HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:32 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minbari View Post
It is called "idle up" there should be a switch on your TX that will allow normal flight vs idle up.
The idle up setting you would change the throttle curve to 100,90,80,90,100. Normal flight would be something like 0,40,75,80,100.
you also change your pitch curve to 0,25,50,75,100. Normal flight pitch curve might be 35,45,50,75,100. this allows for a easier take off and landing as your normal setting would only have -3° to +11°pitch. For idle up it would be -11° to + 11°. This is what allows inverted flight.

I have never had a heli and started on a 450. Hovering after 2 Weeks on the simulator. Its hard, not impossible, if you are patient
Sheesh, this all kind of sounds over my head. My tx has switches for gear, flaps, elevator, and rudder that you'd flip for your dual rates. Nothing for "idle up". Do I use one of those switches for that?
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Ya, allot of people use "gear"since that is not used for heli.

Look up helifreak.com there is a great thread there for basic heli setup. The videos show how to setup your TX.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=52530

Heli Skills and Setup 101
minbari is online now Find More Posts by minbari
Last edited by minbari; Aug 05, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:41 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Ya, allot of people use "gear"since that is not used for heli.

Look up helifreak.com there is a great thread there for basic heli setup. The videos show how to setup your TX.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=52530

Heli Skills and Setup 101
Thanks! Appreciate the link! I may go with one of these and just start out slow. Just a lot to learn I guess. Not sure what all to check for in pre-flight, or what is supposed to do what, or how everything should look. I love planes but there's not always time to load them up and head out to open areas to fly. Helis are backyard fun and much more portable.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Yup lots of reading. Watch all those videos all the way through.that guy has allot of info to share. I learned allot.

Once you watch those and play with your heli in person. It will all click.

You have a leg up on me, at least, lol. Orientation is a bitch to learn, lol

Oh one more thing I will mention. Look up "Radds school of flight" he has a great 3 day process for getting a feel for helis.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:27 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
So you wouldn't say this heli is something I couldn't move to from the SR 120?
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:08 AM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Not having much luck with the links on HeliFreaks. Clicked on them and got a list of things to do to make videos work. Kinda sucks that these forum sites (rcgroups included) have to have 10-step processes to watch a video or insert a picture.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:19 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,471 Posts
Umm, all of you guys who are talking about wind Vs McpX, have you ever flown one?

My field is always windy. Usually mornings are calm and then things pick up mid-day. At that point the majority of us pack up our nitro planes and head for home, but not me. When the wind gets really ugly there are two things I fly. The McpX and the beast 3D. The Mcpx is the goto for the extremes. 20mph wind no problem. Sure its going to feel a bit different, it certainly does high speed passes faster in one direction, but it doesn not get squirrely, it is also very easy to land in high wind. I can do things in my backyard with the McpX right now that the blade 450 3D hasnt even been considered for yet. Don't worry about the wind, its flybarless. It's going to be able to handle it.

Also yes the RTF McpX is near the price of the 450 3D BNF Basic, But the BNF basic is just that, basic. No battery, no charger, no anything other than the bird. The 450 batteries are about $25-60 each depending on where you get them. I can get the McpX batteries for $5 each. So in all reality, with a durable, nimble, and affordable little McpX I can go outside on a windy day with a fistfull of batteries and kill 2 hours practicing. How much you want to spend on those 450 3D batts to do the same?
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:42 AM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Umm, all of you guys who are talking about wind Vs McpX, have you ever flown one?

My field is always windy. Usually mornings are calm and then things pick up mid-day. At that point the majority of us pack up our nitro planes and head for home, but not me. When the wind gets really ugly there are two things I fly. The McpX and the beast 3D. The Mcpx is the goto for the extremes. 20mph wind no problem. Sure its going to feel a bit different, it certainly does high speed passes faster in one direction, but it doesn not get squirrely, it is also very easy to land in high wind. I can do things in my backyard with the McpX right now that the blade 450 3D hasnt even been considered for yet. Don't worry about the wind, its flybarless. It's going to be able to handle it.

Also yes the RTF McpX is near the price of the 450 3D BNF Basic, But the BNF basic is just that, basic. No battery, no charger, no anything other than the bird. The 450 batteries are about $25-60 each depending on where you get them. I can get the McpX batteries for $5 each. So in all reality, with a durable, nimble, and affordable little McpX I can go outside on a windy day with a fistfull of batteries and kill 2 hours practicing. How much you want to spend on those 450 3D batts to do the same?
I already have tons of 2200 mAh 3S batts from my planes, but I do appreciate the info you gave on the wind-handling for the mcpx. I'm definitely considering that one also. I was hoping to get a bigger heli, but the mcpx may be the way to go!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:56 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
This is purely my subjective opinion but no, it is not something i would move to from the sr120. I am in this very transition, i can fly the 450 decently, some 3d stuff, piros, inverted, learning some other stuff too, and im still flying the mcpx and 130x the majority of the time because i dont feel ready for just 450. The 450 is not a backyard chopper unless youre good enough to never let it get away from you, because its way bigger and faster than the 120 and can get out of hand real fast. Usually I go to a feild. I say get yourself the 130x, (skip the mcpx, too many shortcomings, plus the 130x is considerably bigger.)

Look, i know what you want to hear, but im being 100% honest, i dont think the 450 is a good next step for you. You CAN get it, you can also get a much bigger one too, but honestly, you're going to be sitting there hovering and making small movements forever. It wont be as much fun, and your first crash will have you grounded, ordering parts, rebuilding and spending money. The 130x isnt cheap but it will save you money. Ive crashed it like 20 times and just minor stuff has happened. Its an amazing heli, fully 3d, brushless, powerful, and you can fly it anywhere. You will be on a much steeper learning curve than the 450 because you can pretty much try whatever you want right in your backyard. One finger on the throttle cutoff and flying over grass and you've instantly eliminated 90% of potential damage.
I personally find it to be the most versatile heli ive ever flown. You can fly it inside or outside, doesnt blow out the tail, handles any 3d move and is highy crashable. I absolutely love it. Its the best thing to bridge the gap from beginner heli to 450.
Kawi is online now Find More Posts by Kawi
Last edited by Kawi; Aug 06, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:14 AM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
This is purely my subjective opinion but no, it is not something i would move to from the sr120. I am in this very transition, i can fly the 450 decently, some 3d stuff, piros, inverted, learning some other stuff too, and im still flying the mcpx and 130x the majority of the time because i dont feel ready for just 450. The 450 is not a backyard chopper unless youre good enough to never let it get away from you, because its way bigger and faster than the 120 and can get out of hand real fast. Usually I go to a feild. I say get yourself the 130x, (skip the mcpx, too many shortcomings, plus the 130x is considerably bigger.)

Look, i know what you want to hear, but im being 100% honest, i dont think the 450 is a good next step for you. You CAN get it, you can also get a much bigger one too, but honestly, you're going to be sitting there hovering and making small movements forever. It wont be as much fun, and your first crash will have you grounded, ordering parts, rebuilding and spending money. The 130x isnt cheap but it will save you money. Ive crashed it like 20 times and just minor stuff has happened. Its an amazing heli, fully 3d, brushless, powerful, and you can fly it anywhere. You will be on a much steeper learning curve than the 450 because you can pretty much try whatever you want right in your backyard. One finger on the throttle cutoff and flying over grass and you've instantly eliminated 90% of potential damage.
I personally find it to be the most versatile heli ive ever flown. You can fly it inside or outside, doesnt blow out the tail, handles any 3d move and is highy crashable. I absolutely love it. Its the best thing to bridge the gap from beginner heli to 450.
You haven't had any problems with the tail being fragile on the 130x? I've read that over and over about the 130.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Not having much luck with the links on HeliFreaks. Clicked on them and got a list of things to do to make videos work. Kinda sucks that these forum sites (rcgroups included) have to have 10-step processes to watch a video or insert a picture.
I just clicked on em and they opened in youtube.

Quote:
as I said, I have never flown a larger heli and I started with a 450 ccpm. is it harder than a coax? sure. but you have previous RC experience. you should be able to wrap your head around it.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:54 AM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
I just clicked on em and they opened in youtube.
Great! I'll just YouTube search for them. I was going to do that anyhow last night and ended up falling asleep.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Great! I'll just YouTube search for them. I was going to do that anyhow last night and ended up falling asleep.
ok, I lied. that was a different site, sorry. if you just click the link, it will pop open window and then click the "stream video" link and it plays right in the browser using window media player.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:22 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
You haven't had any problems with the tail being fragile on the 130x? I've read that over and over about the 130.
No I haven't had any issues. I read about them but it never happened to mine, and I've had a lot of hard crashes. I actually had the slider pop out on the tail and I had to put it back in place a couple times after a hard crash, I also wore out one of the main gears, the a-gear right away, I replaced it and the second one lasted until now, must have been seated bad out of the box, and I took the tail apart to do it, and it still has been fine.
Kawi is online now Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:22 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
I already have tons of 2200 mAh 3S batts from my planes, but I do appreciate the info you gave on the wind-handling for the mcpx. I'm definitely considering that one also. I was hoping to get a bigger heli, but the mcpx may be the way to go!
But does it have the c rating this heli will require? 30c barely gets the job done.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster