HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:00 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
I preorder.

Hey everyone!

I ordered my B450 basic a month ago. Am so damned excited. Knew it wasn't gonna get here for my B-day ( Things never arrive on time...but anticipation is everything!!!!! Will be my first real Heli. Need a lot more sim time (did someone mention a sim for the B450). I have Pheonix. Really glad I stumbled across this thread. Bought the B450 after months of research on my own. Glad to see all my work has paid off with all the comments backing up my own decision. I have a DX7 and was wondering if their is a recommended setup yet.

Erich
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:43 PM
United States, MN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
I dont think every one gets what HH is going for here. They are making things for Entry level pilots. The plastic is cheaper than CF so when bob smashes his new blade 450 3d into the dirt he only pays 40 bucks instead of 100 if you smash the crap out of your CF trex... Side frames are 20 bucks for 1 side and you cant buy just top or just bottom. Plastic is GREAT for pilots just learning cheap and easy. Also the head looks alot like a simpler G5 head to me. Looks like it would be a good heli for any one looking to start out in the heli hobbie, because as most of us heli guys know the bigger it is the easer it is to fly. Just remember there are no RTF helis, always study up and set the heli up right before trying to fly. If any newbies have any questions as the where to find a good setup turorial please fell free to PM me.
primestick is offline Find More Posts by primestick
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:01 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by primestick View Post
I dont think every one gets what HH is going for here. They are making things for Entry level pilots. The plastic is cheaper than CF so when bob smashes his new blade 450 3d into the dirt he only pays 40 bucks instead of 100 if you smash the crap out of your CF trex... Side frames are 20 bucks for 1 side and you cant buy just top or just bottom. Plastic is GREAT for pilots just learning cheap and easy. Also the head looks alot like a simpler G5 head to me. Looks like it would be a good heli for any one looking to start out in the heli hobbie, because as most of us heli guys know the bigger it is the easer it is to fly. Just remember there are no RTF helis, always study up and set the heli up right before trying to fly. If any newbies have any questions as the where to find a good setup turorial please fell free to PM me.
When I had a 400 probably was on 2007 or 2008. Was doing some hovering it was when I first were learning, i crashed it and it cost me around 70 dollars.
In those time, and then I baught a blade cp in 2009 and crashed that wasn't bad crash but costed me over 80 dollars. A used blade cp sell them for 100
or so. Eflite is expensive in those time and last year was still expensive. Hope the prices on parts for the new 400 is lower then it was back then.
jcervantes11 is online now Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
A crash on this heli unless you really smash her in will cost you around 28.96 - blades (buy pro 3d blades they are cf and like 4 bucks.) Also the parts you buy from the first crash come in dubbles so thats 2 normal crashes that 29 bucks will fix. Rember hit throttle hold before you smash her in really good will save alot of parts.

Ok protek blade price has jumped up a little bust still cheaper than the HH ones and the HH ones are wood which most all wood blades are crap and i recomend throwing out, after you learn to hover.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...s-Rotor-Blades
Last edited by primestick; Apr 20, 2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Blade price
Old May 01, 2011, 04:00 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Nobody flying this yet??
Mcdyvie is offline Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Old May 01, 2011, 12:00 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
Nobody flying this yet??
It's not out until later this month I believe.

Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old May 01, 2011, 01:05 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
It's not out until later this month I believe.

Ed
ah, ok, it is already out here in Germany...I will have to search some German forums then I guess...
Mcdyvie is offline Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Old May 01, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
My LHS in Vancouver, Canada is quoting May 20th.

Eagerly waiting some feedback from others. For people without a transmitter (like me), the RTF seems like a hell of a lot of bang for the buck.

Add in the fact that full parts support is expected at the LHS, so I can walk down the street to get replacements, and it's very tempting as an entry point to CP flying.
coreyinoz is offline Find More Posts by coreyinoz
Old May 02, 2011, 01:51 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by primestick View Post
A crash on this heli unless you really smash her in will cost you around 28.96 - blades (buy pro 3d blades they are cf and like 4 bucks.) Also the parts you buy from the first crash come in dubbles so thats 2 normal crashes that 29 bucks will fix. Rember hit throttle hold before you smash her in really good will save alot of parts.

Ok protek blade price has jumped up a little bust still cheaper than the HH ones and the HH ones are wood which most all wood blades are crap and i recomend throwing out, after you learn to hover.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...s-Rotor-Blades
Yup those blades are very good the fiberglass one that you showed me (very good for 250 doesn't flex). Their the same company. I didn't like the 500 size neither the 50 size 3d blades (flexes)but yea those 3d blades are a big bang for you're bucks and works great on my 250 and 450. I got my ama club vice president into those blades. LOL
jcervantes11 is online now Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old May 09, 2011, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyinoz View Post
My LHS in Vancouver, Canada is quoting May 20th.

Eagerly waiting some feedback from others. For people without a transmitter (like me), the RTF seems like a hell of a lot of bang for the buck.

Add in the fact that full parts support is expected at the LHS, so I can walk down the street to get replacements, and it's very tempting as an entry point to CP flying.
Lucky... My local hobby town usa In columbus GA, zip 31909 dosent carry parts for any thing they sell.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Apr 2010
93 Posts
Know what you mean, prime. The Columbus one is closer to me but I prefer going to the one in Auburn because he keeps a much better stock of spares.
ckankel is online now Find More Posts by ckankel
Old May 14, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Dec 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
If you take some time to go over the 450 as it comes from the box, you can see and learn a lot about how to set the heli up after a crash. The programming in the DX6i is not the most condusive to easy flying, but after taking some time to ask and learn about what the adjustments are used for and why you may want to change them, it will be easier to get the most out of the heli. Now, when you want to build up a T-Rex, you will know what to adjust in the TX in order to get the new heli electronically set up. When you buy your B450, also buy a pitch gauge and a very good set of screwdrivers (including hex drivers). If you find one, also get a swash levelling tool for the Blade and when you buy another heli, get one for it, too. There are cheap methods to get the swash levelled, but the tool is the best and fastest way to do it. Take care.

Don
Thanks for keeping this thread on track. I have spent time going through the entire thread and I am considering this heli as a jump from my SR120.

I have joined a local flight club and many of the heli guys say to go to the 450 size copter. They say skip the SR as is is too unstable.

They say a 450 size copter is a better learning platform.

Do you think the Blade 450 is to much for a beginner (fly the 120 in the back yard in no wind conditions).
rvmustang is offline Find More Posts by rvmustang
Last edited by rvmustang; May 14, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 08:11 AM
Build, Fly, Crash. Repeat.
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
This morning Horizon switched its status from "item coming soon" to "item out of stock."

Does anyone have any more information as to when they'll actually be available?

Do you guys think its OK to order from my usual online hobby shop Red Rocket, or do you think it will come faster if I order directly from Horizon?
nick_onelove is offline Find More Posts by nick_onelove
Old May 23, 2011, 11:12 AM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_onelove View Post
This morning Horizon switched its status from "item coming soon" to "item out of stock."

Does anyone have any more information as to when they'll actually be available?

Do you guys think its OK to order from my usual online hobby shop Red Rocket, or do you think it will come faster if I order directly from Horizon?
I noticed Horizon changed their status yesterday. Amainhobbies.com updated their site to "This product will be in stock on Wednesday, May 25, 2011."

My guess is that Horizon has started shipping to the hobby shops that had orders placed already. Horizons site should remain out of stock until all their previous orders have been filled. Since hobby shops have to order them before the release date to ensure they have them on the release date, Red Rocket should have them before you can order direct.

When I worked for a software retailer, we would frequently get new products a day or two before the release date, but could not sell them until they were officially released.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old May 23, 2011, 12:38 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmustang View Post
Thanks for keeping this thread on track. I have spent time going through the entire thread and I am considering this heli as a jump from my SR120.

I have joined a local flight club and many of the heli guys say to go to the 450 size copter. They say skip the SR as is is too unstable.

They say a 450 size copter is a better learning platform.

Do you think the Blade 450 is to much for a beginner (fly the 120 in the back yard in no wind conditions).
Going from a self stabilizing co-axial, or 45 degree FP heli will be a huge jump reguardless of what you choose. You have to re-learn how to hover, takeoff, fly slow, and fly fast, as a CP heli is inherently unstable, compared to the inherently stable SR120. If you are completely comfortable with the SR120 in mild winds, can fly in any orientation, keeping track of the tail, and adjusting stick movements accordingly, then most of the skill to begin with a CP heli is there, you just have to get a feel for the constant small movements needed to balance it, and keep it in position, how to reverse stick inputs to slow or balance the heli, or to hold slight inputs to maintain speed and attitude.

For me personally, I've had a Blade 400 for a year, and SR since they came out, and self stabilizing co-ax and 45 degree helis(and fixed wing planes) for almost 10 years. I could fly the rotors off of my Blade CX, then CX3, then Walkera CB180, if I got in trouble, I could just let go of the cyclic, add power to pull up in a hover, or cut the throttle to minimize damage if a crash was inevitable. These helis hover, and you just push them around, they help teach orientation, and to control it like you are "in the cockpit", the single rotor/45 degree helis are a bit more nimble, but slower to return to a hover, a nice small step up from coax. When I first spun up the SR, I was expecting the same gentle tendencies, it was marketed as a "beginner" heli afterall. It lasted about 3 seconds before plowing in the dirt breaking a blade grip. Fixed the blade grip, tried again, this time about 10 seconds, managed a modest hover till it got away from me, and every input I did made it head to the ground faster, $70 in damage, I repeated this for the first 10 flights till I was so fed up, I put it in the basement for a couple months. I ended up buying a used DX6i for $150, just happened to come with a Blade400 recently rebuilt by the shop I frequent(complete RTF used heli on consignment). It was a very nice heli, and I didn't want to destroy it, so I put it away till I felt comfortable flying the cheaper, and by now ratty SR.

I started with the Radd school of rotary flight website and Clearview sim, managed to hold a hover, and practiced simple tail in hovers and slow tail in flight daily for a month, got to where I could do so without crashing, then learned to fly higher, keeping to 20-50', and hitting the throttle/reversing inputs to save it from a crash. I managed slow circles, figure 8s, and general slow flight, but was apprehensive about fast flight, and never tried it, being the beginner helis I have are easy to put around slowly, but pull, dive, and generally fly unstable at higher speeds, at this point I was comfortable, and hovering/slow flying the B400. I tried FFF with the SR, and to my surprise it actually flew better, and more stable at higher speeds, I started basically flying out, pitching the nose down and increasing throttle, picking up speed, then pulling back, gently ruddering the tail around, and flying back, I could do gentle turns but nothing spectacular, this lasted for about 6 months. I then bought an MCPX, and it made a world of difference, flies like the larger CP helis, but more stable, and as long as the throttle is cut, and you fly over grass, it will flop down with little or no damage. Took a mere week to match my skill with the SR and B400, then exceed it. After 2 weeks, I was able to translate moves learned in the sim to the MCPX, flips, fast circuits, stall turns, inverted flight, loops and rolls, basically learning more in a couple weeks with it than I had learned in the previous year of CP flight or 10 years of self stabilizing heli flight. The B400 and SR can do what the MCPX does, and then some, they take a little more attention to counter the slight pull to the right at higher speeds(from the blades going into the wind on the left, and away from the wind on the right), and you need to hold a little forward cyclic to counter the flybar trying to slow the heli, but outside of that they now feel good, mostly from the confidence and lessons my fingers learned with the sim and MCPX.

Now that I fly the SR and B400 often, I have a better grasp of what makes them easy or hard to fly. The SR is a decent flier provided you basically throw away the dumbed down stock TX, and use a computer radio, BCP2 blades are wider, and make it more sensitive/better for flips and tricks. You have to be gentle with the pitch as the tail doesn't hold well, and the stock gyro wanders a bit, so you have to pay close attention to the tail. The B400 is a nice heli, tail wanders like the SR, but has more power to correct, I swapped in a decent Futaba gyro, and it makes a world of difference, the tail stays put now. The stock battery is underpowered, switching to a 2200mah 25C gives MUCH faster headspeed, making it both more stable, and more responsive. I changed the standard throttle curves of both helis to 0-40-80-90-100 to increase headspeed, and it makes them easier to fly once you get the basics down. All things being equal, the 450 is easier to see, just as stable but better in the wind than the SR, more powerful, has more tail authority, and can do more once you get good.

The new B450 has a better gyro(haven't flown one so not sure how much better) It has more power and a higher headspeed, and probably flies like my B400 does now, or even better, it also has the good DX6i, so it is a better heli and better value than an SR or B400 with upgraded gyro and decent TX. If I had to do it again(moving up from a 120sr/coax, I would buy the 450 RTF , Simulator, and a MCPX, put the B450 heli away, use the DX6i with the sim and MCPX(RTF DX4 sucks), get comfortable with this easy to fly, durable, and cheap to repair heli, then pull out the B450 in a month or two, and progress with that, with new moves starting in the sim, then doing them on the MCPX, then finally on the B450. This should be the quickest, cheapest(factoring in repair parts), and least frustrating way to learn moves quickly.

didn't mean to type such a long post, but being I just went through this, and a number of times I just about said F-this with the intention to get out of CP helis entirely, I am glad I stuck with it, and hope this can help pilots that are heading down the same path. They are a lot of fun, and very challenging, but have perhaps the most difficult and frustrating learning curve of any RC vehicle I have ever piloted. I am planning on upgrading to the B450 in a couple months now that I can actually make some use out of the more advanced features, and will probably give my B400 to my brother to learn with(presently flying my old MSR and co-ax, about to make the jump to CP), or raffle it off for my RC club.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; May 23, 2011 at 01:52 PM.