Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:54 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
Warm Iron and Cool Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Here are a few Pix of MY Bend. ... 2nd I used a monocote iron to seal down the packing tape. ... LASTLY, I heated up the bend with a few passes of a Monocote Heat Gun, on both sides (not too hot ) then simply Bent over the parts. ... Bob Northwest Cutout Service
Warming packing tape to soften the glue, some of which will bond to the foam better, is a great, but tricky way to get a better bond. When the glue on the tape starts to soften, it has the ability to "sink" into the foam better, or get a better "bite". The more informed about the chemical make up of the tape and glue would likely say the glue is trying to dissolve a bit of foam chemically, which was possible when the mild heat was applied. Hey, that is fine with me since the foam skin isn't harmed normally and even toughens up a bit in the process. Hard to complain about a better bond.
Tsavah is online now Find More Posts by Tsavah
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:50 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
OK Bob, I really like how you did that. I was so used to how I have done it I never even thought of doing it that way. Thanks for the pics!!

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:01 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,484 Posts
Well ..

I kinda just took the parts and did MY THANG !

I havent read thru the build thread yet.

Wingin' it ya know :-)

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:49 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
I'm running a UK sourced version of this Himodel 1800 kv motor http://www.himodel.com/electric/1800..._A2208_12.html with a 1000-1500 3 cell lipo and 7x4 prop.

Look at the video and I think you will agree that it fly's very well on that Hi model clone set up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=i7F8U8Afb-Y
Check out the vertical punch at 1 min and at 1 min 30sec. She will do unlimited vertical rolls. An absolute blast and flew her again on Sunday in winds that were blowing my 1.5 kg 48" BluCub over on it's back. Rock solid
Andy
Replaced my original power train with your suggested himodel set up. Its a totally different bird. Speed is better, vertical is solid. Everything feels heaps more fun. Just need to finish the brothers one so I can get into some funbat combat. Only issue is now that the prop is an E rather than a SF to go with the higher kv motor there is a lot less give on the belly landings. I knocked my shaft a little off centre but managed to coax it back to straight. Guess I need to work on my belly landings.

Mat
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wormboy; Oct 28, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:57 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,912 Posts
I'm glad you are enjoying the new set up. I use a prop saver for all my pullers in this power range although sometimes 2 bands might be needed. I also use prop savers on my pusher planes and have had no issues even when drawing 25 amps. Just check the retaining band for damage every so often.
Hope to finish my 39" Funbat this weekend although having some issues getting it to balance. It looks like the lipo will have to go under the wing so I'll leave the bottom sheeting until I'm happy. Will post pictures idc.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,623 Posts
after watching the videos and reading the remarks im going to have to make two ,one for combat and one for fun flying .with the motor/battery set up im going to use im hoping for 8-9min flight time since thats how much i get on my tuffwing with the same motor/bat set up . thanks for the build
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:09 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,912 Posts
39" version all finished and successfully maidened. Only issue was a reluctance for the motor to run at full power. The esc would cut all power almost as if hitting the lvc but the 2200 3 cell lipo had over 66% left in the tank. Changed prop from an 8x4 to a 7x6 and dropped in a Nano-tech 45/90 2200 3 cell pack. No issues with running at full power but the pack came down hot with signs of puffing. Remember, this is a pack good for 99 amps so clearly something is amiss. This Turnigy 1700 kv motor should only be pulling 27-29 amps from my previous watt meter testing
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...AXi_2808_.html
It last powered my GWS FW190 which I nosed in so I'm thinking it's suffered some damage internally. Will run it up on the watt meter before I risk it again.
Here are the picts showing the size comparison with my standard version. Vid to follow. The white top of the wing has been left blank as I'm thinking of adding a big bat sticker made from sticky backed plastic
Andy
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:22 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
A Wee Bit Bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
39" version all finished and successfully maidened. ... Here are the picts showing the size comparison with my standard version. Vid to follow. The white top of the wing has been left blank as I'm thinking of adding a big bat sticker made from sticky backed plastic
Andy
Sounds interesting and I like the idea of bigger.
Tsavah is online now Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:25 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,484 Posts
Just got another order, thanks Ed.

Is there a GROUND SWELL of interest in this design at DIFFERENT SIZES ?

Smaller, Larger, whatever ! ! !

39" ( 1 M ) makes good use of standard sized 13x39" depron sheeting.

Just askin :-)

L8r

Bob
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:38 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,484 Posts
Re size scaling ... for instance ~ 39 works easily

Bob

BTW

This version HAS top and bottom Fuse covers integrated or shown.
Plus the fuse has been TABBED together with tabs adjusted for scale to 6mm.
And the fuse is centered ( spanwise) on the wing.

Uses 3 sheets so production costs will rise by material cost and labor
plus boxing will be another $1 and then S&H go's up accordingly,
which makes all it appear disproportionate considering the original, sigh ...

$43

Sorry :-(
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:17 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,912 Posts
Video of the bigun now up on Youtube. The maiden performance was tame due to the motor cutting out above 50% power. The second flight was better. I think the airframe could handle a lot more power and weight. Wing is super stiff with that aluminium double glazing spacer sandwiched between the 6mm KF panels
Funbat Maxi (5 min 41 sec)

Andy
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:01 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,484 Posts
While doing the 39" version ( PDF above ) I thought I should also revisit the original.

To that end I've made some "improvements". See PDF.

The Bottom is now a tabbed in place flat separate piece.
The Fuse top plate is now included as opposed to just making it from scrap.
And I've squared a few things up ever so slightly.

Enjoy.

Bob
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:12 PM
United States, ME, Lisbon
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
Ok maybe I'll have to build it again with your new dimensions. My first Funbat was a great flyer and way too easy to put together.
JimR120 is offline Find More Posts by JimR120
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:20 PM
A 4's forever
United States, IL, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
289 Posts
Any tiled letter plans for the 39" funbat?
wildwillie63 is online now Find More Posts by wildwillie63
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:04 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,484 Posts
I dunno how. I only can make FULL pdf's