HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:27 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
I am thinking the same thing, but I have already glued a Turnigy mini camera mount to a fancy US Air Force ball cap. This camera is twice the size of the key chain cameras I have, but the LiPo battery is removeable. I bet if I look, I can buy a charger for the battery and extra batteries. Now if only the hat can take the weight on the visor, or whatever you call that extended part.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:13 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
If anybody gets a speed reading on your Funbat, please post it here. I know mine's not the fastest Funbat but the Funbat is the fastest Foamie I've ever flown. RC Speedo seems like an easy way to get your speed.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
My interest in this design is as a tailless version flying only elevons increasing the "airleron/elevon" area just a little bit more and not doing rudder or elevator. Has anyone flown this way. I also do not plan to put a fuse on it. Sort of something like I did on this plane. Any suggestions or comments?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118625
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Aug 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:44 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf View Post
My interest in this design is as a tailless version flying only elevons increasing the "airleron/elevon" area just a little bit more and not doing rudder or elevator. Has anyone flown this way. I also do not plan to put a fuse on it. Sort of something like I did on this plane. Any suggestions or comments?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118625
Are you leaving the tail like it is? I would think the tail would reduce the effectiveness of the ailerons as elevators. Now if you eliminate the fuse and tail and put the vertical fins on the wingtips, you might have something.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Probably not as wide. Might do ailerons elevator. Either way, thinking only two servos. I don't see much use for a rudder in this design. Tell me what I am missing.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:15 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,206 Posts
After reading this thread I had to build one of these.
I call mine the FunbatBFU (Bigger,Fatter,Uglier)
I stretched the wingspan up to 30" and extended the nose 3/4". The forward section of the fuselage is fattened up to 2" square and I added a shelf from the nose back to where the fuse starts to taper. ESC sits on top of the shelf right behind the motor and the battery goes in from the bottom via a hatch that closes with magnets.
The tiger stripes were done with sharpies by my 11 year old son.

Maiden flight this afternoon went great, fast roll rate, tight loops and unlimited vertical. I'll try to get some video this weekend.

Here's my setup:

Motor: Turnigy 2830-1050kv
ESC: Turnigy Plush 25amp
Servos: HXT900
Battery: Zippy 1300mah 3s
Prop: GWS 9x5 DD
Tx: Spektrum DX5e
Rx: HobbyKing Orange 6ch
AUW: 17.5oz

Thanks jhtitan for the great design!
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:33 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
After reading this thread I had to build one of these.
I call mine the FunbatBFU (Bigger,Fatter,Uglier)
<SNIP>
You and your son did a great job. What material is it made from? Is that just a magnet catch on your battery compartment? Hope you enjoy it and my thanks to jhtitan and all who have contributed.

P.S. there may be a Clearview model of the Funbat soon. Tom over in the Funder & Lightning thread is working on one.

Chris
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:03 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
You and your son did a great job. What material is it made from? Is that just a magnet catch on your battery compartment? Hope you enjoy it and my thanks to jhtitan and all who have contributed.

P.S. there may be a Clearview model of the Funbat soon. Tom over in the Funder & Lightning thread is working on one.

Chris
Thanks
It's made from Dollartree foam board with the paper on. The battery hatch has a tape hinge and 2 rare earth magnets to hold it closed, 1 magnet glue into a plywood cross brace and the other glued into the hatch with a tape pull tab for easy opening.

Thanks for the tip on the Clearview model, I'll check it out.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:17 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,285 Posts
I love the color scheme gbmarsh.
If you have Clearview I would download the model as it flys very much like the real deal.
Head
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:26 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
I love the color scheme gbmarsh.
If you have Clearview I would download the model as it flys very much like the real deal.
Head
Thanks, the kid wants to do leopard skin for the next one, might have to rename ours 'Funcats'

Downloaded the CV model earlier tonight and have been messing with the parameters to set up for VTO.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:41 AM
United States, ME, Lisbon
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
GB,

I like the clean look of your FunBat and your son has an excellent hand in the graphics.

I know that a huge part of the fun is getting to do this with my son.

I have to ask, how does it fly? Have you flown the recommended dimensions for comparison? Anything you particularly like/dislike?

Jim
JimR120 is offline Find More Posts by JimR120
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:36 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,209 Posts
Jon...

You've done such a beautiful job with the design of the FunBat. It also invites others to use their creativity to make changes and experiment freely. That's the fun part of this great hobby. Being able to alter designs a bit so it feels like you've put a part of yourself into the build. And, being able to do all this without spending a fortune. It doesn't get better than that.

Dick
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:00 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR120 View Post
GB,

I like the clean look of your FunBat and your son has an excellent hand in the graphics.

I know that a huge part of the fun is getting to do this with my son.

I have to ask, how does it fly? Have you flown the recommended dimensions for comparison? Anything you particularly like/dislike?

Jim
Jim,

I did build one to original specs first but it crashed on it's maiden flight due to a bad rx. I built this one because I wanted to fit all the electronics inside the fuse and with the bigger motor I figured the extra bit of wingspan couldn't hurt. After the brief flight of my first one and having flown this one a couple of times now I would say the perfomance is about the same with maybe a bit better glide on this one.

Cheers,
Geoff
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:09 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,285 Posts
Hi all. Here is some footage of my Funbat flying well in 20 mph winds. Check out the speed and vertical performance
Interspersed in my flying footage is some Clearview video screen grabs using Ashampoo Snap 4. A bit jerky but it's my first attempt and nice to be able to mix the two. The original CV model flys much better. Enjoy
Funbat and Clearview Movie August 2011.wmv (3 min 18 sec)

Head
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:05 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
I finally got a speed on my Funbat. I did quite a few speed passes and ran them on RC Speedo. Only a couple were good enough to get readings. The fastest speed was 45.1 MPH. That's with a 2408-21 motor and 8x4 prop. AUW is 11 oz.

Headless, I'll bet you could get good readings from your original videos.