HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2011, 06:29 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Will the Funbat fly (well) with the CG at 2.5"? Can anyone confirm for sure?

I whipped one out the last few evenings I can't get the CG any more forward than 2.5" without adding weight to the nose.

I'm trying the little Emax CF2822 1300kv with a GWS 8x4 prop, 20a esc and 1300mah 3s lipos.

AUW is 13.8oz. with (supposed) 24oz. of thrust, so adding a bit of weight to the nose shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts on control throws? TLAR? I was thinking 1/4" on the ailerons and 3/8-1/2" on the elevator to start with.

I used 6mm depron for the entire build, a 6mmx2mm flat c/f spar (stood upright), some 1/8" ply for the motor mount, a splash of paint and some clear Duct tape here and there for extra protection.

Looking forward to putting her in the air soon...
Looks great. I flew my latest build with a CG of about 2.25" back and it was a tad tail heavy but trimmable and flew good, not sure I wouldn't go much further back than that. Your throws are spot on. I have dual rates set a bit higher on ailerons but its a bit crazy in the rolls on high rates

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2011, 10:55 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
FunBat - Coroplast Version

Here is my Coroplast version of the FunBat.

It is all 4mm Coro, with a fiberglass pushrod used for a spar (no CF on hand). I used gorilla glue throughout - a first time for me, so I'm curious how it will hold up.

Built per plans. The only mod I made was to move the elevator servo to the right side of the fuselage - to allow me to move it forward (for CG) and to offset the ESC & Rx weight on the left side for lateral balance.I should have extended the nose out 1" - 2" to help balance the plane. A Coro build will be heavier rear of the CG, as that's where most of the material is (Coro is heavier than foam). I ended up putting about 1.7 oz. of weight in the nose, just in front of the pilot.

She balances out at 2"- 2.25", just rear of the recommended 1.75". I didn't want to add any more weight, as she's heavy enough already. AUW is right at 20 oz.

Motor is a 2410-12D from headsuprc swinging a 9X4.7 prop. Using my old, wore out 1250/10C 3S battery I got 120W @ 11A.

The motor is a bit small for the weight, but I wanted to use what was lying around. In fact, everything on this plane I already had - a no $$$ RTF !!!

I was pleased with how she flew, considering it's a heavy bird. Turns very nicely & almost too responsive in roll
(I need to add expo). Elevator response was good - she'll do a nice tight loop.
Balance seemed OK - she didn't need a ton of up stick to fly inverted (perhaps a little more than I would like).
Power off glide is stable, but expectedly steep. You need to come in under power & chop the throttle just before impact. You can see on the video I pulled back on the throttle too soon & ended up landing short.

I let my buddy take the sticks on the second flight & he unfortunately nosed it in while seeing how many rolls he could do. Other than the pilot ejecting and the bent shaft, there is no other damage - a testament to a good sturdy combat design!

All in all, I think this will be a great combat plane. A little bit heavy & a little bit underpowered, but she'll certainly take abuse. Well done Jon!

FunBat Maiden (2 min 17 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Last edited by gatorlynch; May 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old May 09, 2011, 11:41 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts

Yeah, I think your prop could need a little balancing....LMAO!!!
Nice FunBat, well done
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old May 09, 2011, 06:21 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Flight#2

Got my shaft replaced. Actually the rotor itself was also bent out of round (spares are a good thing) - he really must have doinked it in good!

I think I'm going to switch to a GWS 9X5 on a prop saver. Perhaps a little more speed & for sure easier on props & shafts.

I need to work on the aim & tilt of my hatcam ...

FunBat - Flight #2 (0 min 47 sec)
Old May 09, 2011, 06:46 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Nice flying and landing Gatorlynch!

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 09, 2011, 08:32 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Nice Flyin Gator, Looks Like It flies great. I love the Pilot, its a nice touch.

Never done 6 rolls before? man you need to come fly with us lol, try 6 rolls in a second (not a set-up I recommend lol) I always like quick rolls on most of my builds.

Jon
Old May 09, 2011, 09:29 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Jon -

Every combat plane should have a pilot! He came from my "decommissioned" Airfield F4U.

That was my flying buddy who was talking about the rolls - the one who rolled it right into terra firma...

This design will definitely roll all you want to - I ended up putting 35% expo on the ailerons. Most of my flying recently has been with my 2M sailplane, so I'm not used a responsive hot rod like this one.

Again, thanks for a great design! Now I've got to get my buddies up 'n running with their combat ships so we can commence to streamer cutting!
Old May 09, 2011, 09:31 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlynch View Post
Jon -

Every combat plane should have a pilot! He came from my "decommissioned" Airfield F4U.

That was my flying buddy who was talking about the rolls - the one who rolled it right into terra firma...

This design will definitely roll all you want to - I ended up putting 35% expo on the ailerons. Most of my flying recently has been with my 2M sailplane, so I'm not used a responsive hot rod like this one.

Again, thanks for a great design! Now I've got to get my buddies up 'n running with their combat ships so we can commence to streamer cutting!
One of the reasons I went simple on the design was because at my flying field we never think to bring streamers lol, so its full contact all the way

Jon
Old May 12, 2011, 12:00 AM
Joined Oct 2010
496 Posts
props to bloody micks rc

I just wanted to take a minute to thank Jon at bloody micks for the A+++++ service. He had forgot to include the motor mounts in my order. When i emailed them they replied right away and sent me them the next day.

I am looking forward to flying them with my son. I havent flown planes yet but fly multicopter and cp helli (alright crash the cp alot). I think i will have to buy a 2 cell though to slow it down a bit.

Thanks again!

here is one of my multiwiicopter flights
multiwiicopter gopro (5 min 7 sec)
rollinolin is offline Find More Posts by rollinolin
Old May 12, 2011, 12:02 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Gator

Just watched your second video, nice flying and nice FunBat
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old May 12, 2011, 06:42 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinolin View Post
I just wanted to take a minute to thank Jon at bloody micks for the A+++++ service. He had forgot to include the motor mounts in my order. When i emailed them they replied right away and sent me them the next day.

I am looking forward to flying them with my son. I havent flown planes yet but fly multicopter and cp helli (alright crash the cp alot). I think i will have to buy a 2 cell though to slow it down a bit.

Thanks again!

here is one of my multiwiicopter flights
Glad they got to you OK. I do hope you and your son have a blast with them!! Thank you for the kind words as well. I am a firm believer in "Treat other the way you want to be treated." It makes it all worth it to me when I get positive feedback!!

Jon
Old May 15, 2011, 01:05 AM
Joined Oct 2010
496 Posts
instructions

I noticed on flight test episode they folded the wing with spar openings on top and bottom. Is that how you are supposed to do it? or do the spar openings come together on the inside? I did it with a wooden dowel as a spar on the inside.
When doing it this way though the pre cut flaps dont have full movement in the up possition. Is this wrong? will i have enough throw to climb?

Also should the prop be clockwise or counter clockwise?

rollinolin is offline Find More Posts by rollinolin
Last edited by rollinolin; May 15, 2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:23 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
This thread takes me back to the old "Blue Funder" thread and the evolution of the design we saw there that ultimately looked a lot like this plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=552064

Kinda cool to see this design show up again. I have been wanting to get a friend of mine into RC to fly combat and this style of plane couldn't be easier or cheaper to use for that purpose.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old May 15, 2011, 08:01 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinolin View Post
I noticed on flight test episode they folded the wing with spar openings on top and bottom. Is that how you are supposed to do it? or do the spar openings come together on the inside? I did it with a wooden dowel as a spar on the inside.
When doing it this way though the pre cut flaps dont have full movement in the up possition. Is this wrong? will i have enough throw to climb?

Also should the prop be clockwise or counter clockwise?
the throw available is about 45° which is way more than you will need. you will only need about 1/4" of throws up and down on ailerons and only about 1/4" to 1/2" on elevator. the only reason the bevels end up on top is I can only cut one side of a sheet. when cutting them out by hand from the plans this could be modified but you have the KFm2 fold correct. It is supposed to trap the spar inside the wing.

as for prop rotation, guess that would depend on what style of prop you use, but a counter rotating prop is not needed.

Jon
Old May 15, 2011, 08:04 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal View Post
This thread takes me back to the old "Blue Funder" thread and the evolution of the design we saw there that ultimately looked a lot like this plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=552064

Kinda cool to see this design show up again. I have been wanting to get a friend of mine into RC to fly combat and this style of plane couldn't be easier or cheaper to use for that purpose.
yea I found the Blu-Funder thread when I was designing this plane so it got some of its origin from that plane. I originally was going to just do the BluFunder for our combat planes and then re-designed it totally with TE wing sweep and fold up fuse. i read further along the thread and found the modified it about the same way I did on the wing. The one I built to plans from the bluFunder page was a great flyer i like my version a bit better in looks and flight, but I am biased

Jon