HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:37 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,304 Posts
So after getting up EARLY, on the West Coast, I managed a peak at the Eclipse
just before the morning fog and clouds came roaring in. :-(

Being UP I decided to rework my plans for the Funbat into Stingbat plans.
I trust that Ken and Don are kewel with this.

After checking the KFM2 sticky to insure that 50% on top was correct.

1st, I swept back the wing and rounded the tip
Then I placed a bunch of lines between the LE and TE edges ( RED )
and then placed DOTS at the MID points ( 50% ) for the KF top piece.
Finally I connected all the dots with a Curvefitting linestring matched to the 50% dots.
Ya cant get any more KFM2 than that , from root to tip .

Enjoy

Regarding the CG location, here is a quote from the KFM sticky thread ...

" The KF airfoil has a much greater range for its center of gravity (CG). A conventional airfoil would normally have a CG about 33% back. The KF airfoil can be moved back as much as 40%, thus allowing it to carry a heavier payload. The further back the center of gravity is the more desirable it is because of the center of balance. And, the KF airfoil can also handle a shifting CG and still give you good control authority. "

Bob

EDit L8r:

I was reminded that the KFM percentage includes the Ailerons. Duhhh ?
My excuse is the time I did it - LIKE EARLY real EARLY Eclipse Early !

So I reworked the parts and have deleted the OLD and uploaded the new.

There ya go

L8r

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Dec 10, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:22 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
771 Posts
Very nice, Bob, I think I am going to truncate the very front of mine also, to match the width of the fuselage. I am also thinking of raising the front of the fuse, the part that extends forward of the wing's LE, about a half inch to raise the thrust line closer to the wing line. Do you think that will make any difference?

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:48 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,713 Posts
Getting Tiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
BUMPING THIS QUESTION U AGAIN
I'm not computer savvy and downloaded the proper programs and i still can't get it to tile the right size is there anyone here who know someone on this site that can come over to this post and tiled it in 8x11 format
PLEASE
Dang, I am getting forgetful, but I do remember some of the guys who have been on RC Groups for a long time know how to do that. Maybe Headless will spread the word for you. I am still learning how to do a lot of stuff and have yet to start on tiling plans. Maybe if you go through the blogs others have left and see someone offering a tiled plan you can ask them to help? There may be a thread about how to do that, but you would have to use the search option.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:24 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,775 Posts
You can use PosteRazor to tile plans and best of all it's free
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
Adobe 10 can also create tiled plans
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,133 Posts
When you add a KFM step, don't you have to take the area of the ailerons into account also? I'm sure it's not critical but just asking?
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:56 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,304 Posts
Chris1379;
Interesting Question.

I'm thinking The ailerons DO Need to be figured in there.

So I guess I'd better go back and Do it again WITH the 'Rons, eh ? !

Be right back

Bob

The NEW file is Up in original post.

Wheeew !
Last edited by birdofplay; Dec 10, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:37 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Dang, I am getting forgetful, but I do remember some of the guys who have been on RC Groups for a long time know how to do that. Maybe Headless will spread the word for you. I am still learning how to do a lot of stuff and have yet to start on tiling plans. Maybe if you go through the blogs others have left and see someone offering a tiled plan you can ask them to help? There may be a thread about how to do that, but you would have to use the search option.
i did just that and someone posted the plans for me

30 pages laid out on my floor . this bird is huge . its going to be really nice see my page on the previous page post number 330 it has the link to the file .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:14 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,133 Posts
So we have a Stingbat and a 39" in the works. Looking forward to seeing both of them. Just out of curiosity, what kind of power would it take to get a 39" Funbat to fly. It doesn't have to be fast. I have 2200mah packs for my 450 heli but no super powerful motors.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:34 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
So we have a Stingbat and a 39" in the works. Looking forward to seeing both of them. Just out of curiosity, what kind of power would it take to get a 39" Funbat to fly. It doesn't have to be fast. I have 2200mah packs for my 450 heli but no super powerful motors.
im going to use a 400 size motor "22000 kv" from headsuprc.com its called the power up 400zoom motor. i use it to power a polaris which is a pretty decent size bird and auw is 24oz and that bird flies well over 55mph. the funbat is probably going to weigh the same . im not looking for the funbat to be fast ,but thats the only motor i have laying around.

this is the motor ,and the price is great the motor is awesome
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:01 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,133 Posts
If you can, weigh the airframe before you add the electronics. I was thinking of a lower KV motor with a 9" prop.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:10 AM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
771 Posts
Bob, that 'Stingbat' wing looks great; what are the dimensions? Did you sweep it back from its original leading edge? Is the span the same?

I laid the Stingry plan over the FB plan and the sweep goes FORWARD of the leading edge, giving an almost 11" chord, and it increased the span to the 32" of the 'Ray. I made a line right down the middle of the FB plan and set that against the factory edge of some 19x27 Depron and got both halves out of that.

I love the kurved KFm step you have!

I have a 2212/10 motor for it that came from a Funder and Lightnin' that is now in foamy heaven.

Don
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:34 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,304 Posts
Not having anything to go on but your first post and pic I simply swept back the
oroginal LE .

Since the original "Just Fits" on 13x39 depron, increasing the wing was not even considered. I am always considering the constraint of Fit Into a Box as well.

Possibly a drawing with your dimensions could help me do a better job.
Plus you were talking about changing the fuse too. A Simple skecth is OK !

The Kurved KFm was just an attempt at matching your original Style :-)

I have not cut anything yet ! All is just an exercise in CAD.
Anything can be changed.

B'sides I'm working on a scalish Cherokee 180 just now.
A full fuse foamy with 6 servos and tri LG.

L8r

Bob
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:31 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,133 Posts
Oops, I broke my Funbat today. The fuse separated from the wing and the wing cracked behind the KFM step. It's made of Doillar Tree foamboard. I don't have epoxy or foamsafe CA handy. Would it be OK to use low-temp hot glue or should I run to Wally World for Epoxy?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:42 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
771 Posts
I crashed and repaired my last plane so many times it was mostly hot glue with just enough foam left to give the glue some shape! I think wither one will do the job on that foamboard.

How did the fuse get separated from the wing? How were they attached? I am thinking of hot-gluing my fuse to the wing, just tacking it in several places, rather than gluing it.

Don
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
I crashed and repaired my last plane so many times it was mostly hot glue with just enough foam left to give the glue some shape! I think wither one will do the job on that foamboard.

How did the fuse get separated from the wing? How were they attached? I am thinking of hot-gluing my fuse to the wing, just tacking it in several places, rather than gluing it.

Don
A hard landing broke it. I originally used epoxy but it seems to be brittle and doesn't stick to the surface of Readiboard very well. I know hot glue is lighter so there's no reason to just tack it. My fear with hot glue is having it melt on a very hot day. Has that ever happened to anyone?