HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:36 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,562 Posts
I'll 2nd that HH are superb at their customer service. Lost the button that goes on the head, not available to buy seperately, only as part of a head assembly. I sent an email to HH uk and a few days later the button turned up FoC. Gotta be worth getting in touch to see what they'll do.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
251 Posts
I have found the motor bearings are maybe the weakest link in the long term reliability of the B450.

The bearings are easy to replace. There is a 3mm circlip that holds the stationary part to spinning part. The picture looks like it is missing. If so, should be able to pull the spinning part along with the shaft up and off the base. There will be a significant amount of magnetism holding these together so give it a tug.

I was able to pull my bearings using a bent paper clip.

The part number for the bearings is BLH1613, they are 3x7x3 mm bearings.

Oh ya,I had to buy some 3mm circlips and then had to sand one thinner to get it to fit the slot in the motor shaft.

Good luck! Jim
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Last edited by Martini; Jul 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:08 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
It's very new, has about 10 or 15 flights but I don't have a receipt for it. At first i thought to just buy a new motor but from reading various things about this motor it looked like it was common to replace the bearings, but maybe it's not? I looked up the replacement parts and it didn't seem bearings for the motor were listed anywhere.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Thanks Jim, I noticed your post after I posted that. I'm not sure what's missing but most of the bearing came apart. There is only that little ring left.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:10 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Ok went to the lhs, they didnt have any motors in stock but I gave the part number for the bearings which they did have so I got a pack.

The bigger problem is I cannot seem to get that bearing ring out (the one in the picture).
Ive spent over an hour trying, its like it's welded in or something. Anybody been able to take it out here?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:26 PM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
251 Posts
If you have pulled the two halves of the motor apart I think you can use a drill bit or something inserted from the opposite end from the bearing end, and then hammer it out sort of. It could be slightly welded as you said. They do get hot!

Good luck again! Jim
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
Ok went to the lhs, they didnt have any motors in stock but I gave the part number for the bearings which they did have so I got a pack.

The bigger problem is I cannot seem to get that bearing ring out (the one in the picture).
Ive spent over an hour trying, its like it's welded in or something. Anybody been able to take it out here?
I think you are talking the C-clip. I used external C-clip plier, put & hold the plier tips on holes on c-clip ends, open clip by squeeing plier and take c-clip out.

Someon may use small screwdriver, put screwdriver tip on inner clip, use force and pop c-clip away from open end side. But it's not proper way and most of time it fail. By doing so, you may hurt yourself too. I would use external C-clip plier.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:32 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
aluminium main grip

Hi guys,
Im upgrading my main blade grip with the aluminium upgrade. Just to make sure here......each has an arm (one is longer and the other one is shorter ). Which is connects to the shorter linkage and which one to the longer (to the swash) linkage?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:44 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've read through this entire thread (the catfight in the first 10 pages was fun) and am trying to learn as much as I can about this heli. I'm a plane guy who is dabbling in helis. I started with the little Scout, then went 4-channel, then to the 120 SR. Now I'm bored with the SR and am wanting the next step up. Could I go to this from the 120 SR? I've seen where many on here have talked about the MCPx, but I'd like something that I can fly outside the majority of the time. Living in Indiana, I don't get many of those perfectly dead-calm days/evenings where a micro can fly outside. What are your thoughts? Any advice?

I know, Sim, Sim, Sim, Sim. I've played on the sim quite a bit and have flown the MCPx and the Blade 450 3d. Not much trouble with either, but the sim isn't anything like real life IMO. I think "Sim" is the answer people throw out when they don't feel like giving advice. I will admit though, I don't know ANYTHING about setting up helis. I can fly them, but don't know about setting them up. I have no idea how people flip them and fly inverted as far as controls go. From what I can gather, you set up something on dual rates to basically hold your throttle at a certain percentage, therefore freeing up your throttle control to allow it to become your pitch control? Again, total newb as far as setting them up, but they sure are fun to fly. Any info and advice on where to go from here is appreciated. Love how this heli looks and flies (on the sim) though.
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:19 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,562 Posts
Hi Runnikee....

I'm the same as you, a plane flyer who thought he'd have 'another 'go at heli's (1st heli was a disaster..).

I came from a V911 4ch fixed pitch to the Blade 400, had that about a week and picked up the 450 for a great price off ebay. I used the Pheonix sim to practise hovering, which took a few days to get to grips with, totally different than a FP heli. On the sim I can fly it and hover it no prob, real life is different as I struggle to keep a constant height with forward flight, finding I'm reducing throttle as I go, then I lose too much height and get tied up in knots a little. It also seems to keep picking up speed as you do a turn, again it catches me out and I have to stop 'flying' and settle back to a hover before I can try again. It sort of 'gets away from me a bit', if you know what I mean. Getting better with more practise, wind is my enemy as I'm not confident in anything other than a light breeze, the weather has been lousy for months, British summertime my .

Horizon have some good vids on youtube for setting it up, follow those. I used the manual's settings as opposed to downloading them from HH to the TX, I get no probs with headspeed or pitch response as some are when downloading the settings.

Overall I rate it as a heli, but don't have much to compare it to TBH, it does fly and hover nice 'out of the box'. But my definition of 'flying' is a bit loose... I guess a heli club would be good for help, but last time I went to one it seemed a bit 'clicky' and put me off.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:55 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
I guess a heli club would be good for help, but last time I went to one it seemed a bit 'clicky' and put me off.
I hear that. When I first started flying planes, I was told it was essential to join a club to learn about the in's and out's of flying. That was when I had a 3-channel Firebird. I went once, heard everyone there proclaim themselves the greatest ever and basically tell me it was their way or the highway. I was turned off clubs forever after that. So, I asked questions, took my time, crashed a few planes, but now I fly 3D planes and was pretty much self-taught in the field. I pretty much want the heli for something to fly in the yard if I don't have time to travel to fly my planes. I'm looking for something with more capabilities than my SR 120, yet something that's not too much of a step up that I'll never fly it.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:24 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Runnikee; I stay away from clubs. I limit myself to people I meet personally through the hobby. I enjoy it on my own, I don't need to be with a group, and I agree with the whole snooty thing.

Dual rates have nothing to do with presetting the throttle so you can use it as a pitch? Not sure how you arrived at that scenario, but "dual rates" is simply reducing the throw of a control surface. And there's no dual rates for throttle.
Lets say you turn on the dual rates for your elevator, and the dual rate is set at 50%, that means when you pull up on the elevator it is only going to deflect upwards by half as much as it used to. It will also do this the other way too when you push down. You have this option for ailerons and for rudder too. The principle is the same for both helis and planes. The point is to lower the responsiveness so you don't crash. It's important for learning, but most people stop using it when they get comfortable with what they're flying.

As for the sim, and everybody telling you sim sim sim, well, I had that same point of view as you until I got myself one, and I can tell you that yes it's annoying to hear when you don't know, and trying it once here and there is of no benefit, you have to live with it to extract it's full potential, but it really is that valuable a learning tool. People aren't saying "sim" because they "don't feel like giving you advice" lol, in fact it's just the opposite, they are. They wouldn't bother responding at all if they didn't want to be bothered giving advice. I'm trying to help, and i'm saying sim!
You CAN learn without a sim, it's how people used to do it, it is my opinion in fact, that if you don't mind putting in the time rebuilding and buying parts, going without a sim may actually make you even better, but you can learn much much faster with one. You're right, they are not so realistic, but they don't need to be the "Matrix" either. The realism is not their strength. The advantage of the simulator is it builds muscle memory, that's it that's all. When people ask what model on the sim is the closest to their plane or heli, I always say it doesn't matter. Find a plane or heli you like and stick with it. Its not going to help you any if you model match, it's the motions that matter, so when you're flying your brand new 450 and it suddenly turns nose in and starts coming at you and your friends' heads and the adrenaline rushes through your body taking your ability to think your way out with it, your thumbs are there to bail you out, thanks to your sim time.

As for what to get, don't get the 450 right away. Get either an mcpx or the new 130X, I have both and they're both great, but you'll outgrow the mcpx pretty fast and need more power to pull off maneuvers. I have crashed my mcpx about 1000 times, and it's cost me probably 300 bucks plus, in repairs. Out of 10 crashes I usually break something once, and it's usually a link. I crashed my 450 once, in a soft soy field where the plants where neck high, and I had hit the throttle cut, and the 450 was literally caught in mid air by a net. It never hit the ground. No impact, yet somehow, I bent a feathering shaft, I damaged the blades, I cracked the canopy, and on my next flight after about 50 dollars in repairs, a bearing gave out and the motor went bad, due to the stress of the earlier "crash", and it never hit the ground. Total about 80 bucks and I'm still waiting on a backordered motor. Just something to think of.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:26 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
I hear that. When I first started flying planes, I was told it was essential to join a club to learn about the in's and out's of flying. That was when I had a 3-channel Firebird. I went once, heard everyone there proclaim themselves the greatest ever and basically tell me it was their way or the highway. I was turned off clubs forever after that. So, I asked questions, took my time, crashed a few planes, but now I fly 3D planes and was pretty much self-taught in the field. I pretty much want the heli for something to fly in the yard if I don't have time to travel to fly my planes. I'm looking for something with more capabilities than my SR 120, yet something that's not too much of a step up that I'll never fly it.
Pretty much the same reason I got a heli, I sometimes struggle to go flying for even 1/2 hr at the park. The heli is a 'go outside and fly in the street' tool. I was looking at the Eflite micro's but they seem to gobble up air, slow stick is definately not me, nor is a slow depron model.

I didn't consider the smaller E flite heli's becuase the 450 came for the price of a new MCPX BnF. But I felt as tho the smaller heli's would limit me with the wind, I thought the bigger 450 would be better if it was a bit breezy. I have done some hovering in the street when it was windy, which wasn't easy, but I don't think the smaller stuff would have coped IMO, but the little ones do bounce well.

I'm happy with my choice, it takes a 3s 2200 which I have plenty of, even the lipo's that I've had a couple of years and are starting to fade give me a good 7-8 mins of hovering with a bit of forward flight time in there. And to me, the 450 feels like a proper heli.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:26 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Kawi: I actually do have a Sim, have had it for a couple of years and I'm on it quite a bit when the weather doesn't allow me to fly. It's a good video game time-killer, but is nothing like flying the real thing. I've flown the MCPX and the 450 3D on there over and over (probably have several hours on each) and don't have all too much trouble with either. The Phoenix Sim seems to keep me pretty well updated, although I don't think the 130 is on there yet.

I appreciate what you said about the dual rates. I know exactly what you're talking about, but don't have my terminology correct. You gave me a lot of what I was wrong about, but not really any idea how you set the throttle to keep steady and what switch you throw to do that? I'm going to be putting whatever I get on my Dx6i.

So, knowing what I told you, you say do not go with the 450 3D?

Feefo: I'm like you, I have tons of 3S 2200s laying around and that is a big reason why I was hoping to go for the 450 3D... So are you having quite a bit of trouble flying this compared to your other helis?
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
It is called "idle up" there should be a switch on your TX that will allow normal flight vs idle up.
The idle up setting you would change the throttle curve to 100,90,80,90,100. Normal flight would be something like 0,40,75,80,100.
you also change your pitch curve to 0,25,50,75,100. Normal flight pitch curve might be 35,45,50,75,100. this allows for a easier take off and landing as your normal setting would only have -3° to +11°pitch. For idle up it would be -11° to + 11°. This is what allows inverted flight.

I have never had a heli and started on a 450. Hovering after 2 Weeks on the simulator. Its hard, not impossible, if you are patient
minbari is offline Find More Posts by minbari
Last edited by minbari; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:20 PM.