SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Ok, I just went into my Dx6i, sub trim T hold ( 0 ), travel adj, down 100%, thro curve 100%, in set up - reverse= throttle N

Check these and see what you have, I hope it helps. If the ESC has been changed, that puts a whole different spin on things.

oops, I need to type faster, didnt see your reply......
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
You might have missed it but I put a link at the bottom of a post above to the place you can find the manual.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Got it, thank you. New problem. I turn on the tx then activate throttle hold, then I plug in the battery and wait for the tones. When I turn off TH the rotors start spinning, slowly, but still. I did a test and did not activate TH before plugging in the battery, (unsafe) but then it did not do this. No rotor movement with the stick all the way down, like it should be. I don't want to be plugging in the battery without having TH on though. Any ideas on this problem?
The problem you describe is the ESC auto calibrating the throttle end points. More than likely, the default throttle hold setting in your transmitter is less than what the transmitter puts out at zero throttle (without throttle hold on). The ESC picks up the greater range and auto calibrates that as the zero throttle position.

You can either program the ESC to have fixed end points and calibrate it manually once, or you can set your throttle hold setting to be -100% or 0% throttle in your transmitter (setting depends on how your transmitter depicts zero throttle).
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Ok, getting it sorted out, thank you. Well, trying at least.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Last edited by stuball56; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,536 Posts
My sub trim for throttle is mid way between neutral (slap bang in the middle) and full neg in normal mode. When the TH switch is ON, sub trim is all the way down, but it is non adjustable. You could put your throttle sub trim all the way down same as the TH setting, but you end up with a lot of dead stick. I would suggest something similar to mine, but it's down to personal preference.

The esc end points isn't the prob IMO, try adjusting sub trim in normal mode and you'll see....

Not sure if the DX7 is the same programming for heli's as the DX6i, but in Idle up modes, sub trim isn't adjustable either, it's all the way down (neg) again. It seems the only setting that allows adjustment of throttle sub trim is normal mode.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Ya, I am looking over the intermediate settings for the DX7 and DX8. I have a DX6i. I am wondering why the different values between the 7 and the 8? Like Throttle hold is recommended to be -5% on the DX7, but at 10% on the DX8. So, not sure what I should be programming into the DX6i? Other settings are different between the two radios too.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,536 Posts
Do you have the manual? Settings for the DX6i are in there, the DX7 and DX8 are there too but there's also an update for those 2 tx's available online.

Have a look here http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...ed_diagram.pdf, DX6i settings are on p9 if you use the PDF page system, but is p38 in the paper manual.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,536 Posts
Having just had a proper look at those DX6i settings, I'd be tempted to put throttle hold at a neg value not a pos like the manual states. 10% might be a misprint and mean -10%. If in doubt, contact HH and ask them.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
10%, that is what is recommended for the Nano Cpx too. My guess is that it is just enough to keep it from falling out of the sky too fast? Nah, maybe not. I'm just guessing. Thank you for the link to the page with the DX6i settings. The manual I have is for RTF and does not have DX6i settings. It has very little in fact.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:30 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Having just had a proper look at those DX6i settings, I'd be tempted to put throttle hold at a neg value not a pos like the manual states. 10% might be a misprint and mean -10%. If in doubt, contact HH and ask them.
I read in a post on Heli Freak that the setting in the manual was correct and was due to a bug in the transmitters firmware.

IMO TH's low number needs to be whatever keeps the motor from turning. If ESC is changed then there is not set value which works for all. I have used -5 for many ESCs but recently had to go to -15 for a new one I installed on a heli. In my case TH worked until heli was spooled up but then turning on TH would not kill the motor and would only work again after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I found the issue by turning on THwhile in Monitor Screen and switching it off and on and adjusting TH value until Throttle position indicator did not change with it Off or On.

Some have used a positive value in TH so that motor is not killed with TH on so that they can practice autos with ESCs which have soft start and a very short window when powered down before they enter soft start mode again.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:45 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
One thing that baffles me is why the manual says to set the swash plate to CCPM in the DX6i and 7, but for the DX8 you are supposed to set it to 120 swash? Seems strange.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:24 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,536 Posts
Probabaly different programming. But I agree that you'd have thought it would be the same.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:42 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I have a couple of questions about setting up and testing my 450 3D. If I have my DX6i setup according to the manual, and then toggle the stunt/normal modes, or turn on and off throttle hold, shouldnt my main blades change pitch quite drasticaly? They hardly seem to move at all, very little, when I flick the switches. What could be wrong?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
250 Posts
Check your throttle hold pitch curve settings. Should be similar to stunt with a full range of pitch both pos and neg. you should not be able to switch between takeoff mode and stunt mode unless you are flying, or if your throttle hold is on. If flying, it's nice not to have too much pitch changing, if throttle hold is on, the pitch should not change when switching modes since the throttle hold pitch curve should be active regardless of flight mode. Btw, be careful testing all this for the obvious reasons of accidental full throttle when switching flight modes without the throttle hold on...

Hope this can help.

Martini
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:19 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you. I will check and recheck everything. Thing is, I used to have a Nano, and on that, when I switched from stunt to normal or back, or TH on and off, the blades had huge movement compared to my 450. I mean, if I do not have TH on, and pitch is in normal mode, which is 45% at low stick, then switch to stunt which would be 0 pitch at the same stick position, why do I not see a movement from 45 to 0?