SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:54 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,466 Posts
Let me throw some words of advice in here. For the FP to 450 guy. The best thing you can do, and I speak of this from experience. Set up your FP so that when you throw the hold switch the motor is live. Probably arounf 35% at zero throttle. Now the only way to stop the motor is to throw the hold switch. Even if you dont crash. set it up so that when the stick is at full down the motor is still spinning the rotor. it will teach you to throw the hold switch to stop the rotor every time. that will prep you for needing to hit that switch in an emergency.

Also with the pitch at 40 you may not snap into the ground, but the bigger helis need a little negative pitch to come down when moving forward. You are goung to find that at 40 if you are going full forward it wil be hard to slow the bird without climbing. I have the Nano CP the MCPx anf the 450. if you can't fly the Nano and the Micro CP, you shouldnt be flying the 450. Im sure hovering ill be easy enough, but once you transition to fast forward flight you will be missing a skillset that the smaller CP helis can teach you. With a lot less cost during failure as well. Keep in mind, one crash of the 450 can easily exceed the cost of a new Micro heli. I landed on uneven ground and it caused the 450 to have a rotor strike at low RPM. That little boo boo cost $50 to repair.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Let me throw some words of advice in here. For the FP to 450 guy. The best thing you can do, and I speak of this from experience. Set up your FP so that when you throw the hold switch the motor is live. Probably arounf 35% at zero throttle. Now the only way to stop the motor is to throw the hold switch. Even if you dont crash. set it up so that when the stick is at full down the motor is still spinning the rotor. it will teach you to throw the hold switch to stop the rotor every time. that will prep you for needing to hit that switch in an emergency.

Also with the pitch at 40 you may not snap into the ground, but the bigger helis need a little negative pitch to come down when moving forward. You are goung to find that at 40 if you are going full forward it wil be hard to slow the bird without climbing. I have the Nano CP the MCPx anf the 450. if you can't fly the Nano and the Micro CP, you shouldnt be flying the 450. Im sure hovering ill be easy enough, but once you transition to fast forward flight you will be missing a skillset that the smaller CP helis can teach you. With a lot less cost during failure as well. Keep in mind, one crash of the 450 can easily exceed the cost of a new Micro heli. I landed on uneven ground and it caused the 450 to have a rotor strike at low RPM. That little boo boo cost $50 to repair.
I started flying the 450 before either the msrx or the nanocp. I just flew the beginner settings recommended by Blade with some training gear, and was fine. I'm using the nanocp/sim to learn inverted flying, but for basic forward flight and hovering they're not necessary in my opinion. Larger helis really are a lot easier to fly (especially with the new FLB tech coming up).
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:55 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
After reading this thread, and watching alot of videos I have come to the conclusion that I am nuts! But, I just HAVE to have a "big" heli. Yes, the 450 is big to me. HUGE in fact, lol. So that is why I have used the shoot first ask questions later approach to getting into flying planes and heli's. Not the most efficient or cheapest route for sure. Here is something else crazy; I bought a Nano CPX and it was too fast, too hard, couldnt fly it. So, what do I do? Sell the Nano and buy a 450
Note: I also did buy a MCPX 2, and a MCPX Tandem, and a 120 SR, so my "plan" is at least to get good with those first. Although alot of folks say that the 120 SR is not really any preperation for the 450. But at least it will teach me further muscle memory and orientation. I HAVE to get used to using Throttle Cut.
I have to recommend a simulator. My heli adventures started out on a coax and in fact I still fly my custom brushless CX2 a lot. Ive had the 120sr, the Blade SR, MSR, and now the 4503D. I have about 25 flights on the 450 just hovering so far (without any crashes yet) but am ready to transition to FFF when I get the nerve up.

I can fly the skids off of one on the simulator in scale flight and do flips and rolls. I get disoriented easy when inverted though. That will come in time I think, or not. There is not much to lose there so you can try things out and learn from your mistakes and with a simple reset you are new again. I consider it an invaluable aid and will help you to develop the skillset needed for FFF. You can get some of that with a coax or fixed pitch too. Hovering is fun but you will want to advance soon. The simulator will save you some $$$ in the long run too!
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I definitely agree the sim is a good idea, if only to get the right reflexes. Don't think it'll get you ready for the real thing though! Just help from having some dumb thumb crashes...
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
448 Posts
Just my 2 cents, hovering practice is great just don't get stuck in a rut. At a point you need to grab the bull by the horns and start moving that heli around. In other words start pushing that stick forward.
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:11 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,647 Posts
I think it's important not to be influenced by experienced flyers and trying to fly too early. There's a lot to be learnt from hovering, if you can't hover nose in or side on, FFF will end in a crash as you need to hover to land.

While moving the stick forward to 'fly' is rewarding, so is 'crabbing' a little and simple rotations as your confidence grows. Personally I found small steps in my learning curve better than attempting to 'go for it' and crashing. Crashing sucks, and I'd rather be a slow learner at flying than a quick learner at repairing.

I can do a lot more on the sim than I can in reality, but sim flights nearly always end in a crash because I am more aggresive on the sim than I would be if it was my heli. Sims are good for learning but not a substitute for actual flying, but without a sim I wouldn't be flying a heli. Took me a few days to even hover on the sim, thought I'd never get it, but slowly I did. I'm totally self taught (both planes and heli's), no-one to help me around here so I took/take it slow.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:36 PM
Now you see it...
Joined Feb 2006
448 Posts
I didn't say rush it. I said when your ready dont hold back. I found myself holding back when I knew I was clearly ready for the next move. When your ready, do it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,647 Posts
Sorry EH, wasn't implying you were, just that sometimes it can feel that experienced flyers try and encourage hoverers to take the next step too early. I too could have tried FFF earlier but didn't.

The 1st time I did 4-5 mins of halfpipes it left me buzzing, but because I was 'well ready for it', it didn't end in tears. I'm happy with the way I've learnt anyway.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
Now you see it...
Joined Feb 2006
448 Posts
Thank u feefo, and I do agree with you as well. You can rush it and end up very discouraged if your not carful. There's a fine line there and you need to know when cross it. Just don't let fear hold you back.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Nice to see how you guys handled that discussion, no name calling or argueing, just differing opinions. Very sporting and a nice change on a forum. Cheers !
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
Now you see it...
Joined Feb 2006
448 Posts
Right there with you on that. It seems every thread Is full of people just wanting to start something with people they don't even know. I believe it's healthy to have your own opinion and be able to share it without being chastised for it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:40 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
+1
Keep up the good work guys!

Edit
In case you haven't heard of this, here is an online training site. Lots of people have learned by following the directions here. I tried it. It will make you a very disciplined flier if you stick to it.... so they say

RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Yup Radds is very informative.

Also heres a link to a free sim program, IMO its as good of a trainer as the more expensive ones, it just doesnt have all the fancy graphics... but hey, its free (and safe to download) ;

http://www.marksfiles.net/HeliSim/
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I need to get a bit larger canopy for the B450, due to runing a bit longer batteries and the fit is to tight, sometimes causing the battery to be pushed into the motor.

Question is who has any ideas for a larger canapy that will fit pretty good, other than maybe redrilling the mounting holes. I would rather go for a scale body, but those are a little pricey for me right now. Appreciate any help guys.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
Now you see it...
Joined Feb 2006
448 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question. If buying a scale canopy is out, redrill and move the grommets. Thats what I would do. Maybe someone here has seen a longer canopy at econ prices but I havent. Good luck.