HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieb84 View Post
Could I fly a Blade 450 3d with one? I'm still pretty new to all this and wasn't sure if it would work or not. Seems I would be able to fly about anything with it as long as I switch the rx that comes with it.
Exactly right. You will, most likely, have to change the rx out. But out can be set up for gliders, planks and helis
minbari is offline Find More Posts by minbari
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:12 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,647 Posts
Made a serious break through in flying this heli yesterday, I finally found the nerve to use a throttle hold setting.

WOW...what a difference to forward flight. Turns are now much easier and generally more fun to fly. Now that my headspeed is up (using a 65% throttle setting) I can just concentrate on how much pitch I need. Downside is flight times are reduced and the 3 x 2200's that were on their way out are getting pretty puffed now, time to chuck them away.

I like this heli even more
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Do you mean idle up? Throttle hold turns the motor off
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:05 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
65% throttle is pretty low. Is that with the stock 420 motor and 10 tooth pinion?
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
Do you mean idle up? Throttle hold turns the motor off
Sorry, yes idle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
65% throttle is pretty low. Is that with the stock 420 motor and 10 tooth pinion?
Yes I know it's quite low, but it seems plenty in the small space I have. It's made a big difference.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:47 AM
United States, IN, North Vernon
Joined Jul 2012
20 Posts
I am now thinking of just trying to build a decent 450 from a kit but I am not sure what kit would be a good one. I am still fairly new to all this but I want to try and build my first heli. I think it would be sheaper and since it is my first I don't want to get too carried away with the cost. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
donnieb84 is offline Find More Posts by donnieb84
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:10 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,647 Posts
Yes you could build a 450 heli cheaper, but you could also spend more depending on motor, controller, servo's and the gyro you decide to use. Blade 450 works out of the box, building a heli will mean you'll have to work things out and over come the little probs that will no doubt crop up. I thought about buying a kit and having a go, but I managed to talk myself out of it. Some of the kits I read about need parts swapping (normally with Align parts, $$$) as they are a poor fit.

If you're thinking of a kit, researching the build/reviews will give you an idea, personally it seemed too much hassle.

CopterX seemed to get good reviews, I think KDS too.

There's always 'clone' kits on ebay, and I bet a fair few here on RCG classifieds too.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
679 Posts
Quote:
I am now thinking of just trying to build a decent 450 from a kit but I am not sure what kit would be a good one. I am still fairly new to all this but I want to try and build my first heli. I think it would be sheaper and since it is my first I don't want to get too carried away with the cost. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Smaller KDS up to 450 is rtf and really good value for money - learn to fly on this or a Blade MCPX/130X if you already at cp level. Hope you can find KDS - lucky to have a lhs that supplies them and all spares. You have to build KDS 500 upwards, and that is at least 3 nights work but go together really well (and at this size not that cheap). If you really want to build, then I find Align combo kits pricey but worth every cent as they go together so well. But don't learn to fly on Align... They are easy to fly when set up well BUT not to begin with. If you want really good value, then the HK products will work (450TT kit is around $60, but you still need radio and electrics), but you must have some building experience for a HK project.
deonjams is offline Find More Posts by deonjams
Last edited by deonjams; Aug 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
20 Posts
I have found a Blade 450 3d bnf that I think I am going to buy but I am wondering about a transmitter. He is willing to throw in a skyfly CT6B with rx. Does anyone know if these are any good or have any opinions on them? Thanks in advance guys for all your help.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,647 Posts
Quote:
I have found a Blade 450 3d bnf that I think I am going to buy but I am wondering about a transmitter. He is willing to throw in a skyfly CT6B with rx. Does anyone know if these are any good or have any opinions on them? Thanks in advance guys for all your help.
It looks very similar to the Esky tx, I had the older 35mhz tx with a Honey Bee King II, and it wasn't very good.

This 1 may be better with it being 2.4g and digitally proportional, but you really should bite the bullet when you buy a tx and get something decent.

TBH I thought you were already flying and had a tx etc, so....IF you think you are seriously going to get into this hobby, buy the best tx you can afford. While a 6ch will do pretty much everything, it won't do it as well as a tx with more channels, i.e. 7, 8, 9 channel etc. Get a programable tx with a LCD screen, menu's, options, sub trims and mixes etc.

I used a DX6i for a couple of years for flying park flyer planes and eleccy gliders. Only had 2 brown outs, but it was the same rx in 2 different planes. 1st plane was destroyed, 2nd plane was a Zagi (so it survived ). RX was a cheap chinese copy, but it looked like a 6110E with Spektrum logo on. HH actually swapped it for me FoC for an original when I returned it for service! TX was good, but does have limits. Sold the DX6i and got a DX7 which is better for programming, I use that for some park flyers and my heli but I use a 2.4g MPX Royal Pro Evo 9 for my full house slope gliders and fast eleccy planes. MPX is great, I love it, programming is different and takes a different approach which led to a bit of frustration but you soon get used to it. Slowly swapping everything over to MPX but I need the DX7 for my son to learn to fly on, I won't let him use the MPX in case he drops it....

There's other makes like Futaba, Hitec (Aurora 9 seems good), JR or Airtronics, but I haven't used them so can't really comment.

If you go with that tx I think you'll struggle to fly a heli like the 450 (ANY heli IMO), probabaly crash it and end up getting dis-heartened with the hobby. If you buy something better like a DX6i etc, you can sell it if you decide to quit the hobby and at least get some cash back.

Check out RCG classifieds or ebay to buy used and save some $$$.

Probably not what you wanted to hear....hope it helps tho and good luck.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:52 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,647 Posts
Can anyone advise me on pitch settings for nomal and idle up modes?

Settings are as the factory suggest in the manual.

In normal mode everything is fine, plenty of headspeed and pitch.

For my idle up mode I'm now using the factory settings for stunt mode (upped my headspeed), but reduced the amount of negative pitch as I don't need that much for basic flying.

The switch from normal to idle up isn't too bad, but when I switch from idle up to normal, the difference in pitch and headspeed causes the heli to climb, or jump if the heli has landed. While the climb is managable if hovering, it's a little annoying, but the 'jump' if it's landed is very annoying.

In normal mode, at mid throttle, pitch is 60%, but mid throttle on 'stunt' is only 50%. Would it be best to have mid point for both the same at 50%?

BTW...50% pitch is zero degrees pitch, it's just the settings on the DX7 with max neg pitch being 0%, max positive pitch being 100%.

I can probabaly fumble my way through by trial and error but hoped someone could help.

Cheers...

p.s. On the plus side I went to a big open area on the edge of an industrial estate tonight, I was flying big halfpipe circuits, maybe 80'-100' left to right and about 30' in height ('big' is compared to what I'm used to ). WHAT A BLAST!! Can't wait to try again....

p.p.s Where do I find out a list of heli manouvres (and their names)?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
I have mine set up with -3 to 9 for normal and -11 to 11 in idle up.

Then you can tame it down with DR and expo.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:30 AM
Joined Dec 2011
679 Posts
Quote:
For the 450 3d I would use as a minimum a DX6i or any other equivalent programmable tx - need the throttle and pitch curves, dual rates and expo!
deonjams is offline Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
20 Posts
R6B RX Wiring

I just got my Blade 450 3d and I am now trying to hook up my R6b rx for my Flysky tx and I am not sure what servo plugs should go where as this is my first cp heli. It only lists them as channels 1-6 with a batt plug. I dont think I need to use the battery plug because I think the Blades ESC will power it. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
look on page 16 of the manual. it gives a list of the channels in order.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50409712/hel...H9X_MANUAL.pdf
Last edited by minbari; Sep 05, 2012 at 10:54 AM.