Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2001, 04:50 AM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
FMS/Hitec Interface

I can't seem to find a Hitec schematic online for the FMS parallel interface cable- will the Futaba design with with my Hitec Flash 5?

Another dumb Q, but I have it all set up for elevon mixing for my FMA Razor; am I going to have a problem with that once I do get it working, or will I need to create another program for the sim zagi?
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2001, 05:21 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Oct 1999
49 Posts
Steve

The Futaba diagram applies to Hitec exactly. I found with my Flash 5x that it does not work (as recommended on the fms site)if you pull out the crystal to disable the HF part of the radio to save on battery consumption and having to extend the aerial. The simulation only works with the crystal in place. Of course you have to then extend the aerial to stop the transmitter circuitry from overheating and possible damage.

Thinking of myself as an accomplished pilot(RC)this is the first sim I have tried and must say I am impressed. I expected less.

If you get yours working It would be interesting to hear your comments.

I haven't yet managed true knife edge flight on the sim but am still trying. I wonder if it is theoretically possible on this sim.

Rudolph
Rudolph is offline Find More Posts by Rudolph
Old Oct 12, 2001, 05:37 AM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
it's possible (kinda)

you CAN do knife edge in FMS, but would actually be classified as a 3D maneuver. You see, whatever lift you get in FMS comes from the wings. So, when you roll over into knife-edge, you are getting no lift. If you have a powerful plane with a powerful rudder, then you can do it, because you can support the plane with the power from the engine/motor. most of the fun-fly type planes, or the pattern planes can do this (Fun10/11, Majestic, Seduction FS, ect.)
PunkerTFC is offline Find More Posts by PunkerTFC
Old Oct 12, 2001, 06:37 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Oct 1999
49 Posts
If effect what you are saying there is no contribution from the fuselarge. Does any of the other sim's take this into account. I don't think it should be so difficult to introduce although it will increase the complexity of the maths somewhat.

Rudolph
Rudolph is offline Find More Posts by Rudolph
Old Oct 14, 2001, 07:10 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Try this site for a translation of the FMS PAR. files, http://home.introweb.nl/~erics/fms/par.htm If you increase the fuselage drag and the rudder area it might work.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Oct 16, 2001, 09:15 PM
TN
Joined Feb 2001
163 Posts
I ordered a cable for my Flash 4 from Wayne Tarr. His site is on one of the links on the FMS site. Mine cost $39. and arrived from New Zealand in about 3 weeks. Works great.

My son has literally learned to fly using FMS and does pretty good in the real world with our Pico Stick.
Frank is offline Find More Posts by Frank
Old Oct 17, 2001, 05:04 AM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
I did the serial cable by myself for less than 5 Dollars.

The circuit is 1 x 1/2 inches aprox and be placed into the 9 pin connector protection case.

You just need patience and small electronics knowledge to arrange the small circuit into that little space (two transistors and 4 resistance).

Easy, isn't it?

If you need help just tell me and I'll send you a draft of the circuit I made.

hang in!!
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne