HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:29 AM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
United States, KY, Bardstown
Joined Apr 2010
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
About your clone threads or subject issues, I was not the one bringing up the issue, those that diss HH and other brands did the nasty. This was a thread about the new Blade 450, not about other 450's on the market. Take care.

Don

PS. It must be an example of good quality control when parts are not finished nor included in the first box. Seems it takes a couple of tries just to finish one kit or is that not what I just finished reading? This is not the first time I have read this nor will it be the last. At least HH takes the time to test fly all their RTF products and make sure they are complete.
I have to agree with you Don, Blade makes some excellent products. I have the MSR, 120SR, and B400. Also own Walkera and Esky. The blades have performed the best. Plus my wife is content with the prices of the Blades. Us married not-so-rich guys have to figure in the cost factor! I love getting my stuff at the LHS. I recently bought a HBFP and the quality and research is not there compared to the blade products. The SR was not so successful. I learned that from these forums. But the ones I have are great. Got to let one get out for a while and get field tested by guys like us before forming an opinion.
helibard is offline Find More Posts by helibard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined Dec 2009
183 Posts
I have to say that I love the Blade 400 and have found no shortcomings for what I use it for which is pretty much FFF. I bought mine in December as my first CP heli. Took it out of the box, slapped in the battery, and took off. I was very impressed with how smooth and stable it was, pretty responsive also. I have been flying it since then and love it. I got mine for $350 brand spanking new.

I think people need to realize there are alot of us out here who don't want to build a helicopter but do want to fly one. I like sport flying but have no desire to ever do 3D. Just doesn't appeal to me and I'm be willing to bet that a good number of people out there want a good sport flying helicopter and not a 3D machine.

For me I'm not sure what people are complaining about with the servos and Gyro. My B400 tail holds great and the heli responds very quickly for me so I'm trying to figure out what they should be doing differently.

If you're me, a guy in his mid thirties with three young kids and a beautiful wife who I like spending my time with and you're looking for a CP heli that allows you to run outside and take a couple of flights for 20 min or so and then head back in the house and you don't have the time or desire to build a heli, and your flight style is fast passes with sharp banking turns I can't really think of a better option then the Blade 400. For me it performs at levels beyond what I will do with it very well and is ideal.

Also, I was introduced to RC via a Hobbyzone Super Cub a bit over a year ago. Since then I have had several Planes and the MCX, MSR, and Blade 400 from Horizon and the time I had a problem they immediately took care of it and other then that they always deliver a product that is ready to fly in about an hour and they all fly very well,
From my P-51BL and T-28D to my Blade 400.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on other products, I believe that the Trex is better over all quality and if optioned correctly so are the clones, but at some point you have to ask if you're going to use that extra capability or are even capable if using it. Of course the big question for me .....do you really want to spend your time putting a heli together? For some the answer is yes and I respect and admire that (and greatly appreciate your help by the way in several occasions) and for some of us the answer is no and that's fine too.

I apologize for my rant but when I see people bagging on a perfectly good product unfairly it pisses me off. The Blade 400 was/is an outstanding sport helicopter for those of us who don't want to build one but want one with good performance and good quality control at a reasonable price the Blade 400 is an outstanding choice. I'm more of a plane guy now but I'll always have one heli (currently sold off everything but the B400)and I'm sure that when my B400 needs to be replaced I'll pick up a B450 bind n' fly.

Only question now is how much longer will the supply of B400 parts last.
jedi391 is offline Find More Posts by jedi391
Last edited by jedi391; Mar 21, 2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Fixing my horrible grammar
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
Bournemouth - UK
Joined Feb 2009
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi391 View Post
...Only question now is how much longer will the supply of B400 parts last.
Nice post and a very good question that I think a lot of people are wondering.

I have to say though If B400 parts do dry up then it will be a tough descision whether to go B450 or Align. The idea of going to the LHS with a set of charged batteries on the way to the flying field is attractive though so +1 for the B450
hedgeheli is offline Find More Posts by hedgeheli
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:18 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,388 Posts
It is very doubtful that the parts supply will dry up for quite a while, in fact, count on at least 5 years or more. That is my understanding of the way it is done at HH. How long has the Blade CP been out of production yet I just ordered and got two brand new canopies for mine. I wouldn't worry about stocking up for a while yet and by that time, you will most likely repair it for the last time and retire it. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:26 AM
USA, FL, Windermere
Joined Jul 2010
2 Posts
For what it's worth, I think Blade products are perfect for entry into the hobby. I started with a MCX, went to a mSR, SR then B400. I still fly all but the MCX. I also went to a TREX 500 but can't really fly it in the confines of my yard or local park. I also wanted to try building a heli from scratch and have a CopterX 450. Both the TREX and the CopterX have great quality and they fly incredibly well. So I think bashing clones out of hand is silly. After all the free market is what brought us the Blade 400 and without the competition I suspect this hobby would still be financially unrealistic for most of us.
My Blade 400 was a mixed bag. Getting the Dx6i with it was fantastic and having a 450 size helicopter like the Blade to learn on saves countless dollars in repair costs on bigger helis as learning curves mature. In order to have a realistic price point, the B400 has cheap servos and replacing those teeny plastic gears on every rotor strike is not fun. The stock main hear also strips far more easily than either my TREX or CopterX. So I've upgraded my B400 with a Castle 35, new metal gear servos and a Futaba gyro. Ironically with all the upgrades, I have almost as much in it as I do my Trex 500 and far less than my CopterX. So if the B450 addresses some of these issues with metal geared servos, Delrin main gears and a decent servo, I'm sure is going to be a great deal as an intermediate sized entry helicopter.
Veek is offline Find More Posts by Veek
Last edited by Veek; Mar 23, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:33 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi391 View Post
I have to say that I love the Blade 400 and have found no shortcomings for what I use it for which is pretty much FFF. I bought mine in December as my first CP heli. Took it out of the box, slapped in the battery, and took off. I was very impressed with how smooth and stable it was, pretty responsive also. I have been flying it since then and love it. I got mine for $350 brand spanking new.

I think people need to realize there are alot of us out here who don't want to build a helicopter but do want to fly one. I like sport flying but have no desire to ever do 3D. Just doesn't appeal to me and I'm be willing to bet that a good number of people out there want a good sport flying helicopter and not a 3D machine.

For me I'm not sure what people are complaining about with the servos and Gyro. My B400 tail holds great and the heli responds very quickly for me so I'm trying to figure out what they should be doing differently.

If you're me, a guy in his mid thirties with three young kids and a beautiful wife who I like spending my time with and you're looking for a CP heli that allows you to run outside and take a couple of flights for 20 min or so and then head back in the house and you don't have the time or desire to build a heli, and your flight style is fast passes with sharp banking turns I can't really think of a better option then the Blade 400. For me it performs at levels beyond what I will do with it very well and is ideal.

Also, I was introduced to RC via a Hobbyzone Super Cub a bit over a year ago. Since then I have had several Planes and the MCX, MSR, and Blade 400 from Horizon and the time I had a problem they immediately took care of it and other then that they always deliver a product that is ready to fly in about an hour and they all fly very well,
From my P-51BL and T-28D to my Blade 400.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on other products, I believe that the Trex is better over all quality and if optioned correctly so are the clones, but at some point you have to ask if you're going to use that extra capability or are even capable if using it. Of course the big question for me .....do you really want to spend your time putting a heli together? For some the answer is yes and I respect and admire that (and greatly appreciate your help by the way in several occasions) and for some of us the answer is no and that's fine too.

I apologize for my rant but when I see people bagging on a perfectly good product unfairly it pisses me off. The Blade 400 was/is an outstanding sport helicopter for those of us who don't want to build one but want one with good performance and good quality control at a reasonable price the Blade 400 is an outstanding choice. I'm more of a plane guy now but I'll always have one heli (currently sold off everything but the B400)and I'm sure that when my B400 needs to be replaced I'll pick up a B450 bind n' fly.

Only question now is how much longer will the supply of B400 parts last.
This sums up my opinion perfectly. Married, kids, no time to build a big copter (let alone the big hotliner/glider I have been wanting). The 4503D will be my fist CP copter after I master the 120SR which I have just ordered. It will be years before I can hope to do any 3D so this one will keep my busy for a long time.

If I get to the point where I want to do 3D, HH will have put out enough other BNF CP copters to practice on first. i.e. MCP X if they ever sort the dodgy grips etc...
Mcdyvie is offline Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:23 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,650 Posts
I understand, to a point, the argument of just wanting to buy and fly. My question is, what do you do when you crash? Aren't you going to have to find the time to repair and re-build? As soon as you crash, you now essentially have a kit with some parts broken. Buy replacements for the broken pieces and then you have to re-assemble, and set up everything from scratch. Not much different from assembling your own in the first place.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:52 PM
Suspended Account
las vegas
Joined Jan 2011
149 Posts
just read all these posts. and lol@keyrigger...amazing what a picture perfect minds eye view we all have of this guy...simply amazing......all hail to 450 clones!!!!! parts are parts its all up to the rc pilot to make them fly. and the happiness in wher he or she decides to spend THER own money. gotta love forums and some of the most bizzar opinions.
steelersdean is offline Find More Posts by steelersdean
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:59 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalheli View Post
I understand, to a point, the argument of just wanting to buy and fly. My question is, what do you do when you crash? Aren't you going to have to find the time to repair and re-build? As soon as you crash, you now essentially have a kit with some parts broken. Buy replacements for the broken pieces and then you have to re-assemble, and set up everything from scratch. Not much different from assembling your own in the first place.
The main difference is, you don't spend xx hours building it, flying it for maybe a week, then having to spend another xx hours fixing it. That initial xx hours are precious when you have a wife and kids.

The wife is much more understanding of you spending time to fix something broken, than you spending time building up a new kit. Strange phenomenon. But true in my experience
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersdean View Post
just read all these posts. and lol@keyrigger...amazing what a picture perfect minds eye view we all have of this guy...simply amazing......all hail to 450 clones!!!!! parts are parts its all up to the rc pilot to make them fly. and the happiness in wher he or she decides to spend THER own money. gotta love forums and some of the most bizzar opinions.
Have you actually got something to contribute here or do you only post trash?

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
The main difference is, you don't spend xx hours building it, flying it for maybe a week, then having to spend another xx hours fixing it. That initial xx hours are precious when you have a wife and kids.

The wife is much more understanding of you spending time to fix something broken, than you spending time building up a new kit. Strange phenomenon. But true in my experience
Exactly my experience, could not have articulated it better.....plus with a heli that's already assembled you can see how it's all supposed to go together when you take it apart so it's much easier to get back together. I remember when I tried to build a 450 clone there were several instances when I could not figure out how things were supposed to go together but after another member assembled it for me and I looked at it it seemed obvious that that was how it went together.

That's why during the cold war both us and the Russians loved getting ahold of each others planes so we could take them apart and reverse engineer them.

Also on a purely personal note I prefer the looks of the Blade 400 and 450 over the Trex/clone helis, but I know that's purely a matter of personal taste.
jedi391 is offline Find More Posts by jedi391
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:44 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
I hope she flys well! I can't wait! I am loving my 120SR but already see myself moving on to CP
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:57 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
This sums up my opinion perfectly. Married, kids, no time to build a big copter (let alone the big hotliner/glider I have been wanting). The 4503D will be my fist CP copter after I master the 120SR which I have just ordered. It will be years before I can hope to do any 3D so this one will keep my busy for a long time.

If I get to the point where I want to do 3D, HH will have put out enough other BNF CP copters to practice on first. i.e. MCP X if they ever sort the dodgy grips etc...
Me too. Married, kids, grandkids, etc. Never had a desire to build a heli and can't see the tiny parts anyway. But Blade has provided me hours of fun with the B400, mSR, SR, 120 SR and now the mCP X. Up to now just cruising around the yard or flying field (with the big ones) in FFF, etc and not real interested in stunts until I got the mCP X. It's a blast. New designed grips coming soon. Remember not everyone has issues but the ones that do are sure to be posting. I have two mCP X's and took both out of the box and haven't had a single problem. I will install the new head when I receive it but so far everything has been just fine. Up to now I haven't had to replace a single part on any Blade heli I own (lots of sim hours helps I guess). I will have the Blade 450 one day too. I can't wait to see what they come up with next!

mCP X in the back yard.

Blade mCPx Micro Helicopter BNF Spektrum DX6i Transmitter Backyard Flying (Normal Mode) #13 (6 min 16 sec)
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Apr 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
...it's a dry heat.
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Feb 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
... Up to now I haven't had to replace a single part on any Blade heli I own (lots of sim hours helps I guess).
Wow - well done! I have a box of spares for the 120SR, and a few for the mCPx also. Of couse, I began by flying, crashing and repairing, THEN started using the sim (Heli-X). I've been accused of being impatient... can't see it myself though.
Phoenix Flier is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix Flier
Old Apr 05, 2011, 07:23 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Flier View Post
Wow - well done! I have a box of spares for the 120SR, and a few for the mCPx also. Of couse, I began by flying, crashing and repairing, THEN started using the sim (Heli-X). I've been accused of being impatient... can't see it myself though.
Thanks. The 120 SR is real fun too. You might enjoy this video, flying over the pool at my daughters in LA. No cras..splashing allowed!

Blade 120 SR BNF in LA with a Spektrum DX8 transmitter (4 min 11 sec)
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight