HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Any blades of the same length will do. I use fiberglass blades because they're lighter and tougher than wood but cheaper and a bit more forgiving than carbon blades. Your LHS should have plenty of different ones available.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
Any blades of the same length will do. I use fiberglass blades because they're lighter and tougher than wood but cheaper and a bit more forgiving than carbon blades. Your LHS should have plenty of different ones available.
My LHS is useless, mention a CP heli and their eyes glaze over.

Would you have a link to any options ?
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:33 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
I use Align Carbon blades, tons better than the wood, but they damage just as easy if you strike hard surfaces.

I tried fibreglass, I got some off ebay which are similar to other blades mentioned in this thread (or the other Blade 450 thread). They were ok but very heavy compared to the Align.

Personally if the blades have taken a strike I replace them. Headspeed is too high to take the risk IMO. There's a vid on Youtube with a heli (Blade 400 IIRC) that self destructs when it loses a blade.

Ah, found it

Blade 400 exploding (Blade Let Go) CRASH (1 min 17 sec)
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I do agree with that, if the blades get a nick, replace them. They only generally come to about 20 bucks, it's not worth losing your heli (or getting injured) over that little money.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:21 AM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
247 Posts
There are tons of glass and also carbon fibre blades that will outlast the woods. Just look for 325 mm blades. Twenty bucks or so should get you a good set
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:49 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
[Edit] I just took out the main gear and tail gear assembly. After watching a Maintance video on the owb etc. I put the bolt through the bottom hole, and spin the 2 gears opposite each other, they lock up as normal going one way. But when i spin them the other way, it binds at a certain spot every time, then breaks fee. where as when he spins his its super smooth. I re-striped it all down again and it all looks normal to me. Its like the inner owb is grinding on the outter anti rotation sleeve. Going to get some white grease and hopefully that frees it up. the sleeve is a bit worn, but its not bent or warped.
Ok well after me realizing im a complete noob,i took it apart again to have a look as something had to be binding it up. After looking at the OWB sleeve it had a indentation in it. so im guessing that the spot it owb was hitting every time. So got that ordered and a set of tail gears..as i over tighten the bottom screw and cracked it..im to have great luck so far lol
should have it this week, might be able to finally get a flight in on this.

heres my maiden... keep in mind this is my first hili flight ever lol
Blade 450 3D Maiden (5 min 19 sec)

on a side note i have been practising with my muti rotor lol
KK 2.0 (4 min 37 sec)
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
716 Posts
is it ok to lube the 1 way bearing?....btw...nice flying there east...keep it up
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Last edited by CPMBOY; Oct 28, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:55 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
is it ok to lube the 1 way bearing?....btw...nice flying there east...keep it up
thanks man!

I should have my OWB sleeve this week, weather has been sucking lately so...hopefully i can get a few flights in before it gets to cold/snowy

This is what i'm going to go by...;0) and thats what my owb looked like so it was shot, which i think is what caused the indentation on the sleeve...which is why i was still getting grindings even after the the new owb was replaced
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZtvmTWqLsAY
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:41 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I am trying to decide if this would be the better choice for me at this time than the 450 X. I am very new to heli's, but I want a larger one. I have a couple coaxial heli's, and a Blade 120 SR which is a FP heli. I don't expect to be doing any fancy flying, just practicing a hover and slow foreward flight. I don't dream of loops or inverted or anything. I think I am more of a scale flyer, but as I said, I want a larger one. So, the 450 3D? Or, the 450 X?
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:59 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Stuball this is my first Hili period so i cant really say..my friend has the X why he sold me this one..for me being new i like it.
I would like to get this scale fuse for her in the spring
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...size_heli.html

well got mine up and running heres a little flight form yesterday...i toned down the Pitch curve to tame her down. Im not planning any 3D yet so...
no i think i set them to 40 60 85 95 100 something like that lol
Blade450 3D hovering (7 min 5 sec)

I have been flying a quadcopter for the past year(check my other videos)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:08 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I will check out your videos. A quad or multi is def on my radar. But for now: So, the 450 3D is your first heli? But as you said, you had quad experience right? I think I will go for this heli first, the 3D. IF I can get some experience and skill, then perhaps in the future a larger flybarless model. Do you consider this heli one that a person with some fixed pitch experience could master?
The video above is what I hope I can do without crashing, then I can move on from there.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:19 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I will check out your videos. A quad or multi is def on my radar. But for now: So, the 450 3D is your first heli? But as you said, you had quad experience right? I think I will go for this heli first, the 3D. IF I can get some experience and skill, then perhaps in the future a larger flybarless model. Do you consider this heli one that a person with some fixed pitch experience could master?
yea quads are cool, great camera platforms.
Well that was my 4th flight ;0) so yea i think you should be fine...yipper first hili
first flight latest 5 mins and i tumbled in the weeds..vid was posted last page or so

then last week in a gym at my clubs indoor i had 2 solid 7min flights. After i did a bit of searching i found out that for noobs a tamer pitch curve well help. first i was running my friends set-up of 25 35 50 75100 i do believe...that was way to much neg pitch for my liking...the slightest below 50%thr and she was sink pretty darn fast lol

My pitch is at +8.5 and-8.5 degrees also i think. May bump it up to 10 after a few more hovering sessions
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:31 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you for that great info. What does your friend say about the difference between flying the 3D and the X?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Np, not to much! the X is FBL right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:40 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Flybarless? yes. And about $200 more too.