HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:09 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
great Video Headless, I need to get me a copy of CV so I can try the Funbat model. working on a V2 hope to find some time to finish it up soon and test fly it.

Thanks for sharing, you really managed to show off the handling of the Funbat

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:33 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtitan View Post
great Video Headless, I need to get me a copy of CV so I can try the Funbat model. working on a V2 hope to find some time to finish it up soon and test fly it.

Thanks for sharing, you really managed to show off the handling of the Funbat

Jon
Oh no, not a V2! It'll be better than the V1 and then I'll just have to build one
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:51 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Finally finished putting my color scheme on Tom's Clearview Funbat. I'm totally new to this so it was a learning experience.

Chris
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:43 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,156 Posts
That looks really good Chris. Any chance of a zip file or will this be posted on the Clearview site?
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:05 AM
I hate the post office..
Joined Jun 2011
88 Posts
I second that last request.. I like that starburst pattern on there.
FoamieFlying is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlying
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:50 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Thanks for the Kudos. Here is the zip file. It should just unzip into your models folder. Thanks to jhtitan for the plane design and tombo242 for the Clearview model. I didn't change any model parameters, just the colors.

For those who don't already know, the Funbat evolved from the Sig Wonder. Thanks to Bruce Tharpe for the inspiration.

Chris

PS: Updated file to correct a few errors.
Last edited by chris1379; Sep 05, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:56 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
And just in case you don't like the red and pink here are some additional colors. Simply create a new folder in C:\ClearViewRC\clearview\models\ with a name like Funbat Greenblue. Copy all the files from the Funbat Pink folder to it. Then pick the color file you want and unzip it into the model's "Data" folder such as C:\ClearViewRC\clearview\models\Funbat Greenblue\Data. Delete the existing Deckor.bmp file and rename your color file to Deckor.bmp. It will replace the original file and your colors will change.

Chris
Last edited by chris1379; Sep 03, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:16 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
Thanks for the Kudos. Here is the zip file. It should just unzip into your models folder. Thanks to jhtitan for the plane design and tombo242 for the Clearview model. I didn't change any model parameters, just the colors.

For those who don't already know, the Funbat evolved from the Sig Wonder. Thanks to Bruce Tharpe for the inspiration.

Chris
I would like to see an orange version kinda like the one I posted early on.

Thanks for posting the Sig Wonder, Man they look a lot alike. I actually based the Funbat on the BluFunder, but I am guessing the inspiration for the Funder came from the Sig Wonder.

I have been blown away with the response to this particular plane, It flys great, but my original intention was to get a model the was simple to build and from one sheet of dollar tree foam. keep the cost down and the build short. I wanted to get all the guys I fly with to build one (which never happened, some did some did not, but we have never had more than 3 in the air at once) and tear up some combat. When I sent a couple to "Flight Test" I never expected the response I got. I still get several emals a week wondering when or if I will be putting the pre-cut kits back up for sale. I would love to offer them again but just don't have the time to devote to cutting, packing and shipping now that I am working part time and going to school full time.

Thanks to everyone who has built and flown the FunBat, its been a great success. Hoping to find time this weekend to get me another built and ready to fly, or repair the one I have.

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:24 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Here is an orange one for you. I had to make a few changes in texture mapping so I just zipped the whole thing.

Chris
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:55 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,156 Posts
Thanks Chris for all your hard work in creating the various Clearview colour schemes.
Jon, perhaps you could have a word with Bob (birdofplay) re kitting the Funbat to reach a larger audience http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=80502. He's always interested in new designs and it would be great to see your model "take off" in this way.
Most of my club members still fly IC or the odd electric ARTF so little chance of major combat sessions. They don't know what their missing and for such a modest outlay. Best bang for the buck as you Americans would say.
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:51 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
I am starting to build my first Funbat out of 3/16" foam core. The plans do not account for any thrust angle in the motor mount, so I am wondering if I should just go with a standard 3 degree downward and rightward thrust angle by using washers?
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:11 PM
United States, ME, Lisbon
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
@gamerjoe
I didn't (intentionally) use any special angling. My first build was the truest to the drawings and the best flyer. My second build seemed to have some accidental up angle and it flew less desireably though I did change the airframe a bit. I just don't like the idea of a permanent vectored thrust and I've never been convinced of this need. But that is just my very humble opinion. I hope yours goes well and I hope you keep the forum notified.
JimR120 is offline Find More Posts by JimR120
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:29 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerjoe View Post
I am starting to build my first Funbat out of 3/16" foam core. The plans do not account for any thrust angle in the motor mount, so I am wondering if I should just go with a standard 3 degree downward and rightward thrust angle by using washers?
I would build it with no thrust angle and add washers if you think it needs them. Mine pitches up a little but I just added a little "down" elevator trim. The difference in pitch between upright and inverted seems to be there even on a glide so correcting with control surfaces seems more appropriate. The "down" trim is permanent but I added a throttle-elevator "up" mix for takeoff. You could also program 2 flight modes, with and without elevator trim. You could even do a 3rd mode with flaps but I haven't done that yet.

Chris
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:44 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,424 Posts
Anyone in the central Ohio area interested in a FunBat?

I planned on making 2 more for my flying buds so we could do streamers. After flying mine a bit they don't think they're quite ready

I posted pics of mine here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=44

Mine worked out very well, flys great, does Vertical Take-Offs (with some practice), etc. Just add your Rx and lipo.

If I cut the vertical tails off I could probably ship it pretty reasonably.

Shoot me a PM if interested....
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:49 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Funbat Review

Hi Guys,

I did a video review of the Funbat. I LOVE this plane, especially the VTOL.

Ep-18 Review: The Fun Bat (11 min 21 sec)
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42