Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:37 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
930 Posts
Discussion
First Robot

As a fun distraction before boat race season gets into full swing I am going to (attempt) to build my first autonomous robot.

The first goal is just simple object avoidance, maybe some line following or object tracking.

The micro controller will be an Arduino board, a 1amp motor shield, a Sharp IR sensor, 42mm tires, 30:1 micro metal gear motors, and 7.4v LiPo power.

I did an initial design in CAD so I am pretty sure it will all fit, so now it is time to built the bot and see what happens. I have the chassis complete (1/8" plywood which was the easy part). The motors and tires arrived today, so they are installed. Now I just have to wait for the processor board and motor shield to really get serious.

Jim Stephens
Puget Sound Fast Electric Model Boat Club ... and moonlight robot builder
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:38 PM
mostly newbie
United States, CO, Centennial
Joined May 2011
263 Posts
Looks good to me! Did you end up building it?
shimniok is offline Find More Posts by shimniok
Old Nov 04, 2011, 04:39 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
930 Posts
For what it is worth - and even though much time has passed - I did built the robot, and pretty much exactly like the CAD version other than the IR sensor was replaced with an ultrasonic sensor since that arrived first. Attached below is a little video of the test run.

RobotTest.wmv (1 min 48 sec)

When it is confronted with an obstruction it selects a random new direction. It also trys to turn away from objects on the edge of the scan.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:30 PM
mostly newbie
United States, CO, Centennial
Joined May 2011
263 Posts
Nicely done!
shimniok is offline Find More Posts by shimniok
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
180 Posts
what robot board did you use?