HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jim T. Graham, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 02:22 AM
SPG
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Can I go somewhere and just click the file to download it? Like the with the ATTF podcast.
SPG is offline Find More Posts by SPG
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:14 AM
Joined Apr 2010
2 Posts
PodCast is OK.....maybe even great.
Independent forums where people share ideas and knowledge free from commercial interest is fantastic.
But some of those can obviously be bought Ö.. congrats to HobbyKing.
Any independent forums left ?
pallemand is offline Find More Posts by pallemand
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,401 Posts
Here is the direct link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...8&d=1296859082
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:44 AM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallemand View Post
PodCast is OK.....maybe even great.
Independent forums where people share ideas and knowledge free from commercial interest is fantastic.
But some of those can obviously be bought Ö.. congrats to HobbyKing.
Any independent forums left ?
Personally i don't think that RC Groups is too commercial. Sure there are ads, but this is the most active RC forum in the world. I order to run it, they need some sort of funding. This is done through ads.

Hobby king seems to be sponsoring a lot of things now... Flitetest is an example. I really enjoy flitetest and watch all of there videos, but it seems ever since they got sponsored by hobbyking, all they "review" is hobbyking products. I'm not picking on flitetest here, I think it is one of the most professional and interesting RC channels on youtube, i just hope that their sponsorship with hobbyking doesn't limit their diversity of reviews.

But for RC Groups, to be honest, i don't really see any negative effects of advertising. They keep them out of the way, unlike some forums, where half the time you are scrolling through ads in the middle of threads. It just allows them to continue to make this forum better.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
Joined Apr 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Personally i don't think that RC Groups is too commercial. Sure there are ads, but this is the most active RC forum in the world. I order to run it, they need some sort of funding. This is done through ads.

Hobby king seems to be sponsoring a lot of things now... Flitetest is an example. I really enjoy flitetest and watch all of there videos, but it seems ever since they got sponsored by hobbyking, all they "review" is hobbyking products. I'm not picking on flitetest here, I think it is one of the most professional and interesting RC channels on youtube, i just hope that their sponsorship with hobbyking doesn't limit their diversity of reviews.

But for RC Groups, to be honest, i don't really see any negative effects of advertising. They keep them out of the way, unlike some forums, where half the time you are scrolling through ads in the middle of threads. It just allows them to continue to make this forum better.
I donít mind the ads that much, because there is a reasonable clear line between the editorial side and the commercial side ... but with sponsorship this clear line is gone !! Flitetest is good, yes, but is it independent and objective reviews ? If company xxx has a better product than hobbyking will there be a review of that product on Flitetest? no-way..... will it stop filtetest (actually hobbyking) to have their product reviewed as 'great' - no-way.
pallemand is offline Find More Posts by pallemand
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:18 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Horribly Disappointed!!

I was rather excited to hear about your podcast when I ran across this thread a few minutes ago. I downloaded the program and was listening to it and I was starting to enjoy it until I heard that Hobby King was going to be the sponsor of the show. I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I was when I heard that!

I know that a lot of people buy stuff from Hobby King, but their "Walmart" mentality is ruining the retail hobby business in this country, and is directly responsible for many US based companies going out of business.

If I see one more Hobby King banner advertisement on this site, I will probably refrain from using the site all together. I am very sure that a large number of people share my sentiments here, and hopefully, the owners of the site will come to their senses and find a different sponsor for the show.
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,261 Posts
I love Hobby King! If it wasn't for Hobby King, I wouldn't be able to run my own home-based business. Because their prices are so low, my prices can be low too. Also, all of the hobby shops around me are doing better than ever in their sales. I think it is incorrect to say That Hobby King is ruining US based hobby companies.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:38 PM
Canada
Joined May 2009
1,252 Posts
Hobby king is "ruining" the US base LHS because the LHS buy from horizon hobby where prices are much higher. In theory it is probably better to buy from LHS/horizon because of service and everything, but many people are going the cheap route with Hobby king.

I will admit, when you see the exact same lipo charger on horizon hobby for $90 more, you realize how much horizon hobby potentially marks up their prices.

I try to support my local hobby shop when ever i can, and usally i buy my more expensive purchases from the LHS. I tend to buy batteries and accessories from hobbyking, just because they are sooooo much cheaper.
Energy is offline Find More Posts by Energy
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:56 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
Quite a few hobby shops in OZ are now stocking HC products.
whereas the wholesalers have developed their own online retail shops much to the anger of their hobby shop customers.
Its sink or swim free enterprise.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined Jun 2008
22 Posts
cool! I'm looking forward to listening。
yang1346888 is offline Find More Posts by yang1346888
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:26 AM
Noord Holland, The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2005
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBMiller5 View Post

I know that a lot of people buy stuff from Hobby King, but their "Walmart" mentality is ruining the retail hobby business in this country, and is directly responsible for many US based companies going out of business.

A guy who is the importer / distributor of Chinese manufactured electronics is suddenly fighting the cause of US based companies???

Am I the only person who thinks this is a bit backward?
keeprighton is offline Find More Posts by keeprighton
Last edited by keeprighton; Feb 22, 2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:34 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,104 Posts
Try to buy something not made in China. Its not easy to do.
Now try to compete with all the other companies that build their stuff in China with your US made stuff. Also not easy to do.
If you want to produce American made products you will have to cater to more affluent customers. Low volume, high quality and high prices.
Anyway, if you really want to support US made stuff, check out this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976993
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:46 AM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Dec 2010
127 Posts
I really think Hobby King doesn't have much to do with the lhs going out of business. I for one have a very limited amount of $ to spend on the hobby and if it wasn't for HK and some of the other chinese sites I probably would not even be in the hobby today. I personally think TP is trying to mark their product up too much. The reason I say this is I am in the furniture business. Did you know that most furniture stores mark their furniture up 100-120%? My best dealer marks his it up 120% and still sells more than the rest. He is making more on the furniture than I am!

On the flip side, if the lhs is trying to compete with hk with the same type of products but with prices a lot higher, yes, they will go out of business. But there are so many parts of the hobby that we should be able to buy from our lhs and everyone needs it but no one has it. There are many times I go into a hs looking for some part of a gs 3d plane. Nothing! If it's bigger than a .60 size your sol! Why? They then force me to go online and get what I need. They need to stock more parts and accessories from other companies than just HH. I have never seen a scorpion motor or esc at any hs? Why not? I would love to try one and if I could get one local I would probably do that. As it is I have to go online, figure out which one I need, then pay shipping on it and wait till it comes. If I go through all that work I intend to get the most for my money and since I am not needing the absolute best and can usually take a weight penalty over a $ penalty I usually buy a cheaper motor.

Long story short, I don't compete with the cheap log furniture that is imported from china. If I did my finances would be comparable to the US's. I do specialty products that are too heavy to ship affordably and use heavy cedar logs that china cannot compete with. In any business you need to be versatile and competition is good. If you are stuck on sticking with the same product even if your competition is whippin your butt, you have serious problems. The hobby industry needs to do the same. We need you just as much as we ever did but your stock needs to change. Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of us want stuff that is not distributed by the big two. That means we MUST buy online. And if you don't stock it don't even offer to order it. I can do that as easy as you and probably find a better price! If a product is on the wall for over a year, it is costing you money. Pitch it! Replace it with power hd servos! Something that will sell! Most hobby shops have rows and rows of products that simply don't move anymore. And 99% of hs workers and owners know absolutely nothing about products that are not sold by HH or GP. They are ignorant. And many times I have to educate them on the products they have. They should know more about the hobby than anyone else and yet most of them know less than the customers. Isn't that backwards?

Ok, I'll shut up now. I do want to say that there are a few, a very few, shops that are great and most of those are doing great because americans still pay for service and convenience. If you have a shop and you actually fly yourself, are on rcg and fg daily, and keep up with the news and demands, my hat is off to you! I wish you had a shop in the St Louis area!

Micah
The_Tinker is offline Find More Posts by The_Tinker
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:49 PM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2008
63 Posts
I'm sure it's a great show to listen too if I can ever figure out how to listen to it.
frankolin42 is offline Find More Posts by frankolin42
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:57 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankolin42 View Post
I'm sure it's a great show to listen too if I can ever figure out how to listen to it.
Just click on the link below

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...8&d=1296859082

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr