HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Feb 2011
88 Posts
Discussion
I would like your opinions on these two helicopters.

I am just getting into RC helicopters. I have some experience with 4 channel toy helicopters that my wife got me for Christmas. She said that they would be good starters. I have her to blame this time for an addicting hobby. I have narrowed it down to these two helicopters; Novus FP and the CB100. I would like your opinions on these choices. Also I did some research and both of these are almost identically built, well with a few obvious differences. I was thinking from the same manufacture but with different names. I hope I did not offend anyone with that last sentence. Anyway, I have other hobbies and I understand a few things about the value of good quality, and only going by looks. It seems to me that the CB100 is better built. Again only going by looks because there is not a hobby shop nearby except for one that told me, when I asked if they sold Walkera’s, his response was “We don’t sell that brand because it is crap.” Yes that is the way he said it. By that response I will look elsewhere. I love extra parts. I have and still toy with an HO race set with bazillions of motors, tires, contacts and other parts, ok a bazillion parts maybe exaggerating a bit. So what extra parts should I order and what can expect to replace regularly; motors, blades, servos, ect. ? Thanks for any help.
Flux Cobalt is offline Find More Posts by Flux Cobalt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:14 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
The Novus FP is a good heli, but very difficult to learn on. It is ornery and very quick. The CB100 is much better for a beginner heli.
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:35 AM
United States, OR, Independence
Joined Feb 2008
1,288 Posts
My LHS told me the same thing plus lack of support from W. Don't bury your head in the sand and overlook other possible brands. I know both Walkera and Eflite Blades have a substantial following, so some people do like the Walkeras. Personally, after my less than desirable foray into Walkeras, I will stick with other brands. I have had the mSR and 4#3, and the mSR was considerably less trouble and expense. I suggest you look at the Blade 120SR. A little bigger, but will save you a step on the way to bigger helis. Keep an open mind.

jim
Bing44 is offline Find More Posts by Bing44
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:38 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I have a CB100 and it is my first heli after playing around with the 3 channel toys.

I love it and it has served me well. It has a lot of performance, you will not bore of it quickly, one of the reasons I bought it. It is a very fast helicopter, best learnt in a generous space. I've taken mine outside on a calm day and it really excelled.

I quite like the component based electrical system (everything being separate as opposed to an all-in-one PCB), the alloy head and dual brushless motors. The stock battery (500mAh) easily provides 7+ minutes of flight time. It (the heli) looks cool too.

It will take you a few weeks to get the hang of. I've had mine for about a month and am still nowhere near mastering it. I like this challenge as it keeps me from getting bored with it.

I would highly recommend getting a training kit (they only cost a few dollars). It will help you when learning taking off and will most likely save you from crashing. You won't need it on there for very long.

One piece of advice I would like to offer you, this is not a self stabilising helicopter, like the coaxial helicopters I assume you're coming from. It will require constant stick input and some patience to learn how to fly it. It will also need some setting up, like adjusting linkages and the swash plate etc. If you want a perfect, out of the box flying experience with little user skill required, look elsewhere. If you are happy to take your time learning how to fly this helicopter, and wish to one day advance to bigger and better things, jump right in. This doesn't just apply to the CB100, I'm speaking generally about the transition from a coaxial to a single rotor design.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:23 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Ah, but the cb100 is a self stabilizing heli. That's what the 45` flybar is all about.

Hi Flux Cobalt,
I have a 2nd generation Aurora HO car set [40+yrs old, it came with a split window Vette and XKE jag]....the ones that came after the "vibrator motors". Now stop it you guys...not that kind of vibrator

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:33 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
True.

I was more comparing the flight characteristics of a coaxial versus single rotor. With a coaxial, if you release the sticks it will, in most cases, gently come to a stop and continue hovering with little to no further input. This usually isn't the case with a single rotor, you will often have to counteract movement and provide more input to return to a stable hover.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:22 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
True.

I was more comparing the flight characteristics of a coaxial versus single rotor. With a coaxial, if you release the sticks it will, in most cases, gently come to a stop and continue hovering with little to no further input. This usually isn't the case with a single rotor, you will often have to counteract movement and provide more input to return to a stable hover.
Your CB100 should do that, its all about the 45* flybar (coaxes have one on the top rotor). IF yours doesn't there is something odd going on, like TBE.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:24 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I'm probably not explaining myself well enough.

I believe my CB100 is fine. I would never expect it to have the same flight characteristics as a coaxial.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 05:17 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
I'm probably not explaining myself well enough.

I believe my CB100 is fine. I would never expect it to have the same flight characteristics as a coaxial.
True, it is faster and can bank turns properly, but it is more similar to a coax than anything else as left to itself it will return to a hover (as long as you have enough space, they are faster than coaxes so will take longer).
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:46 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
I flew both of them. Ultimately, Novus FP is where you want to be regardless whether you get the CB100 or not. "Real" hobby helicopters fly like the Novus FP rather than the CB100.
CB100 is easy to fly. Great for learning head in orientation. Get bored after a week for me at least. Down side to CB100 is if you practice on it for too long, you will develop some nasty habit that will be hard to break when you go to Novus FP. Is going to make flying the FP hell since those nasty habits are now hard wired to your brain. And is already difficult to fly. Then again, my co-worker said he never learned the FP going straight from a co-ax. Probably because his flying space is only a couple of feet in an apartment kitchen.
Be prepare to pick up the FP and place back in center of room one hundred times over 2 weeks every night. Is still fun. You get great satisfaction when you can stay in one place for 3 seconds instead of 2 etc.
After 2 months, my helicopter is set to max rate. Is like trying to control a house fly, but great at maneuvering around the race track.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
The Novus FP looks like a Walkera 4#3b which is notoriously difficult to fly. Although it may behave like an outdoor CP heli, it is probably much harder to fly than any of them. Therefore, I would regard it as an endpoint rather than a stepping stone towards larger CP helis. If you want something that resembes a larger CP heli, I would recommend the 4#6s or V120D01 instead. I have found the 4#6s to be highly reliable.

If you want to stick with 100 sized Walkera helis, you can look at the V100D01. It is new and is unlikely to be phased out anytime soon unlike the 4#3b and CB100
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw