SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2011, 07:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2010
83 Posts
Discussion
Help us find RiSCyD's plane

Today I went flying with Trappy and due to some turbulence lost contact with my Zephyr while diving down the North face of the Eiger. Trappy did 2 SAR flights, on the last one he had to do a walk of shame himself because he flew until the battery was flat. We've looked at the footage for the past few hours but could not find the plane. It has to be there somewhere and we hope by posting the search flight footage online some of you can help us find it.

Anyone that posts information that helps us find the Zephyr will receive a little present from Team BlackSheep. As a further reward to the community, we will of course post the last minutes of my Zephyr in HD glory (if we can recover both the GoPro and the SD card with the footage on). And who knows, maybe it will fly again? Zephyrs are rumored to have 7 lives, I don't think mine has used them all up yet.

Here's the video, you can download it on Vimeo to get the 60fps version.
http://vimeo.com/19611780

(I'm off to bed. the video should be up in 2-3 hours. thanks in advance to anyone that is taking his time to help us!)
RiSCyD is offline Find More Posts by RiSCyD
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2011, 07:42 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,869 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. Keep looking, I took 4 full days of flying and searching to find my crashed FPV plane once. After much work, and searching with HD video from another FPV plane, searching from full scale plane, riding around on a bulldozer, and reviewing the HD video at home, we eventually got a 1/2 second glimpse of it after flying search patterns for days. Fly the search, record in HD, and look over every inch aof the HD recordings when you get home in the evening. You now have a new mission... Be persistant and you may very well find it

Mike

I just saw the video, did you not record the flight video ? With a flight video recording, you would know within a very small area where it is, your search area is huge At least your area is open, so you have a chance if you fly more search patterns before it snows. It is easier to walk around the base of Eiger than it was for me penetrate 4 meter high sawgrass, so thick that your feet never touch the ground, full of snakes, that can not be penetrated. I think you have a good chance of getting your plane back if you put the days and effort into the search.
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Feb 06, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 07:42 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSCyD View Post
It's currently flagged as a private video. Dunno if that's just because it's still uploading
or not, but worth checking the settings, if you want folks to take a look at it while
you're sleeping.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:04 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
Ah, if you had RTH! - sorry had to. Good luck finding the wing.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Feb 06, 2011, 12:10 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
I will look.

I am very envious of that beautiful landscape, btw.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Feb 06, 2011, 03:00 AM
United States, NV, Rachel
Joined Dec 2008
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSCyD View Post
Today I went flying with Trappy and due to some turbulence lost contact with my Zephyr while diving down the North face of the Eiger. Trappy did 2 SAR flights, on the last one he had to do a walk of shame himself because he flew until the battery was flat. We've looked at the footage for the past few hours but could not find the plane. It has to be there somewhere and we hope by posting the search flight footage online some of you can help us find it.

Anyone that posts information that helps us find the Zephyr will receive a little present from Team BlackSheep. As a further reward to the community, we will of course post the last minutes of my Zephyr in HD glory (if we can recover both the GoPro and the SD card with the footage on). And who knows, maybe it will fly again? Zephyrs are rumored to have 7 lives, I don't think mine has used them all up yet.

(I'm off to bed. the video should be up in 2-3 hours. thanks in advance to anyone that is taking his time to help us!)
where you recording? if so, can you post the last three minutes of your flight?
I think this will serve not only to find your airplane, but a very useful SAR exercise not only to find an airplane, but anything, or anyone lost out there.
alexedit is offline Find More Posts by alexedit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2011, 03:16 AM
California
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
Can you provide any clues, like what the last thing was you saw? Did you have control to where you could throttle down, or is it possible it flew far from the base? I imagine the snow to be soft to where it may be submerged if it went in fast at a sharp angle, or maybe slid down like a sled far from where you expect to see it.
mike20sm is offline Find More Posts by mike20sm
Old Feb 06, 2011, 03:27 AM
United States, NV, Rachel
Joined Dec 2008
1,193 Posts
Yes more detail. Did the plane have stabilization? (Like an fma copilot) how big, color...
alexedit is offline Find More Posts by alexedit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:17 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Oct 2010
186 Posts
Maybe you could try aiming the gopro at an angle more perpendicular to the mountain to make it easier to spot the zephyrs silhouette. If possible, it could also be helpful to try a second recon-flight when the sun reaches the parts that were shaded in this video. Good Luck!
arch001 is offline Find More Posts by arch001
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:24 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
did not see anything on that video. If the zephyr downed somewhere in fresh powder snow it will most likey completely covered with snow. you concentrated your search in the area of the mountains shadow where it was realtively dark. if possible you could do that flight again when there is sun (if there is ever sun). Also recording in 1080p might help.
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:25 AM
California
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexedit View Post
Yes more detail. Did the plane have stabilization? (Like an fma copilot) how big, color...
mike20sm is offline Find More Posts by mike20sm
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:40 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
What a shame!!!

I had a look to the video, but it is quite difficult to keep the concentration. I have found 2-3 spots that could be the Zephyr, just to find there were rocks.

Any other details? Are you sure it is in the bottom and not yet on the wall?

I agree about flying at a different time. Different Sun angles make things look really different.

Recording with Trappy's Gopro pointed downward should also help.
sircana is offline Find More Posts by sircana
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:04 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,376 Posts
I lost my quadcopter for a couple of days during an initial video test. It drifted over a tree line and out of sight. By the time I was able to frantically switch to piloting via video I lost the video feed, as it was only a test 200mW VTx with a poor antenna. The way I found it was by watching the last couple of frames of recorded video to establish a last known position and then estimating where it may have landed based on wind direction/speed. That got me in the general area, but the real key to finding it was by spotting the sun glinting off of it's shiny motors as I was searching for it. Your Zephyr looks like it has metallic ailerons so if you can narrow the area to search and fly while the sun is overhead, there's a bit more of a chance you might catch a brief glint of sunlight reflected off them.
patricklupo is online now Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:46 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
I was about convinced that 12:50 was the resting place - but it's a rock.

Don't you guys have a recording to review?
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:50 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
North Face of the Eiger!!! Good luck getting that back, hope you're a good climber.

I had a look, but it's hard to concentrate for that long. I propose splitting the video into smaller clips of maybe 1 minute and then allocating people to look at them in detail. I also couldn't download it from Vimeo as it said it was private and that I didn't have permission to watch it.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove