Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:34 AM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jul 2003
338 Posts
Discussion
72MHZ-2.4 Conversion?

Hello all.....I was curious on somthing...maybe you all could give me a suggestion. I have a Futaba 9CAP and was thinking about just buying the 2.4 module for it. Anybody here done that? Is it worth it or should I just spring for a new transmitter like the Futaba 7C or Futaba 8FGA?(got my mind set on these 2 if I get a new transmitter) I have a spectrum DX6I that I use for my park-flyers, but wanted somthing with more options for my larger planes.
lotech is offline Find More Posts by lotech
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:14 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,506 Posts
Futaba has a conversion kit that works perfectly.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXDP9&P=7

The 8FG is a more advanced transmitter. It all depends on what you fly and if you need the advanced features.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:27 PM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Futaba has a conversion kit that works perfectly.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXDP9&P=7
Wow that is expensive. $300?! As is attested on this forum there are other solutions as well that work just as well, if not better, for a fraction of that price.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Jul 2003
338 Posts
yeah, I was looking at the price.....I like my 9CAP but for $$ of the conversion module, I could buy a brand new 7C. The only thing I dont like is the small battery that it comes with.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:20 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech View Post
yeah, I was looking at the price.....I like my 9CAP but for $$ of the conversion module, I could buy a brand new 7C. The only thing I dont like is the small battery that it comes with.
I had to make the same decision a couple of years ago. I decided just to keep my 9C on 72. I have quite a few receivers in airplanes and they are all working very well. What I did was to first buy a 7C-2.4 to get started in 2.4. About a year later I got an 8FGH for my high end airplanes and helicopters. I fly the 7C-2.4 and 8FGH most of the time but the 9C still gets itís flight time as well.

There are lots of solutions. What you need to is figure out what features you need not and in the future then make a decision. If you are not in a hurry there will probably be a new line of Futaba radios with telemetry by this time next year.

Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Buy Chinese made FrSky module and receiver at fraction of Futaba price.
FrSky is a wide band hopping system and very reliable.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:59 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
Buy Chinese made FrSky module and receiver at fraction of Futaba price.
FrSky is a wide band hopping system and very reliable.
this.. No real need to convert to Futaba 2.4ghz module, you are only going to get 8 channels just like FrSky.

I personally use my 10Cap which is similar module wise to the 9Cap in either 72mhz module or with the Spektrum 2.4ghz DSM2 module.

The 7C is going to be a major letdown if you are used to a 9CAP.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:38 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,506 Posts
DSM2 – LOL

Spektrum and JR have finally seen the light and are dumping that technology. I’ve been there and crashed a lot. If you want quality go with Futaba.

Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:56 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech View Post
Hello all.....I was curious on somthing...maybe you all could give me a suggestion. I have a Futaba 9CAP and was thinking about just buying the 2.4 module for it. Anybody here done that? Is it worth it or should I just spring for a new transmitter like the Futaba 7C or Futaba 8FGA?(got my mind set on these 2 if I get a new transmitter) I have a spectrum DX6I that I use for my park-flyers, but wanted somthing with more options for my larger planes.
I had two matching 9Cs. One on 72 and one with a Spekturm module. No problems.

I have since replaced both with 9C Supers, one of which has that same Spektrum module. No problems after 2 years (or is it 3 years?)

Just note that the Spekturm receivers use a different channel sequence. You don't change anything in the 9C, you just plug stuff into different slots in the Spektrum or JR 2.4 GHz receivers.

For example throttle is ch 3 on Futaba and I think it is Ch 1 on Spektrum. Just plug the servos into the right slots on the spektrum receivers and go forward. You program the 9C just as you always did.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 07, 2011, 05:10 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
There are many options available to upgrade a 9C to 2.4GHz including Futaba, Spektrum, FrSky, FlySky, FlyDream, Assan and more. They all work very well. Some provide a more robust link in very high noise environments.

You might find this useful: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/2.4ghzshootout.shtml

If you choose FrSky it will cost about $45 for the Tx module and one Rx and about $22 for each additional Rx. That makes it a lot cheaper than buying a new Futaba Tx as well as a lot cheaper to convert your fleet than it would with Futaba Rx.

If you choose to go with Futaba there are now FASST compatible Rx available for around $40 each.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Feb 07, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Jul 2003
338 Posts
Thank you all very much for the inputs....im leaning to keeping the 9c on 72MHZ and getting a 8FG.