rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2011, 06:12 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Thanks Jon

I just printed out the plans. Will cut out the model from 6mmDepron and will be using a Mystery 40amp ESC and a Turnigy2836 brushless Outrunner 2350kv motor with a 6x 4 prop.

Should fly good!
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old May 05, 2011, 10:37 PM
The Ottoman Flyer
USA, TX, Galveston
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
Has any one thought about making the wings a bit larger and making it a twin motor plane ?
Ottomite is offline Find More Posts by Ottomite
Old May 05, 2011, 10:39 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSudiSavage View Post
Has any one thought about making the wings a bit larger and making it a twin motor plane ?
Not me!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 08, 2011, 01:18 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,030 Posts
Funbat with a little twist

I mentioned before that I really like the concept of this model. Just personalized it a bit. Moved the tail forward 1.375" and added a few radii.

Plan is to fly with a 1700 Kv BW and 1000 mAh 2s on a 7x6 prop. AUW will be 7 - 7.5 oz. Alternatively use a 3s battery to pump the watts. Still not more than 8.5 oz.

This plane has around 200 sq. in. of wing area. The 2s setup provides 65 watts. With the optimum AUW of 7 oz thats 148 watts per lb. with a wing loading of 5 oz per sq. ft.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; May 08, 2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old May 08, 2011, 08:07 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I made a quick one out of pink foam and it flies great. Also have everything up against the front and using an 800ma 3S it balances well. I might try another one - and painted this time - but stretch the nose like someone suggested. Maybe 2cm. Or just use a heavier battery. I'm using the HC red wonder 1500kv with 8x4. Would a high kv (3000+) motor and a 5" prop be nuts? I have one laying around.
you could add some nose to it, but I think I may have been conservitively nose heavy. I am going to change the CG on the plans to be a range looks like for sure 1.75" - 2.25" from the LE works great.

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old May 08, 2011, 08:08 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
I mentioned before that I really like the concept of this model. Just personalized it a bit. Moved the tail forward 1.375" and added a few radii.

Plan is to fly with a 1700 Kv BW and 1000 mAh 2s on a 7x6 prop. AUW will be 7 - 7.5 oz. Alternatively use a 3s battery to pump the watts. Still not more than 8.5 oz.

This plane has around 200 sq. in. of wing area. The 2s setup provides 65 watts. With the optimum AUW of 7 oz thats 148 watts per lb. with a wing loading of 5 oz per sq. ft.

Ken
I like, most of my planes have nice curves. But the goal on this design was simple, durable, and one sheet of Foam board. I got 2 out of 3 But simple meant I went for all straight lines that are easy to cut with a straight edge and a knife.

JOn
Old May 08, 2011, 08:26 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,030 Posts
Jon,

Not a critique of your design. I like your design. I just have some additional capacity to add my personal flair. That is a characteristic of a good design. Kudos to you!

Thanks for sharing,
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 08, 2011, 08:33 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Jon,

Not a critique of your design. I like your design. I just have some additional capacity to add my personal flair. That is a characteristic of a good design. Kudos to you!

Thanks for sharing,
Ken
OH I love to see people mod my designs and get others takes on them. I have been really surprised with the wide spread love of this plane. It was one of my simplest designs yet and the most built of all of them so far. I am working on getting some of my older designs on my site from where they are currently posted but MOD away I like curves and sexy lines. I was just telling you the why behind the lack of them

I can't wait to see your build, so far the lightest build I have seem came in at 9oz with something along the lines of a blu wonder on a small 3s pack.

I have 2 mods of my own I am going to do, I want to mod one to a twin motor (pair of blu wonders) and mount a cam and tx for FPV. This would be a fun one for close in acrobatic FPV. I also want to mod one super light by peeling all the paper and not adding a motor for a bomb dropped glider.

also going to way over power one for super speed, I am wondering how fast I can make this one go lol.

Jon
Old May 08, 2011, 03:13 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Jon,

Here it is! This is a fast build model.

There is 500 sq. in. of foam in this build. Other combat models I have built with this volume of foam and planned equipment have come out the the predicted 7-7.5 oz AUW.

Ken
very nice, is that phlat printer'd? I like the bulkhead and split top fuse. I may steal a couple of your ideas

and I get told I go fast with my builds, lol that was quick from sketch up(?) to built.

I love the shape changes as well, very nice lines. she should be a nice flyer.

Jon
Old May 08, 2011, 06:48 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,030 Posts
Jon,

Would you be interested in the SU file. I do use Phlatscript, and it is Phlatprinter'd. Though my own version of a Phlatprinter.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 08, 2011, 09:34 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Jon,

Would you be interested in the SU file. I do use Phlatscript, and it is Phlatprinter'd. Though my own version of a Phlatprinter.

Ken
I don't work in SU personally, I can't figure my way around in that one for some reason. Think its cause I got used to autoCAD. I also don't use a phlat printer either I use my home built 3 axis CNC, 48"x48" cut Solsylva.

Great machine, Plans were easy to build from although I have made several modifications to mine. I am currently enrolled in a Precision Machining degree course at the local community college so I can learn to do even more with mine. Will be learning Solid works by next spring, then the fun starts, Full 3D models . I am really looking forward to learning to do so much more than I currently know how.

Thanks though, I can easily mod my current cad files to include the split top hatch, probably my favorite change you made. I like the strength of the miter folds on both sides instead of the 45 seam.

Jon
Old May 08, 2011, 09:59 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,017 Posts
One more ready!

Will the Funbat fly (well) with the CG at 2.5"? Can anyone confirm for sure?

I whipped one out the last few evenings I can't get the CG any more forward than 2.5" without adding weight to the nose.

I'm trying the little Emax CF2822 1300kv with a GWS 8x4 prop, 20a esc and 1300mah 3s lipos.

AUW is 13.8oz. with (supposed) 24oz. of thrust, so adding a bit of weight to the nose shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts on control throws? TLAR? I was thinking 1/4" on the ailerons and 3/8-1/2" on the elevator to start with.

I used 6mm depron for the entire build, a 6mmx2mm flat c/f spar (stood upright), some 1/8" ply for the motor mount, a splash of paint and some clear Duct tape here and there for extra protection.

Looking forward to putting her in the air soon...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 09, 2011, 01:02 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,768 Posts
Nice paint job. One suggestion would be to use a prop saver as this might save you some broken props.
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain