to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2011, 08:04 PM
...it's a dry heat.
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Feb 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
Thanks. The 120 SR is real fun too. You might enjoy this video, flying over the pool at my daughters in LA. No cras..splashing allowed!
Cool vid - I've seen it before. Nice controlled flying (which is why you don't need to replace parts!) My back yard is about the same size as your daughters, with pool also. I haven't done the 'over water' yet, but one of these days I'm sure I will. I have a good-size cul-de-sac out front to fly in the meantime... pavement is hard, but still more forgiving than water!
Phoenix Flier is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix Flier
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli View Post
I understand, to a point, the argument of just wanting to buy and fly. My question is, what do you do when you crash? Aren't you going to have to find the time to repair and re-build? As soon as you crash, you now essentially have a kit with some parts broken. Buy replacements for the broken pieces and then you have to re-assemble, and set up everything from scratch. Not much different from assembling your own in the first place.
Yes and no. When I have crashed my Blade SR, I only had to learn how to fix the specific parts that I broke. More significantly, I did not have to setup and adjust everything all at once, while not knowing what I was doing. Each time I break a different part of the helicopter, I learn a little more. If it is a bit off, I know what parts are the likely culprits.

Last night was my worst crash so far. I needed to replace the feathering shaft, main shaft, main gear, tail motor (bent the shaft on the motor as I hit tail first) and possibly the flybar (a little tweaked, will need to test). Even with this, the repair time was less than an hour which I did while watching TV with the wife. Rather than starting with a box of parts, I start with a model of how it goes back together and I only disassemble those parts that need to be replaced.

Eventually I will build a kit, but for now, it is nice to be able to get something ready to fly out of the box, has the servos adjusted, the swash level, no soldering, etc. I am looking forward to getting the Blade 450 when they arrive. I put a deposit on one a few weeks ago to ensure I get one as soon as they arrive at my local shop.

At this point, I really don't know what electronics I would want anyway. Hopefully I will have a better idea by the time I break them and need to buy replacements. Having a fully assembled helicopter with parts that work well together (maybe not the best, but well enough) adds a lot of value to me.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined Dec 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post
Yes and no. When I have crashed my Blade SR, I only had to learn how to fix the specific parts that I broke. More significantly, I did not have to setup and adjust everything all at once, while not knowing what I was doing. Each time I break a different part of the helicopter, I learn a little more. If it is a bit off, I know what parts are the likely culprits.

Last night was my worst crash so far. I needed to replace the feathering shaft, main shaft, main gear, tail motor (bent the shaft on the motor as I hit tail first) and possibly the flybar (a little tweaked, will need to test). Even with this, the repair time was less than an hour which I did while watching TV with the wife. Rather than starting with a box of parts, I start with a model of how it goes back together and I only disassemble those parts that need to be replaced.

Eventually I will build a kit, but for now, it is nice to be able to get something ready to fly out of the box, has the servos adjusted, the swash level, no soldering, etc. I am looking forward to getting the Blade 450 when they arrive. I put a deposit on one a few weeks ago to ensure I get one as soon as they arrive at my local shop.

At this point, I really don't know what electronics I would want anyway. Hopefully I will have a better idea by the time I break them and need to buy replacements. Having a fully assembled helicopter with parts that work well together (maybe not the best, but well enough) adds a lot of value to me.

-Chocula
I think this is solid reasoning and I couldn't agree more. On a side note I entered my 4th month of flying the B400 this morning and it still is as it was out of the box RTF. I have not changed or adjusted anything or replaced any parts as I haven't crashed yet, and it still flies great. I'm sure I'll end up with the B450 sooner or later and the B400 will be retired and will become a decorative item in my den.
jedi391 is offline Find More Posts by jedi391
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:54 PM
Dublin, Ca
Joined Nov 2007
127 Posts
Im leaning twoards the 450. Put the SR out of my mind. But now Im lookin at all the trex's out there. I know parts for the Blade will be easier to get. how is the rex as a first cp heli...from what ive read the blade is a little more tame...
Joe in Dublin is offline Find More Posts by Joe in Dublin
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:35 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,374 Posts
If you take some time to go over the 450 as it comes from the box, you can see and learn a lot about how to set the heli up after a crash. The programming in the DX6i is not the most condusive to easy flying, but after taking some time to ask and learn about what the adjustments are used for and why you may want to change them, it will be easier to get the most out of the heli. Now, when you want to build up a T-Rex, you will know what to adjust in the TX in order to get the new heli electronically set up. When you buy your B450, also buy a pitch gauge and a very good set of screwdrivers (including hex drivers). If you find one, also get a swash levelling tool for the Blade and when you buy another heli, get one for it, too. There are cheap methods to get the swash levelled, but the tool is the best and fastest way to do it. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
Dublin, Ca
Joined Nov 2007
127 Posts
Now, not comin out till may..... I've been lookin at trex's... Must resist....
Joe in Dublin is offline Find More Posts by Joe in Dublin
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:00 PM
You got somethin' to say!?!
United States, WA, Index
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Extended shot

New extended shot of the Blade 450 in flight.

Looks pretty stable. I dunno. What do ya think? I might need to add to my collection. I am NOT a 3D flyer and I don't have a 400 so this Blade 450 looks just right.

Blade 450 extended shot (0 min 29 sec)
theexpertrcpilot is offline Find More Posts by theexpertrcpilot
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
United States, WA, Index
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Blades

As for parts crossing over, I found this on the Horizon Hobby website regarding the main blades.
Here you go...
__________________________________________________ ___

Tech Notes
The Blade 450 3D uses a new design on the main rotor blades (BLH1615). The blades used in the Blade 400 3D look similar but are not the same (EFLH1415A). Do NOT use EFLH1415A on the new Blade 450 3D. Although these blades will work fine on the Blade 400 3D, the Blade 450 3D is a more powerful helicopter and using EFLH1415A will create an unsafe condition. BLH1615 is safe to use on BOTH the Blade 450 3D and Blade 400 3D.

To check if your blades are the new BLH1615 design, simply look at the mounting hole. If there is a brass insert, the blades are BLH1615. If there is not a brass insert present, the blades are EFLH1415A and should not be used on the Blade 450 3D in any circumstance.

Here is link to an image of both blades showing the difference to look for:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...adecompare.jpg
__________________________________________________ ___

I dunno if other parts cross over but apparently this one doesn't.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:12 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,374 Posts
There are a small number of parts that do cross over, but not as many as you might think. When I put the parts order together for the LHS, I was very surprised at how many parts were different and not just by number. If you get the 450, it should be a better heli out of the box compared to the 400 in many respects, especially the servos and gyro. The gyro is a MEMS type and the servos have been redesigned, so it seems. However, Spektrum has come out with some drop-in replacement servos that are metal gear and have very respectable specifications. I would hazzard a guess that if you bought the 450, it would be as you see it in the video as far as performance and that is not bad at all. The change of the cyclic and tail servos to others will most likely net you better and faster response from them. Take care.

Don
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:42 PM
United States, WA, Index
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Blade 450

Hey Keyrigger,

The new slightly upgraded parts sounds pretty good!
Well for some with the B400s that is not good news, but for me, I have no B400 and I am looking to upgrade from a Blade SR so it is good news. Don't get me wrong the SR was okay...for $199. But I want something better. I hated the tail wag!!! I won't be doing "intense" 3D, but I will do the occasional inverted hover; I don't need some top of the line helicopter that costs more for parts than the helicopter itself. Because I know I will crash this heli once or twice. Which is why I like this Blade 450. Especially the BNF Basic for all us guys who already have transmitters. Plus the aluminium upgrades from the Blade 400 seem like a +1 for durability.

I guess I will have to wait to see what other people say after they blow their own $300+!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
A few parts on the head are different on the 450, the tail is completely new and the tail boom is larger, thus the main frame is different (larger hold for the tail boom and I believe they added a bearing on the main shaft) as well as the main gears and hub. And of course all the electronics are new. However, the swash, tail drive gear, tail drive belt, flybar/seesaw and motor are the same. This leads me to believe that the B400 head will drop into the frame maybe with a little modification of the main shaft. If I ever crash my B400 and break the tail and main frame, Ill just buy 450 parts and swap my already upgraded electronics over and have a B450
RSteel Panther is offline Find More Posts by RSteel Panther
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:23 PM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
being somewhat bias to the trex platform I can still say it seems to fly very nice judging my that video, however I hate the way they look, just look to much like a toy. Eflite has really done a good job of making CP heli much easier to get into and less intimidating the the amateur pilot, and I believe a experienced pilot would also enjoy flying this heli.
RC_Marine is offline Find More Posts by RC_Marine
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:21 PM
United States, WA, Index
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Review!

Guess what Horizon just came out with a review of the Blade 450 with a new Blade representative!

Here it is!

HorizonHobby.com Preview - Blade 450 3D (10 min 45 sec)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:58 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,374 Posts
As was mentioned before, it really is a new heli. If there was one way I would like to see HH proceed with the next heli, I would like them to come out with a fully finished, all metal and carbon fibre helicopter and leave the plastic (or most of it) off like Align has done with theirs. It will put the price higher, but if you produce it in large enough numbers, the cost should be nowhere near as bad as buying a stocker and then adding all the bling.

I am waiting for the new gyro as I have a few heli's that are going to get that installed in place of the G110's I currently have in a few of mine. It will be nice to see my 300 fleet with a solidly locking gyro and one that I can now start to fly in rate mode for general sport flying. Take care.

Don