SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:46 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
That doesn't sound good. How much are these blades? Have you ever tried the Blade brand carbon fiber blades? And finaly, why not use the wooden blades? Too breakable? Alot of questions eh? lol.
They were $36, They are a Horizon Hobby brand, specifically marketed towards the blade helis. I had bad luck with warped wooden blades. Could never get good tracking. With CF it tracks perfectly once you dial it in. I did have the blade set of CF blades, but that black blade is a tough one to see. So I went with the pretty blades.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:47 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
They were $36, They are a Horizon Hobby brand, specifically marketed towards the blade helis. I had bad luck with warped wooden blades. Could never get good tracking. With CF it tracks perfectly once you dial it in. I did have the blade set of CF blades, but that black blade is a tough one to see. So I went with the pretty blades.
And if anyone else can use the word "blade" more in a paragraph, I'll send you a cookie.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
And if anyone else can use the word "blade" more in a paragraph, I'll send you a cookie.
I'd be tempted to take you up on the offer, but believe the cookie would be soggy by the time it got here....

I had probs with the thickness of the blade (or lack of) for the 450. I used some washers I had, but shims are the better option. I now use Align blades and haven't had a prob.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:36 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Ok, tried to bind my DX6i to my 450 3D and it wouldnt work. I have done this with all my other heli's with no problem. When I plug in the battery, the gyro flashes as it would normaly do without the tx turned on. But then after about 4 seconds it turns solid, without turning on the tx or entering bind mode. When I do turn on the tx in bind mode it does nothing. This heli was peviously bound to another transmitter if that matters. Not by me but by the previous owner. Should I be "resetting" it or something?
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
you mean the light on the receiver? just going to throw this out here...is the blind plug plugged in to the RX?
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:45 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Ever heard of Sargeant Shultz? I know nothing, nothing!!! Anyway, I didnt know there was a bind plug needed for this heli/rx. I have bound all my others without one, so I assumed that this relatively new 450 would not either. So, it has a bind plug? Ok, I'll look into that. I can't even see any light on the rx, only on the gyro.
Thank you for this, so I need a bind plug. Any way to rig one up? I do not have one obviously.
Searching Youtube now.
Last edited by stuball56; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:03 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
disconnect at least 1 of your motor leads... just to be safe.
On your RX you well see a batt/bind port...the bind plug goes in there.

With radio turned off, plug your batt in..the light on the RX well flicker...
Hold down the bind button..(trainer switch) if its the DX6i.and turn on your radio.(while keeping the swtich/button help) Keep it held till the light goes solid and you'll here all your servos move and lock in..
remove the bind plug and reboot the power/battery. Did the person give you the manual with this? If not it can be had on-line (PFD).

I'd highly recommend you read it.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Got it, thank you. New problem. I turn on the tx then activate throttle hold, then I plug in the battery and wait for the tones. When I turn off TH the rotors start spinning, slowly, but still. I did a test and did not activate TH before plugging in the battery, (unsafe) but then it did not do this. No rotor movement with the stick all the way down, like it should be. I don't want to be plugging in the battery without having TH on though. Any ideas on this problem?
Last edited by stuball56; Nov 19, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,603 Posts
I use a DX7, so it might be different to the DX6i.

Throttle hold should have all the sub trim for throttle to it's lowest setting. When you switch to normal mode, throttle sub trim should be in the middle by default. You probabaly need to give the throttle some neg sub trim to stop the blades spinning. IIRC I had the same prob and had to re-read the setup guide (think it was mentioned in there anyway...).

Hope this helps.

BTW, if you haven't used a bind plug on your previous models rx's, it might be a good idea to rebind them all....just in case.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:25 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
All my previous heli's are mini or micro with the 5 in one boards, I believe they are called. So they do not use bind plug, is that correct?
This Setup guide? I bought the heli used so I don't have one, unless you mean the manual. But the manual that I have has little info on setting up a radio. Is there a place to get this setup guide online?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:26 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Got it, thank you. New problem. I turn on the tx then activate throttle hold, then I plug in the battery and wait for the tones. When I turn off TH the rotors start spinning, slowly, but still. I did a test and did not activate TH before plugging in the battery, (unsafe) but then it did not do this. No rotor movement with the stick all the way down, like it should be. I don't want to be plugging in the battery without having TH on though. Any ideas on this problem?
The ultra micros dont need a bind plug, they go into bind when turned on with no transmitter on. The bigger stuff needs a bind plug. Look at the receiver and find the bind/batt terminal. That's where the bind plug goes. You can use a normal servo plug with the 2 outside wires hooked together for a bind plug,
That's all they are.
Make a Spektrum Bind Plug (2 min 24 sec)

Insert bind plug
Plug in heli battery
turn on transmitter in bind mode
unplug heli battery
turn off transmitter
remove bind plug
done

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/S...ProdID=BLH1650
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:32 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you, I've got the rx/tx bound now. My problem continues to be the blades turning after I turn off throttle hold, even though the stick is all the way down. But if I plug in the battery without throttle hold on the blades do not turn. But as I said, I don't want to be doing that too often.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Just wondering here , are you turning on the Dx6i with the throttle hold on ?

If so, that is the problem, the Tx doesnt bind with the heli untill you turn of the T-hold and then turn it on again.
Does the Tx beep constant when you turn it on ? It shouldnt.

Other than that, its in the settings in the Tx.

Edit, I wonder if the ESC has been changed and needs a recalibration on end points.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:46 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you. Yes the transmitter beeps if I forget and have t-hold on while I am switching on the tx. But, unless I do forget, I turn on the tx, and then I turn on T-hold, then plug in the heli and wait a few seconds, then turn T-hold off, and the rotor starts turning slowly but enough to almost move the heli.

Edit: A click or two of down throttle trim, as recommended above, seems to do the trick.
Last edited by stuball56; Nov 19, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Is your throttle trim all the way down?
oops.... needed a refresh!
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr