HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:51 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,613 Posts
I'll agree the 450 is quick. My memory's a bit hazy, but the 450 is definately more powerful than the Belt CP I had. Seems to hold it's momentum well too if you can keep your flying smooth.

I changed my blades to some Align 325D carbon, the difference over the cheap glass fibre ones I was using was huge. After speaking to a shop I guess the 325F's would have been ok as I'm not doing 3D, but when the shop said I'd get a higher headspeed with the D's I spent the extra and went with them. I also spent the time setting up my head again with a swash tool and pitch gauge, well worth the 20 mins or so it took as it seemed a lot smoother afterwards.

You must be flying quite aggresively Wookster, I can still get a good 7 mins hovering in idle up mode (intermediate settings), battery is rarely under 11v when back on the charger. If I go to an open space to fly (rather than hovering outside my house), I reduce my timer to 6 mins, and again it normally reads just over 11v when put back on the charger.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:05 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
Im thinking of making small holes on the underside of the canopy just to let some air inside the canopy.......
I doubt it'll make a huge difference, I'd have thought the majority of airflow is from the blades as the motor is directly under them. Maybe holes in the screen of the canopy would get air in when doing FFF, but personally I think it'll look messy.

My battery is only warm, never hot to touch. I've never checked the esc or the motor, but I've got an IR thermometer so after my next flight I'll check all 3 and post how warm they actually are.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:44 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
I'll agree the 450 is quick. My memory's a bit hazy, but the 450 is definately more powerful than the Belt CP I had. Seems to hold it's momentum well too if you can keep your flying smooth.

I changed my blades to some Align 325D carbon, the difference over the cheap glass fibre ones I was using was huge. After speaking to a shop I guess the 325F's would have been ok as I'm not doing 3D, but when the shop said I'd get a higher headspeed with the D's I spent the extra and went with them. I also spent the time setting up my head again with a swash tool and pitch gauge, well worth the 20 mins or so it took as it seemed a lot smoother afterwards.

You must be flying quite aggresively Wookster, I can still get a good 7 mins hovering in idle up mode (intermediate settings), battery is rarely under 11v when back on the charger. If I go to an open space to fly (rather than hovering outside my house), I reduce my timer to 6 mins, and again it normally reads just over 11v when put back on the charger.
I think I may be getting a bit rough with her. I have 90C batteries and I'm sturggling with some of my maneuvers because the headspeed keeps getting low. Working on collective management skills. That probably means I'm working the heck out of that thing until I learn to control it a bit better. Tic-Tocs are fighting me right now.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Lots of variables though, if you are flying 7-8 minutes chances are its a less powerful heli. Not bashing it, just stating possibilities. If I went 8 min with this blade 1-2 minutes of that would be to walk to wherever it hit LVC and fell to the ground at. I have a feeling this 450 is a fairly powerful bird. I have nothing to compare it to that i have flown, but I currently fly it at a predominantly nitro rc field. So I fly the pattern and do loops, rolls, hammerheads, etc. I'll be darn if that little 450 couldn't chase down most of the 40 size nitro birds. She be a quick one.
I agree. Just hovering for me
minbari is offline Find More Posts by minbari
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:30 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
I think I may be getting a bit rough with her. I have 90C batteries and I'm sturggling with some of my maneuvers because the headspeed keeps getting low. Working on collective management skills. That probably means I'm working the heck out of that thing until I learn to control it a bit better. Tic-Tocs are fighting me right now.
At least you're honest....
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I've gone through about 12 packs with this thing, and I'm really enjoying the helicopter challenge after getting a little bored with planes (after going 4S on my skyfun I had to ask myself what next...). Only had a minor crash that just blew the wooden blades (disorientation), I managed to cut the power early enough.

How do you guys get over disorientation? Practice and just knowing where it's pointed?

When do you guys think it's a good time to remove training gear? I get the feeling they bog down the bird every now and then, especially if there are little gusts of wind.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:49 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
When do you guys think it's a good time to remove training gear? I get the feeling they bog down the bird every now and then, especially if there are little gusts of wind.
I used TRex 550 skids rather than training gear... I like the look and they work just fine!

jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Dec 2011
665 Posts
Quote:

How do you guys get over disorientation? Practice and just knowing where it's pointed?
This is a very good question. I still get disorientated despite the model size (fly mcpx through to 600) especially when 3/4 way through slow turns. Trick is to keep going and orientation issue will hopefully resolve itself. Some say watch the blades, others say watch skids. If in trouble, move something so you can have an idea which way you heading, and fix it by going quickly tail in which most with some experience can handle by instinct - don't panic or hesitate (thumb freeze...)

Quote:

I took mine off very early (within a week of flying them on 450's). Learned to handle challenges on a smaller crash friendly mcpx and then had enough confidence to tackle the bigger helis without training gear.
deonjams is offline Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
has anyone use this to lock the B450 flybar?....
http://www.ronlund.com/mm5/merchant....tore_Code=RHPS......

or any other recommended tools?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Question for the pros, the aileron servo sometimes stays put in the last spot untill I jiggle the throttle or aileron sticks , the linkage is not to tight on the swash and head parts. Is the servo getting weak or is it something else, maybe the Rx ?

Will a HS-82MG Micro Metal gear servo from HK work on this heli ?

TIA for the help.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:33 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Question for the pros, the aileron servo sometimes stays put in the last spot untill I jiggle the throttle or aileron sticks , the linkage is not to tight on the swash and head parts. Is the servo getting weak or is it something else, maybe the Rx ?

Will a HS-82MG Micro Metal gear servo from HK work on this heli ?

TIA for the help.
That is definitely a bad servo. Do not fly with that servo!!!

You can probably smell a burnt smell coming from that servo.
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
I've isolated it and thats where the noise was coming from also (clacking).

Now , I really think that going to metal gear servos is in my best interest (not gonna be doing any 3D), some one recomended the Tower Pro mg90 , will this fit the Blade chassis ? The measurements arent quite the same, with only one being off. I dont know which one it is however.

http://www.valuehobby.com/towerpro-m...ini-servo.html
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
Quote:
I've isolated it and thats where the noise was coming from also (clacking).

Now , I really think that going to metal gear servos is in my best interest (not gonna be doing any 3D), some one recomended the Tower Pro mg90 , will this fit the Blade chassis ? The measurements arent quite the same, with only one being off. I dont know which one it is however.

That servo should fit just fine.

I know it sucks spending the money but I would recommend, from personal experience, that buying quality cyclic servos is worth the money. I bought inexpensive cyclic servos, Solar D654's, and had two of them burn out in flight and cause a crash. After that I bought Spektrum H3000's and absolutely love them.

That said my Blade 450 is FBL which is harder on servos but I would still recommend going with a quality servo such as Spektrum, Savox, Hitec, ect.
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
I use the mg90 on my razor. metal gears, very fast. So far I like em
minbari is offline Find More Posts by minbari
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:

I used those servos on my Blade 450 3D. It's a bit tight but no mods are necessary and they work awesome, even for 3D! Don't think twice, get them!
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan