's mini Funbat in action at our indoor flying site....this thing is awesome!!!
Untitled (2 min 33 sec)
Cromer is offline Find More Posts by Cromer
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Sweet!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:24 PM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Thanks for posting the video Phil.
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
Germantown, N.Y.
Joined Jul 2005
90 Posts
Note to self.....must build one
Cromer is offline Find More Posts by Cromer
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:02 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromer View Post
Note to self.....must build one
If you do, Its a good idea to extend the nose of the fuse by an inch or so (as mentioned a few times through this thread but i forgot at the cutting stage)

I'm almost finished my 100% build and managed to extend it by about 1/2 an inch but wishing i'd added some more length as Its looking like its going to be a challenge to get the CG right.

I'm using a 2620 2200kv motor (out of a bixler) and a 1350 3S so there is a fair bit of weight up front, but with the pack all the way forward it is still looking touch and go. Maiden this weekend hopefully
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Nov 2010
8 Posts
Another Funbat build

I just finished my Funbat build. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out but if I were to do it again I would extend the fuselage nose another 1" (as many have suggested). I added a 1/4 oz weight in the nose to balance it even with the battery as far up as I could get it. I didn't remember that suggestion as I was cutting.

For power I went with a 1300mAh 3S pack, Hobbywing SkyWalker-20A ESC, EMAX CF2812 1600KV outrunner, with an APC 6x5.5E Thin Electric Propeller. This setup pulls roughly 120 Watts at max throttle. AUW is 14.1 oz. Probably not unlimited vertical but adequate for now.

I used Dollar Tree foam board with the paper left on. I didn't have any colored tape but I did have some scrap SolarFilm. Per the instructions you apply SolarFilm with an iron set at 100C/212F. I tested on a scrap piece of the foam board and it didn't damage board so I went with it. I had scraps of red, white, and blue so I did a stars and stripes theme.

As soon as we get some nice weather I will let you know how it flies. Many thanks to Bloody Micks for the plans!

-Mark
MkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MkFlyer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:01 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Nice neat build. Looks good.

Funny we both installed a hatch for the Rx in exactly the same place. I just taped mine close though.

One thing i would suggest is some hot glue on the servos, i doubt the screws alone will hold the foam for long.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:49 AM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
787 Posts
That's a great looking plane, MK, you'll love it!

I found a scroll saw on the local Craig's list and it has really come in handy for cutting thin plywood or several laminations of foam.

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:38 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,850 Posts
Strip the Paper and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkFlyer View Post
I just finished my Funbat build. ... I used Dollar Tree foam board with the paper left on. ... As soon as we get some nice weather I will let you know how it flies. -Mark
If you stripped the paper off the foam board, and applied packing tape before starting to glue things together, I doubt you would have had as much trouble with the nose weight/COG issue. The paper is very heavy. When putting the packing tape on, do the over-lapping of the edges in the direction you expect more stiffness/strength may be needed. Think like a roofer when applying the tape. Iron on plastic film is another great option, but you probably won't want to cut 2" strips and apply like packing tape with overlapped edges. In that case, you may want to add a 1" strip of fiber tape over the COG location on the wing, and down the center line of the fuselage. Some folk do the same thing on the leading edge of the rudder and stabilizer before applying the iron on plastic film. There is no need to fold the fiber tape over the leading edge, which tends to add problems with a smooth lay-down. You might find it better to do the fold over with the iron on covering. Just some ideas to try on another one, if you decide to make another.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Last edited by Tsavah; Mar 02, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: s
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
There is a video here of how to cover with packing tape. I do mine a little different by cutting out my parts with the paper still on and then removing it. All the tape is applied before assembly, being careful to leave glue joint areas exposed. I paint mine before taping.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:50 AM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
MK, that's going to look sharp in the air.
You did a nice job on the build too!
A video of it flying would be awesome!
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
8 Posts
Thanks nogas. I probably will hot glue the servos to be safe.

Don, I do have a scroll saw in the shed I will give it a go. In the past I had problem cutting a clean straight line.

I will consider removing the paper next time. I am thinking about a prime jet 8 next and plans specifically call for removing the paper. Taking off the paper after removing the parts is a good idea.

I will probably order some colored sealing tape. For the Funbat build I was using what I had laying around.

Thanks Nico. I will try and get one of my flying buddies to get some video.

-Mark
MkFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MkFlyer
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:54 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,157 Posts
Can't have Nico having all the fun so I'm building a Mini Funbat to complete my set. Using 3mm depron and KFm-4 wing of 16.5"span , total length 12". Will use 2 x HXT500 5 gram servos, 10 amp esc, 360-500 3 cell lipo and this 22 gram 2050kv motor
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/2050kv-mic...otor-p-48.html
All up weight is a porky (compared with Nico's 54.3g) 135 grams with the 500 3 cell but I'm confident it will fly but might be a bit quick for anything other than outdoors
Will post some pictures when she's all finished but for now here is my recently repaired "standard" Funbat cutting through the wind.
Funbat on a windy day (2 min 7 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain