HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:31 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSudiSavage View Post
After seeing the plane on Flight Test I decided to give it a try.
She looks nice given that this is my first ever plane build

Im using a 1780kv motor with a 7x3.5 prop build using dollar tree foam i will add a wooden dowel to reduce the wing droop when i get a chance and im waiting on my batts to come in to maiden her

Yall think the 7x3.5 prop will work on this plane ? as soon as i maiden her i will build a 2nd one and do some combat flying with a friend
looks good, as far as prop goes, not sure which motor you are using, but with a 2200kV motor I fly on a 6x3 - 6x4 they both give more than enough power.

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:35 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Did you peel off the paper?

I was wondering because of the wing droop, with the paper on it shouldn't need any sparing. but without it can come in under 9oz.

I leave the paper on myself on most of my builds with Readi Board.

Jon
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:09 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,428 Posts
Jon--did you ever try the EMAX CF2822 motor?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:02 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Jon--did you ever try the EMAX CF2822 motor?
Sorry missed replying to your first post, I must have spaced out a bit lol.

No I havent but I have seen several different motors used so far all with great results. That is however a motor I wanted to try as it looks like a perfect fit and the thrust would be nuts with a 9x5 prop lol, but even with an 8x4 it should be a great fit. 9x5 should pull great VTO's and cruise around at less than half throttle with plenty of power to spare.

Jon
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:21 PM
The Ottoman Flyer
USA, TX, Galveston
Joined May 2010
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtitan View Post
Did you peel off the paper?

I was wondering because of the wing droop, with the paper on it shouldn't need any sparing. but without it can come in under 9oz.

I leave the paper on myself on most of my builds with Readi Board.

Jon
I did peal some of it off. The fuselage and some part of the wing is missing paper but wing is also reinforced with tape along with the paper. The wing droop wasn't there till I decide to take the pic. Maybe for the 2nd one I'll keep all of the paper on it and see how that works out
Ottomite is offline Find More Posts by Ottomite
Old May 04, 2011, 10:40 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,428 Posts
Jon-- Did you add any right/down thrust to the motor?
Old May 05, 2011, 05:41 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
no I have not added any to my builds. it hasn't seemed to need it.

Jon
Old May 05, 2011, 06:08 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,428 Posts
Thanks Jon.

I assume you guys are mounting the Rx and esc on the outside of the fuse walls?

Anyone else have any build pics to share?
Old May 05, 2011, 06:37 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Here are a few details pics of my latest build. This build has no spar and the 1000kV motor with 10x5 prop. after this build I will say Sparring is optional with a slower motor but more than recommended with Higher kV motors.

the pics show where I put my ESC, rx, and Servos. I also set the CG at about 2.5" from the LE on the maiden to see how it handles a more aft CG. worked out fine there as well so I will try to move it back a bit more next time out.

Jon
Old May 05, 2011, 06:39 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
Jon,

I really like the way you have designed this airplane. It fits my construction philosophy. Add glue, fold, and tape!

Should be able to get two of these birds out of a single sheet of FFF. Your kit price is good. What kind of foam comes with the kit?

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 05, 2011, 06:43 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Jon,

I really like the way you have designed this airplane. It fits my construction philosophy. Add glue, fold, and tape!

Should be able to get two of these birds out of a single sheet of FFF. Your kit price is good. What kind of foam comes with the kit?

Ken
I can cut out of anything pretty much but I use readi-board for the kits, mostly because I like it more than Elmers-board, its lighter. It is also in a price range where I can offer the kits at I decent price. I don't order enough foam yet for a wholesaler to want to deal with me

I want to try some Depron, everyone says its better but I doubt it. I can't say for sure though till I have crashed them side by side lol. So far the price has stopped me from trying it out although I am sure I can get better cuts with the paper, bluecore cuts like butter

Jon
Old May 05, 2011, 11:42 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtitan View Post
I can cut out of anything pretty much but I use readi-board for the kits, mostly because I like it more than Elmers-board, its lighter. It is also in a price range where I can offer the kits at I decent price. I don't order enough foam yet for a wholesaler to want to deal with me

I want to try some Depron, everyone says its better but I doubt it. I can't say for sure though till I have crashed them side by side lol. So far the price has stopped me from trying it out although I am sure I can get better cuts with the paper, bluecore cuts like butter

Jon
Are you leaving the paper on?

My experience with Depron has been less than desirable. Although the Depron Aero material that RC Foam sells is very, very nice. It has the flexibility that regular Depron does not.

What kind of wing area does this plane have?

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 05, 2011, 11:56 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,428 Posts
If I build one it will be out of 6mm Depron as I have some sheets on hand...
Old May 05, 2011, 01:59 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
I made a quick one out of pink foam and it flies great. Also have everything up against the front and using an 800ma 3S it balances well. I might try another one - and painted this time - but stretch the nose like someone suggested. Maybe 2cm. Or just use a heavier battery. I'm using the HC red wonder 1500kv with 8x4. Would a high kv (3000+) motor and a 5" prop be nuts? I have one laying around.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old May 05, 2011, 02:18 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,428 Posts
Where did you balance yours?