HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:21 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,427 Posts
Discussion
Dissappointed with the Vela

Update: Last week my New Vela 1M arrived at the house. I was excited to open the shipping box to inspect my newest boat. I was impressed with the quality of the packaging, and was wondering how I'd every get the boat out of the foam that it was more or less encased in. I managed to cut one of the foam lock downs they had in place to keep the boat in place, lifted the hull out carefully, which at first glance appeared to be all I'd hope for. Such was not the case.

At some point along the way, someone at the factory had attempted to make a repair to some blemish in the deck, and completely messed up the paint on the deck. I was a completely different finish, flat, and even had the guys finger prints in it.

This alone was enough to reject the boat. Upon further inspection, I notice a huge puddle of glue in the bottom of the hull where they bonded the mast to the bottom. Who ever put this particular hull together, had no skills what's so ever. I knew I wouldn't like the way the builders set up the sail management lines/sheets and that I'd have to upgrade, and this was further confirmed upon inspection. It was clear this boat was not up to my expectations and the workmanship on this particular boat was not acceptable.

Tower Hobbies was very understanding and set me a return authorization to return the boat for a refund.

My feeling about this boat is that is a good looking boat, but with some issues. I am glad I got to see it up close, and hope those fellows that have them, enjoy them. I am admittedly spoiled by the quality and finish of my Yamaha RTW. I will continue to search for new sailboats in the hope of finding another one to buy that is on a par with the Yamaha.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts