HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by st bear View Post
i bought one, my first blade 450 3 d. later bought exi 500 and blade 400. i have a real flight sim for about a year now. the 450 is hard to fly it does not hoover stable. i up graded everything everything and it still bounces around in a hover. my other helis go up and sit there, stable. after lots of thought the only difference i see and the other two helis have is adjustable linage from the fly-bar cage to the wash out. maybe that fine adjustment will help it to hover. i think in parts ive bought this heli twice... at last.
Wow, not stable? mine out of the box was like a rock, the tail blows out when you're really hard on it, but compared to my other 450 align's I thought it was better. You may have something off in the electronics or settings. Upgrading to aluminum does not always guarantee better performance. You may have to smoothe out your pitch and throttle curves? This is kinda a hot rod of a heli, so on high rates it's pretty sporty.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 11:55 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I was flying around tonight and I noticed that the gyro that sits on the tail (close to the body), its light was solid, and as i would maneuver it, it would blink. Is this normal or is the blinking telling me something? I remember something about it in the manual but it was about it being solid when its ready to fly.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:45 AM
Richmond, NY, UK
Joined Sep 2007
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
I was flying around tonight and I noticed that the gyro that sits on the tail (close to the body), its light was solid, and as i would maneuver it, it would blink. Is this normal or is the blinking telling me something? I remember something about it in the manual but it was about it being solid when its ready to fly.
Kawi, it flashes as you input rudder / tail control. Had me a bit confused too. Been doing quite a bit of tail out hovering in my small space so had not noticed it then came round to tail in and saw it flashing as I got the model lined up for a landing.

st bear, dont forget this model has no electronic stabilisation on it. Nor a 45 degree flybar. It needs input all the time to fly or hover. Thats why I bought it. Im using it as practice to get my orientation in for a Schluter DS-22 Im rebuilding. Just a tail gyro on that so Im hoping the 450 3D will stand me in good stead for when that flies.
Dougie.
dougiel is offline Find More Posts by dougiel
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,430 Posts
hey guys new B450 owner here. I have only flown the msr, and McpX before this bird so its a huge step up in size. I need a little input on my experience so far.

I've done two hover flights. I went and put training gear on it, I'm not sure if that was a good idea. darn things piss me off on landings. Anyway, I DL the intermediate setup on my Dx8, checked that everything was going the right directions and took off into a hover. In the low setting this thing has just enough umph to climb into the air, its not a fast climb, and as the battery is about drained its barely enough to keep in the air. Is this normal on the intermediate setting? The thing hovers like a dream, and the sound is much cooler than my micros. it seems responsive, but even in idle up on intermediate it just seems to not have a lot of pitch, it doesn't take to the heavens like the Mcpx. Should I go ahead and move up to the advanced setup?

Also when should I take these training gear off? The thing lands so smooth and slow, but as soon as the right hand side touches the ground it goes scooting off to the left. she sits a bit cockeyed in the air enough that these goofy little things are irritating me. the heli folks at the hobby store told me they were a must, but they suck and the heli looks stupid.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:40 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
I'm pretty much in the exact same situation as you. I have a new 450 and I just came off the mcpx. You can adjust the pitch a little, I have not, but it is a little weak in the climb and it could use some. I also downloaded the intermediate from spektrum to my dx8.

I also use the landing gear. Do not take them off. I have flown the 450 maybe a couple dozen times, I can't remember how many times they have saved the chopper from a nasty impact. Many times i thought of removing them, and on the next flight im sooo glad i didnt. They really are a huge deal.

I usually practice sending it out about 150 feet in a climb, turning a tight 180, and coming back doing a flyby me and sending it out the other way to do the same thing, like a pedelum. I find especially at these distances the landing gear really helps me to orient myself. Because it forms a square, I can follow the direction and path it is taking. This has also saved me from crashing a few times when I found myself in a hover up high really far away, especially when it started getting dark out. I was able to recover after losing it due to loss of orientation. I know it doesn't look real scale but it's worth it.

On the scooting sideways thing, funny it actually did this to me the first time I tried to spool up. When I cut the power it did this. I was using the generic heli settings on the dx8. I watched this blade video someone here posted on going through the heli and making sure everything is lined up properly before flying, lining up servos etc. I found this helped, I then got the settings from spektrum and it never did this again. Might be worth taking a look at that vid.

Right now I've pretty much stopped flying it. It made me realize how much more I have to learn on the mcpx and how valuable a learning tool it is, being it does everything the 450 does yet can still crash and fly. I enjoy it more now, I also find i am improving more now that I'm more daring with it.
Last edited by Kawi; Jun 08, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:16 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,563 Posts
I took my training gear off once I was happy I could hover and land, so it wasn't on very long TBH. Kawi has a good point re: orintation, I'm sure it would help with FF. I found it actually hovered a little easier without the training gear, but if you're not confident, leave it on. It's so much more satisfying to hover/fly without the training gear tho, for me it was that step forward in the learning curve.
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:01 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Its a personal choice, for me the landing gear isn't even there, I don't even see it. I'm so used to it. I also would put it on all my helis on the sim, so I kinda got used to it. I found on the sim it helped me see the orientation even more, plus it took a harder landing without a restart.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
450 after a couple years off

I got one of these after a couple years off higher performance CP's, so far this has been the best learning tool heli i've had. I put 20% expo on everything, and have the throttle and pitch pretty aggrestive to pull out of tight spots if I get in trouble. It flips and rolls pretty predictable, I;m doing minimal inverted because it's still a little small up high. I notice it's a little squirrely on take off, I just pop it in the air quickly and avoid too much time on the skids. I have about 30 flights on it and I notice between this and the sim, I'm getting better every outing, by the time the 500 comes out I'll be in good shape for that. 450's always seem to be hot, fast little machines almost like 3D planes, but this one is good.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:24 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,430 Posts
training gear are off. That was a waste of $18. Took the bird to the field today. just flew like a pig. Sluggish and unresponsive. Felt huge to be honest. Then I discovered that even in the "advanced" profile from HH the pitch on the swash setting is waay turned down. its at a -63. Bumped her up to -90. Now she's come to life. Also on the normal mode i bumped down the throttle curve and brought the headspeed down. Can't go too low or in this wind it gets a touch of the shakes. Thats another thing. Flew this bird today in 15mph winds gusting to 25. Not the best day. I can't believe how well this thing flies. we have an x taped on the field. even in this high gusty wind I could land it center of the x without even really working at it. This is a crazy good heli. Even did a little inverted (maybe 10 seconds) today. Just a crazy good heli.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
training gear are off. That was a waste of $18. Took the bird to the field today. just flew like a pig. Sluggish and unresponsive. Felt huge to be honest. Then I discovered that even in the "advanced" profile from HH the pitch on the swash setting is waay turned down. its at a -63. Bumped her up to -90. Now she's come to life. Also on the normal mode i bumped down the throttle curve and brought the headspeed down. Can't go too low or in this wind it gets a touch of the shakes. Thats another thing. Flew this bird today in 15mph winds gusting to 25. Not the best day. I can't believe how well this thing flies. we have an x taped on the field. even in this high gusty wind I could land it center of the x without even really working at it. This is a crazy good heli. Even did a little inverted (maybe 10 seconds) today. Just a crazy good heli.
Mine shook a little, I had to tune the gyro until it held and did not wag. If you have the headspeed up there, the little thing doesn't care too much about wind. It is good for a 450, I want the 500 when it comes out, easier to see at altitude where I'm re-learning aerobatics now. When you set the throws,curves and throttle up it comes alive!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:04 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,563 Posts
Are the downloadable TX settings turned down further than the settings in the manual then?

I've used the settings in the manual for the DX7 pitch and throttle, but response on the throttle with the intermediate settings is good with mine. No problem with hovering, just a little above half throttle, full throttle sends it up pretty well. I know using the advance settings will make it climb faster etc, but the intermediate settings work well for me at the moment.

Admittingly I don't 'fly' it that often, time's against me and if not it's the weather, so I do a lot of hovering outside my house and can manage a very small amount of flying due to the space, but the few times I have got out to the field it seemed fine, plenty of power, pitch and control surface movement (to get me out of the knots I get tied up in...).
feefo is online now Find More Posts by feefo
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:08 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
I never got the training gear, instead I use 600 skids.....
Looks and works way better imho

jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
That doesn't look so bad actually. The longer you stare at it the more it starts to fit. Much difference in the weight?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
That doesn't look so bad actually. The longer you stare at it the more it starts to fit. Much difference in the weight?
The weight probably hurts a little, but the drag in the air is got to be unsettling,
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
can't be worse than the training gear though, drag-wise.
I wouldn't use it forever, just until I'm ready to put the original gear back on. It looks more like an intermediate step, like between the training gear and regular. I still need the training gear. Many times I've "just" saved it from a nasty crash, and it lands crooked and sideways, bounces and slides sideways. Without the gear it would definitely have tipped over and struck the blades. I don't think that bigger gear would have stopped it either.