SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:30 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
But does it have the c rating this heli will require? 30c barely gets the job done.
I presume you're 3D flying, my 25C Turnigy's give me about 8 mins hovering with some very basic flying in there. Plenty of power to climb out at a good enough rate for a beginner/novice/noob.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:26 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
I presume you're 3D flying, my 25C Turnigy's give me about 8 mins hovering with some very basic flying in there. Plenty of power to climb out at a good enough rate for a beginner/novice/noob.
No 3D, lots of fast forward flight. Couple of loops and rolls, When I first bought this plane I had two 2200 20C packs for my Wildcat that I put into heli duty. They made it 4 flights each. They are now puffed quite a bit in all three of their cells. If it's under 30C it will fly this bird, its just a question of how long. If you are getting 8 mins out of you 2200 I can guarantee you are pushing those batts beyond their limit. How the heck do you get that much time? I could sit in a hover for 5 mins and the battery is down to 25%
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:29 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
I'd have to double check but I think the last pack gave me 8 mins and was at 11v when I put it on charger. Admittingly it was a little puffy, but this is a pack that is past it's best anyway. TBH I'm trying to finish a couple of packs off anyway, they're not ready for the bin yet but are starting to 'age'. Next time I get the heli out I'll make sure I note down time in flight and charge back in and let you know.

I might have less aggressive pitch settings than you, as I've said I use the settings in the manual and set it up manually not by downloading to the tx. Also my flights are hovering and some left to right to left type flying only, and the circuits are tiny, MAX 20' overall, 10' each way. Not sure if that'd make much difference as I'm flying only slightly above hover speed.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:36 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
I'd have to double check but I think the last pack gave me 8 mins and was at 11v when I put it on charger. Admittingly it was a little puffy, but this is a pack that is past it's best anyway. TBH I'm trying to finish a couple of packs off anyway, they're not ready for the bin yet but are starting to 'age'. Next time I get the heli out I'll make sure I note down time in flight and charge back in and let you know.

I might have less aggressive pitch settings than you, as I've said I use the settings in the manual and set it up manually not by downloading to the tx. Also my flights are hovering and some left to right to left type flying only, and the circuits are tiny, MAX 20' overall, 10' each way. Not sure if that'd make much difference as I'm flying only slightly above hover speed.
I was just curios, I'd kill for longer flight times. Just not into killing batts for it. I get what you are saying though, my parkzone batts were towards the end so I don't treat them as nice. Still I lose a lot of forward flight capabilities as the pack loses power. when I turn the bird around and the blades start to rip the lower C ratings really have a hard time with headspeed.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:20 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
Well the pack I tried tonight is one of my weakest, I got 9 mins mixed hovering and small left to right flights (turns are 'on the spot', not sure the tech name...). Head speed was audibly slower than my newer packs and I wouldn't send it far away even if I could. Back on the charger it showed just under 11v as it started to charge and took 1729ma back in.

TBH I think it's more my flying style than the pack. Outside my house I don't go much higher than my head due to telephone wires and trees from across the road, the throttle rarely goes above half and the circuits are small, as if you were in a small hall. Still enjoyed it tho and I'm definately getting better and more confident. It might even be helping to be flying in a small area, at least I'm hoping it is. All those parked cars test your nerves tho.......
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:06 AM
KG5AWQ
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Apr 2012
687 Posts
all this talk about batteries. I just changed my pitch curves for a higher head speed, and forgot to adjust my time accordingly. I got what seemed to be about 6 minutes of pretty hard sport flying and a loop (my first) on the stock 30c battery and lost track of time.

I was up about 35 ft. and the motor literally cut off. Needless to say, I also did my first autorotation and got away with no damage and a nice landing.... Ill be sure to time my flights now!
guaglione87 is offline Find More Posts by guaglione87
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:00 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
does anyone knows if i can fit my blade 450 with a 5 blade head im building a mil mi 8 scale model thanks
ara25demayo is offline Find More Posts by ara25demayo
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, IN, North Vernon
Joined Jul 2012
20 Posts
I am looking to purchase my first 6 ch cp heli and I was looking at getting one of the Blade 450 3d but after seeing some of the posts in this thread I'm not sure its what I want. I didn't know if anyone might have some suggestions for a decent 450size cp bird for me to learn on.
donnieb84 is offline Find More Posts by donnieb84
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
México, MOR, Jiutepec
Joined Oct 2011
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieb84 View Post
I am looking to purchase my first 6 ch cp heli and I was looking at getting one of the Blade 450 3d but after seeing some of the posts in this thread I'm not sure its what I want. I didn't know if anyone might have some suggestions for a decent 450size cp bird for me to learn on.
i am in the same dilemma but im between 130x and the 450 3d because they are cheap and spares can be found anywhere one advice stay with blade the other option is align but i dont think their kits are beginner friendly and are way expensive
ara25demayo is offline Find More Posts by ara25demayo
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara25demayo View Post
i am in the same dilemma but im between 130x and the 450 3d because they are cheap and spares can be found anywhere one advice stay with blade the other option is align but i dont think their kits are beginner friendly and are way expensive
Thanks for the advice, I was actually just thinking the same thing. I think I am gonna try to go with the Blade 450 or possibly just another rtf 6ch like the ESKY V2 CP. Any opinions on that heli?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
It is hard to find parts for esky helicopters...Stay away from them unless you want a lot of down time...
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,664 Posts
I've had the Belt CP (not V2), the Blade 400 and the Blade 450. Belt CP was ok, trouble was it had a cheap gyro that wasn't that good, but it might have been me. A week later I sold it and bought the Blade 400, a much much better heli, I was really enjoying it when I bid and won the PnP 450 off ebay. Mrs gave me grief over having 2 heli's, so I sold the 400 as the 450 is that bit better again.

I use it a couple of times a week maybe, don't usually take it to the field, I only fly it outside the house if it's calm-ish. I enjoy it as a heli but need to use it more to be able to 'fly' it properly.

Would I buy it again...? Yes I would, the Blade 300 is nice but as expensive as the 450, MCPX doesn't hit the spot with me ATM due to it's size, Trex's or copy kits are too much hassle and I can't afford the Blade 500. Oh, the 450 takes a 2200 3s, which I already have penty of so I didn't need to buy any lipo's.

The Blade 400 with the pinion gear changed (can't remember what size) was said to be a nice 'trainer'. There's usually some of them on ebay and forums. Blade 450's better tho....
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Jul 2012
20 Posts
On another topic, what do you guys think about the Turnigy 9x. Is it a good transmitter like the Dx6i or should I steer clear of these?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Think you will get opinions both ways. I think they are great. Get it flashed to the er9x firmware and they are every bit as good as TX 3x the cost
minbari is offline Find More Posts by minbari
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Jul 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
Think you will get opinions both ways. I think they are great. Get it flashed to the er9x firmware and they are every bit as good as TX 3x the cost
Could I fly a Blade 450 3d with one? I'm still pretty new to all this and wasn't sure if it would work or not. Seems I would be able to fly about anything with it as long as I switch the rx that comes with it.