HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenChin View Post
I've tested the FunBat on slow speed. It seems to tail wag but i never had it bob up and down...
Do you mean tail wag side to side?
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:21 AM
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Yeah... Tail Wag side to side only on slow speed... At full throttle... Unlimited Vertical is no problem.
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:32 AM
United States, ME, Lisbon
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
Hello all. I'm working on my Funbat #2. #1 folded up like a cheap suit on about the sixth fly when I put in the 1.8A Lipo. This one has a few scrap balsa beams within the KFm2 which has been holding solid.

I'm doing some rework though to beef up the lateral flexing in the tail area that allows the vert stabs to shudder. If that's not enough I may install some stay lines, thinking of using floss.

I'm also puting on a taller fuselage that will allow me to land and perhaps take off in the yard without my 7x5 prop hitting the ground.

This has been the simplest and nimblest build I've done so far.
JimR120 is offline Find More Posts by JimR120
Last edited by JimR120; Jul 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:28 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Hi,

I finally got some video processed of flying my FunBat. So here is a not very well centered VTO ending in a IHL.

Ken
Funbat.wmv (1 min 10 sec)
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:28 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,137 Posts
I'm thinking about building one of these because the elevator function on my Blue Funder is not nearly enough. The one thing I can't figure out is how everyone is mounting the battery. Is there a door? Is it on the top or bottom? I'm OK with placing everything else because it doesn't have to move or be removed.
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:38 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1379 View Post
I'm thinking about building one of these because the elevator function on my Blue Funder is not nearly enough. The one thing I can't figure out is how everyone is mounting the battery. Is there a door? Is it on the top or bottom? I'm OK with placing everything else because it doesn't have to move or be removed.
I've got my battery mounted just under the CG through the fuselage. A hole on each side for the battery to pass through. Not elegant, but it works until I figure something better.

The ESC and RX are just behind the motor.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:01 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,283 Posts
Hi Chris
see post 109 for how I placed my lipo. I did lengthen the fuse to allow enough space for the 2mm correx access hatch.
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jul 27, 2011, 08:58 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Chris,

I placed my batteries from under the nose with velcro, inside the fuse. I used some scrap EPP and a hand held hot wire to shape a hatch to hold it firmly in place.

post #24 has pics of mine with the hatch visible, you can see the notch in it for holding the LiPo.

Hope that helps, I did kinda leave battery placement up to the builder as it needs to move for CG depending on power system and Lipo size.

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:00 AM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Nice video Ken, Thanks for sharing. I am going to be building another one of these next week for some combat, Hoping to have a couple out at the airport soon so we can bash em up

Jon
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:20 AM
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
On the battery, since it is probably your heaviest component you need to make sure it stays put. If it slides even an inch that will throw your CG off and make flying difficult. I had a hard landing the other day and it slide way forward. I didn't check it and the very next flight, its noseheaviness took it right back into the ground, this time of course breaking a prop, uff!! I probably need to use a prop saver until my landing are more consistant.

I'm rethinking how mine is fastened and blocked in. I think I'll be keeping it flat in the belly as far forward as I can go. I've closed in this area a but making it look more like a ski tip but I have a "mouth" opened up for cooling air flow. Mine's a bit tail heavier than I like so I need to make some tweaks there. Still an easy plane to make, modify, and fly. I'm already thinking of making a larger version, maybe a MacroBat?

Head,
I looked at your build and I like your mods. Elev. servo on the fus, topside batt access, and prop saver all seem like ideas I want to incorporate into mine. I made my fus taller to allow for prop clearance. Hopefully I'll get it to where I like and then paint it. Nice job.
Jim
Last edited by JimR120; Jul 27, 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: to comment on another build
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:52 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Jon -

Have you made any progress with your FunBat/Funder & Lightning hybrid?
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:24 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
I test flew it once, it needed some stiffening, the motor was a tad large and torqued the tail in flight. I also need to swap props as the slow fly prop was too weak for the high RPM's. got one more final tomorrow then 3 weeks til school starts again. I am hoping to get it all ready for another try next week and then get the cameras all mounted and try it FPV.

Jon
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:04 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,283 Posts
Jim
you could also install the elevator inside the fuse as my FB has done
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
Head,
That's a slick idea. I like that. I prefer protecting the workings like that. Which brings up the possibility of doing the same with the ailerons. I see a way to do it, though it'll shift my cg aft a bit. I'm already a little tail heavier than I care. But it'll also open up options for compartment access from above. Thanks for the idea.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
48 Posts
Finally got some substantive flying today. Funbat2 with its mods has a little more fuselage to help the prop clear on landings. I finally got a prop saver after, oh about 5 or 6 busted props... talk about stubborn. But even a prop saver needs attn. So now I can add a lost prop to me list of casualties. I did have 2 bands. I did notice one broke. I put off replacing it (mistake). I wondered about the extra buzz (hello?!). Then, POP, and a very quiet plummet iaw gravity.

It has a bit more character but all that is for nought if I'm not paying attn to the basics.

I'll hot glue the new cracks in this one and have more fun as I think about Funbat3 (MacroBat) which I want to be bigger, conceal the servos within the fuselage, and make a top side access hatch. If I ever get this ironed out maybe I can get around to some graphics.

Shown are Funbat1 and Funbat2. FB1 was more stable and agile but also quite fragile. FB2 is much stronger and has some character but the flight performance kinda stinks. It doesn't roll or loop nearly as nice as FB1. I want to fly it a bunch before the next build so I can avoid repeat mistakes.