Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:23 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
Oops, I broke my Funbat today. The fuse separated from the wing and the wing cracked behind the KFM step. It's made of Doillar Tree foamboard. I don't have epoxy or foamsafe CA handy. Would it be OK to use low-temp hot glue or should I run to Wally World for Epoxy?
I handed my original FB over to my brother on the weekend and he took it for a spectacular tumble, WOT and clipped a wingtip on the ground. Broke into 3 separate pieces. I just packing-taped it all togther again and had her flying about 5 mins later. Gave all the folks at the airfield a bit of a chuckle Since I use Depron, I use UHU Por for more permanent repairs. There is a nice bit of flex in the Por that CA just doesn't have.

Quote:
I've been making a funbat variant myself. It's not nearly as modified as the Stingray so I reckon it is still a modded FB, not a new plan. I'll post some pics once I have it assembled and ready to maiden.

I've shortened the top of the vertical surfaces,
narrowed the tail (+extended the elevator slightly to compensate for lost deflection area),
made it a mid-wing instead of a top-wing with rounded tips on the leading-edge, and
used a kfm4 (3mm steps) instead of a kfm2 (6mm step).
Update on my FB variant.

She flies but not real pretty. I still managed a relatively controlled landing. I think with a few further modifications it will work better.

Quote:
I am also thinking of raising the front of the fuse, the part that extends forward of the wing's LE, about a half inch to raise the thrust line closer to the wing line. Do you think that will make any difference?
just a FYI for others trying this..one thing I noticed with my mods was the introduction of some kind of torque roll. I think it was the product of bringing the thrustline up into the wing-plane. At low revs it was manageable but it became much worse with higher revs. Think I need to introduce some down &/or right thrust to counter act it. CoG was also out but that is easily fixable.
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wormboy; Dec 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:38 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
Oops, I broke my Funbat today. The fuse separated from the wing and the wing cracked behind the KFM step. It's made of Doillar Tree foamboard. I don't have epoxy or foamsafe CA handy. Would it be OK to use low-temp hot glue or should I run to Wally World for Epoxy?
See post 115 and this video of my wing separation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Mx9XBsZK2ys
I used UHU Por (Creative) for my build but the cartwheel just prior to the video must have broken the bond sufficient to cause the structural failure. I have since inserted a 6mm depron piece between the fuse and wing to increase the surface area and ran a thin bead of hot glue between the fuse and wing.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:58 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,480 Posts
That one caught me by surprise ! wow

You must not have enough rubberbands holding your wing on !!! Kidding :-) ....

These plastics seem to hold the glue well MOST of the time
but certain situations tend to loosen the stuff.

Especially water based glues that tend to shrink after time.
My original Sea Dart build literally fell apart.

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:58 AM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
I should have it ready for it's maiden this weekend.I'm using a Little Screamer motor on a 3s 800mah lipo putting out about 100 watts.But it looks like it will balance at about 2" instead of 1.75".What motor and lipo setup is being used?
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Dec 14, 2011, 03:20 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
623 Posts
1800kv Himodel + 7x5 prop + 1300mah 3S
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:14 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,880 Posts
Same set up as Wormboy ( well he did follow my recommendation) on mine apart from a 3 cell 1000 mah pack. This is the newer version from my UK mail order supplier http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a220812-18...-p-405608.html
I really rate this set up for the standard size version. It really rips and vertical is unlimited. Just look back over my Funbat/Clearview sim hybrid video posted earlier in this thread
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:38 PM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
I guess that will make up for the nose weight that's needed.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 03:58 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
784 Posts
Nico, that's a gorgeous plane!

Here's mine. I combined the Stingray wing from Ken with the standard FB wing so I have a 32" span and a longer nose on it. I'm using a 2212-10 with a 1300 3s and it balances right in front of the spar. I raised the motor a half inch and built in some 'down' and added a washer of 'right' under the motor x-mount. Hope to maiden it in a few days--it was 64 here this afternoon!

Bob, you can see I just cut a half inch strip of Depron and glued it to the fromt of the fuse between the firewall and the leading edge of the wing and then put on a white Depron 'cap' over the top. My receiver is in the fuse under the wing.

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:12 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer View Post
I should have it ready for it's maiden this weekend.I'm using a Little Screamer motor on a 3s 800mah lipo putting out about 100 watts.But it looks like it will balance at about 2" instead of 1.75".What motor and lipo setup is being used?
2408-21 motor with APC 7x6 and 800mah. It's fast enough for me but watch the flight time on smaller lipos. What are the specs on that motor. A link would be great.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:29 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
623 Posts
Looking forward to hearing the maiden report Don!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:37 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,480 Posts
Chris1379:
I've purchased from this guy ...
http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r...otor_home.html

Beemerdon:

OK ~ 1/2" added to the top !
Then a cover on that.
Plus the Angle down

Any Right thrust ?

Let me retouch the drawings and get back to you

Bob
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:11 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
784 Posts
Bob, for right thrust I just put a washer under the two legs of the left sides of the motor's x-mount. It's just enough that you can tell it's there but not as much as the PZ Corsair or T-28. Can't wait to see how it flies with this huge wing! Oh, one pound, 475 grams all up with a 1300 3s battery.

Don
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:22 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,480 Posts
It took a lot of effort and CAD time, But I have it done.

The StingBat at 30" span fits on 1 1/2 sheets of 13 x 39 depron.

So I can "DO" it for the same price as the original FunBat.

Here are the Parts in pdf.

I will add this to my web site tomorrow too.

Hey Beemerdon ??
Would you Mind if I use one of YOUR pix for an example on my page ?

Enjoy

Bob
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:44 AM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
784 Posts
Bob, sure, use the photos and I can send another if you need it. I am talking this up to my guys here in Charlotte. We have been looking for a combat plane and tried the one that's 48" span but it was just a large plank. I think this looks better and will be more fun.

I think by extending the leading edge forward, and then adding a little more for the nose, I was able to solve the tail-heavy problem some of the early versions seemed to have.

Don
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:29 PM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
Nico, that's a gorgeous plane!

Here's mine. I combined the Stingray wing from Ken with the standard FB wing so I have a 32" span and a longer nose on it. I'm using a 2212-10 with a 1300 3s and it balances right in front of the spar. I raised the motor a half inch and built in some 'down' and added a washer of 'right' under the motor x-mount. Hope to maiden it in a few days--it was 64 here this afternoon!

Bob, you can see I just cut a half inch strip of Depron and glued it to the fromt of the fuse between the firewall and the leading edge of the wing and then put on a white Depron 'cap' over the top. My receiver is in the fuse under the wing.

Don

Thank You !!

I think I'll need to modify my FB.It need over an oz added to the noise to balance out.If thats the case I'll switch out the Little Screamer for a speed Microdan motor and go from 800mah lipo to a 1300mah lipo.
I guess I'll be putting this airframe to it never exceed stress test.