HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined May 2000
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
can't be worse than the training gear though, drag-wise.
I wouldn't use it forever, just until I'm ready to put the original gear back on. It looks more like an intermediate step, like between the training gear and regular. I still need the training gear. Many times I've "just" saved it from a nasty crash, and it lands crooked and sideways, bounces and slides sideways. Without the gear it would definitely have tipped over and struck the blades. I don't think that bigger gear would have stopped it either.
The Blade 450 3D is probably not the best heli for training on for the basics, it hovers nice, but it's quick and responsive, so I see your need for the training gear. The little 120 Blade is a nice machine for learning basics with, a little small but gets the job done. In the old days everyone trained on the .30 size nitros, they're stable, easy to see and can be slowed quite a bit.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I don't train on it, I train on the mcpx because i can fly it pretty well, but I havent done any upside stuff, just the odd loop, that's it. Every time I go inverted I kinda mess it up and I barely get it back right side up in time. So I'm just going to let it come to me with time. When I do fly the 450 I'm doing like 1/10 the stuff I do with the mcpx, I just don't feel in the comfort zone to push it yet.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,580 Posts
Quote:
That doesn't look so bad actually. The longer you stare at it the more it starts to fit. Much difference in the weight?
I haven't had training gear so I can't comment on the difference. It's definitely heavier than the stock skids but not enough to write home about.

What a little more weight down low will do for the beginner is create a slight pendulum effect which will give a bit more stability. It will most likely hurt inverted and 3d flying but I am not at that level yet IRL. (only on the simulator) When the time comes for 3d I will put the stock skids back on. They really aren't that heavy and I am very happy with the setup.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined May 2000
2,040 Posts
Quote:
I don't train on it, I train on the mcpx because i can fly it pretty well, but I havent done any upside stuff, just the odd loop, that's it. Every time I go inverted I kinda mess it up and I barely get it back right side up in time. So I'm just going to let it come to me with time. When I do fly the 450 I'm doing like 1/10 the stuff I do with the mcpx, I just don't feel in the comfort zone to push it yet.
I could never get the tail to hold on the Mcpx inverted ,or get good flips out of it, once you get how much more powerfull the 450 is out of you head, and put it through manuevers I thought it was easier, just keep it up kinda high and flip,rol or maintain a few second inverted, it punches through moves better than that little Mcpx did (or at least I thought). Tail in flips are really easy with the 450. That little Mcpx was always darting away fom me, I don't really miss it
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,580 Posts
Here's another angle

jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S View Post
I could never get the tail to hold on the Mcpx inverted ,or get good flips out of it, once you get how much more powerfull the 450 is out of you head, and put it through manuevers I thought it was easier, just keep it up kinda high and flip,rol or maintain a few second inverted, it punches through moves better than that little Mcpx did (or at least I thought). Tail in flips are really easy with the 450. That little Mcpx was always darting away fom me, I don't really miss it
I'm not even at that level where I can do the maneuvers out of muscle memory, I'm pretty much at that level with normal flight, it's hard for me to lose orientation and crash no matter how much I mess it up, but 3d I never even tried, not even on the sim. Just a loop here and there. I'm just introducing myself to it now, once I can follow through with the maneuver without thinking of what I'm doing with my thumbs I'll try it on the 450. It's not that I'm scared of it as much as I really am more scared of the ordeal of repairing a large heli. I've heard how much more damage they can suffer from minor falls. I already have rebuilt the mcpx 3 or 4 times over, I don't need any more of that on a bigger scale.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined May 2000
2,040 Posts
Quote:
I'm not even at that level where I can do the maneuvers out of muscle memory, I'm pretty much at that level with normal flight, it's hard for me to lose orientation and crash no matter how much I mess it up, but 3d I never even tried, not even on the sim. Just a loop here and there. I'm just introducing myself to it now, once I can follow through with the maneuver without thinking of what I'm doing with my thumbs I'll try it on the 450. It's not that I'm scared of it as much as I really am more scared of the ordeal of repairing a large heli. I've heard how much more damage they can suffer from minor falls. I already have rebuilt the mcpx 3 or 4 times over, I don't need any more of that on a bigger scale.
I hear ya, I was really rusty when I got back at it earlier this year, I do 1/2 hr of sim before I hit the field, and try something new. Probably best stick to foward flight circuts or fast figure 8's until you're more comfortable. Repairability and parts are a big factor in heli's, the Blade looks pretty simple. When the Trex's first came out I could put one back together in a couple of hours (kinda like tearing a gun down). Once you know the machine well, and have done some re-builds, the fear of crashes is a little less, and you start wringing them out. This looks like a pretty inexpensive machine to repair if necessary.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Well I tried a bit of 3d on the mcpx, I think you're right, or I'm doing it wrong, but I was practicing rolls to the left on the sim, I have been executing them perfectly, I can also hover alright inverted. I get out on the mcpx and as soon as I give reverse thrust while it's turning upside down, the whole thing starts spinning around as if I lost tail power or something, then it starts spazzing out in the air and tumbles down. I tried it over and over and it just kept blowing out. I think I'm going to stick to forward flight for now lol.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined May 2000
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Well I tried a bit of 3d on the mcpx, I think you're right, or I'm doing it wrong, but I was practicing rolls to the left on the sim, I have been executing them perfectly, I can also hover alright inverted. I get out on the mcpx and as soon as I give reverse thrust while it's turning upside down, the whole thing starts spinning around as if I lost tail power or something, then it starts spazzing out in the air and tumbles down. I tried it over and over and it just kept blowing out. I think I'm going to stick to forward flight for now lol.
If you read in the Mcpx posts I think if you hit collective too abruptly the esc takes power away from the tail motor, I could never master that, the Blade 3D doesn't do that, stays put inverted pretty good
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Yeah Im subscribed in that thread too, but I missed a lot of it, it's like a million pages lol. I didn't know that. Maybe I'll bring the negative pitch down to like 60% or something. Right now it's kinda rattled me a bit too much to even think about trying it on the 450.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:53 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Yeah Im subscribed in that thread too, but I missed a lot of it, it's like a million pages lol. I didn't know that. Maybe I'll bring the negative pitch down to like 60% or something. Right now it's kinda rattled me a bit too much to even think about trying it on the 450.
essentially the tail and the rotor are both demanding power from the same circuitry. over amp the motor and the tail cannot keep up. toning down your throws helps. Also not using 100% power on the throttle curve. mine does inverted just fine. one thing to keep in mind if it is failing on inverted is that the linkages may need to be adjusted to give you more negative pitch. mine did, now i can darn near mow the lawn upside down with it. It also makes switching to the 450 feel like going from a sports car to a Kenworth.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:42 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Ill try that, i had them turned the other way when I first got it due to the stock negative pitch it had. But isn't it the same stress to the motor whether I get more negative pitch via linkage turning or greater pitch percentage?

Also, whats a healthy amount of positive pitch on the 450? I have the spektrum settings for intermediate and its pretty weak, i often cant catch a fast decent in time and it leads to quite a bounce.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Ill try that, i had them turned the other way when I first got it due to the stock negative pitch it had. But isn't it the same stress to the motor whether I get more negative pitch via linkage turning or greater pitch percentage?

Also, whats a healthy amount of positive pitch on the 450? I have the spektrum settings for intermediate and its pretty weak, i often cant catch a fast decent in time and it leads to quite a bounce.
I went into swashplate and changed the setting from -56 to -90. She'll be a hot bird then.

I'm not sure why changing the links helps inverted, but for some reason it does. in theory with a symmetrical blade inverted should only take as much power as normal flight right?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Maybe it's because when the blades change to negative pitch, maybe the counter rotation of the chopper changes direction and the rear tail is designed to push more to one side than the other? I'm just pulling that outa my @$&, i could be way off, but wouldn't the force of the rotation change the other way in inverted flight?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:19 PM
Augernaut
Joined Jan 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it's because when the blades change to negative pitch, maybe the counter rotation of the chopper changes direction and the rear tail is designed to push more to one side than the other? I'm just pulling that outa my @$&, i could be way off, but wouldn't the force of the rotation change the other way in inverted flight?
Im thinking as long as blade direction doesnt change it will still torque in the same direction. Maybe it has something to do with the Gyros.