HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:42 PM
ARMY ATC (93C)
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jan 2005
1,114 Posts
I'm new to Helis, but I don't seem to have enough room with a pack 9mm longer than stock. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9318

It's 113mm while stock is 104mm. I have to cram everything very tightly to get canopy on and wires are dangerously close to the motor. If I flip wires to bottom, I can't get canopy on. And the CG seems to be slightly aft to get canopy on. I'm thinking 104mm or shorter will allow for batter to move further forward to make CG better. Again, newbie so I'm no expert on helis. I'm more advanced on the planes. I have flown the nano though ok for basic flying (no 3D).

Quote:
Originally Posted by STZ2004 View Post
Don't worry! The battery that you've chosen will work just fine! Buying e-flight's batteries at their price is really a madness and suicide.

However, I've got BNF Basic and using these batteies:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934

I have 3 of them, but could have almost four for the price of one from e-flite! They work fine and cheap enough to have more flying time (for the same money). And fit under the canopy quite tight and nice. After LVC cutoff they normally eat 2300-2350 mAh from charger!
mjbennett9 is offline Find More Posts by mjbennett9
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Blade canopies are notoriously tight. Unfortunately if you're unable to get the canopy on the only options are to get an alternative canopy (Fusuno canopies are excellent, and Blade canopies tend to crack very easily) or to fly without one.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:52 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
try this....
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
Blade canopies are notoriously tight. Unfortunately if you're unable to get the canopy on the only options are to get an alternative canopy (Fusuno canopies are excellent, and Blade canopies tend to crack very easily) or to fly without one.
try the blade EX canopies.....a bit larger than stock
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:22 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,140 Posts
Got my 450 yesterday. After having my "heli-expert" friend help set it up, we took it out front for a quick hover test to check the trims.

Only problem we had is that the tail seems to "wobble" side to side (yaw), at lower power settings or in a hover. Once you advance the power to come out of the hover, even just a little, the wobble goes away. He did some trimming with the gyro but it still needs a bit more tweeking.

Anybody else ever experience this sort or thing? And what did you do to fix it?
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:22 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Got my 450 yesterday. After having my "heli-expert" friend help set it up, we took it out front for a quick hover test to check the trims.

Only problem we had is that the tail seems to "wobble" side to side (yaw), at lower power settings or in a hover. Once you advance the power to come out of the hover, even just a little, the wobble goes away. He did some trimming with the gyro but it still needs a bit more tweeking.

Play with the gyro gain and make sure everything is tightened down as should be. Also make sure your throttle settngs aren't to low and bogging the bird.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:19 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,565 Posts
Have you checked the belt tension? Mine did something similar when I had the belt too tight.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Sounds like your throttle and/or gain are too low. If you've gone from the stock settings on your transmitter (those suggested by the manual), it's more likely a gain issue. Increase your gain a few percent and see if the problem decreases.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:55 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
David: was that 450 from amain's $180 special ?? ...Wow i still cant get over that price. ( im tempted )
It was from hobby zones $169 shipped price part of horizon hobby discontinued price.
ITS ME DAVID is offline Find More Posts by ITS ME DAVID
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:

1. gyro gain
2. TT setting.....set it to a higher value just before mid stick to give a bit of HS
3. Belt tension
...and
4. Main blade grips tightness
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:39 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,140 Posts
Gyro gains was the issue. All good now!

I finally got to run the sticks this time. Put 4 batts through it and LOVE this thing!! Granted I'm a TOTAL newbie. All I did today, with my "instructor" standing by, was hover 1 foot above point "A", then move left to point "B", then back to "A" with the nose pointed away the whole time. I know it's just simple baby steps, but coming from a CX2, then a Scout (for indoor fun), and an mSR (which I LOVE!), this thing was a fairly big leap but all the sim time came in handy. So it only took the first 2 batts to really get a feel for it and start being able to get comfortable.

For the next long while that's all I'll be doing. Just hover and do minor point A to B stuff, then the box pattern, and so on. Really excited to get into this one! Got a really bad feeling I'm going to go broke flying these darn helis! LOL

So far I only dinged up the tail blades a bit, but since the weather's going to suck donkey turds for the next 5 days, I've got time to replace them and go through all the nuts & bolts to check for anything coming loose.

Lots to learn, and looking forward to it!!
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:48 AM
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
What sim are you using.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:

I finally got to run the sticks this time. Put 4 batts through it and LOVE this thing!! Granted I'm a TOTAL newbie. All I did today, with my "instructor" standing by, was hover 1 foot above point "A", then move left to point "B", then back to "A" with the nose pointed away the whole time. I know it's just simple baby steps, but coming from a CX2, then a Scout (for indoor fun), and an mSR (which I LOVE!), this thing was a fairly big leap but all the sim time came in handy. So it only took the first 2 batts to really get a feel for it and start being able to get comfortable.

For the next long while that's all I'll be doing. Just hover and do minor point A to B stuff, then the box pattern, and so on. Really excited to get into this one! Got a really bad feeling I'm going to go broke flying these darn helis! LOL

So far I only dinged up the tail blades a bit, but since the weather's going to suck donkey turds for the next 5 days, I've got time to replace them and go through all the nuts & bolts to check for anything coming loose.

nice set of learning to fly videos....or myb you've already seen them.....gd luck mate
Day 3 - Ground Exercises (11 min 55 sec)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Apr 2011
595 Posts
helifreak has alot of info on this heli
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:40 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,430 Posts
Quote:

That's awesome!! Glad to see you loving the heli. She is a fun bird, but just a touch intimidating. Sounds like you are doing it right.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster