HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined May 2006
17 Posts
alternate tail parts? from another heli?

additionally would anyone know of any parts that I could "cross over" to get the heli back in the air? like a whole tail from another heli, or a tail case that could work?
hotrod508 is offline Find More Posts by hotrod508
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:30 AM
Newb
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Dec 2011
152 Posts
I appreciate the advice on the new Blade 450 3D. Very helpful.

I dig those inexpensive glass blades but they're out of stock
Manzooka is offline Find More Posts by Manzooka
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:20 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
I picked 1 of these up last week which was an ex display model with no rx, lipo or box. Mrs wasn't happy as I'd bought a Blade 400 the week before

I bought a V911 at Xmas which gave me the heli bug again. I'd had a king II about 4 years ago, but as an introduction to RC flying it didn't last very long (3 weeks actually, which included the time it took for 2 seperate orders of replacement parts to come) and so I moved on to fixed wing. But I borrowed a friends Pheonix sim and have been practising daily, only managing a short hover on the 400 due to lousy weather recently.

But weather is calm today so I thought I'd try the 450.
So, out into the street (not the best place I know), and despite panicking once, which ended up with me throttling down too quickly and putting the tail in a grid which broke a tail blade (replaced with the Blade 400's tail blades), I've managed to hover 3 batteries flat without any more 'incidents'.
Only problem I had was hand ache, because I'm gripping the TX like my life depends on it

As a noob I can't really compare this heli to others, but I'm happy as a pig in muck with it. I'm now looking forward to some glass blades and much needed new lipo's coming in the next couple of weeks, and maybe by then I'll be ready for a bit of FF in the park.

Batteries are now on charge and then I'm off for some more hovering practice
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
I would suggest the Gens Ace 2200mah 25C battery from Hobbypartz.com It is on sale right now and is highly rated over on helifreak.com
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-2200-3s1p.html
Quick question about this as someone new to RC. Will any modding be necessary to get these batteries connected to my stock BNF 450 3d? Looks like they have a different plug type. I'm not afraid of modding as I'm pretty used to it in most of my other hobbies, but I have several of these batteries on order and would rather be prepared to make the necessary changes rather than wait for more needed parts to arrive. Thanks much.

I did buy an Eflite 2200mAh 11.1v from my lhs and it shares the same connection type, so I do have one battery on hand atm... but of course that's not enough
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Those batts come with Banana plugs so you'll need to do 1 of 3 things...

Either change the connector on the heli (and stock battery)

Or change the connectors on the new batteries.

Higher battery discharge rates have meant new types of connectors that can handle the loads. Deans connectors were very popular a couple of years ago, then it was the EC3 (which is what's on the Blade/stock battery) and now it seems to be XT60's. You could use some connector leads like these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._1pc_bag_.html
or http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3pcs_bag_.html
but you'll need to check which ends need to be male and/or female.

Or you could make your own.

Half of my batteries have Deans on, the rest have XT60 so I now use the first lead that I gave a link to.

I used to resolder new plugs on, but with the heavier gauge wire that now comes on some of the higher rated C batteries it can be a pain to do and I found the connector leads the easier option. I've never used Banana plugs but have read that they seem ok. If you're sticking to 1 make of battery (Gens) and you have no other models where this might cause a prob, change the heli and stock battery to Banana plugs.
Last edited by feefo; Jan 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
152 Posts
Thanks feefo, I'll pick up some EC3/Banana plug adapters to begin with and see how that works for me. Hopefully my LHS will have some.

Had my first hover today with my 450 3D BNF. Good times

Blade 450 3D BNF First Hover (2 min 37 sec)
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzooka View Post
Quick question about this as someone new to RC. Will any modding be necessary to get these batteries connected to my stock BNF 450 3d? Looks like they have a different plug type. I'm not afraid of modding as I'm pretty used to it in most of my other hobbies, but I have several of these batteries on order and would rather be prepared to make the necessary changes rather than wait for more needed parts to arrive. Thanks much.

I did buy an Eflite 2200mAh 11.1v from my lhs and it shares the same connection type, so I do have one battery on hand atm... but of course that's not enough
If I were you I would switch the connectors on the Gens Ace batteries to EC3. This way you don't need to do anything with the connector on the ESC or your other batteries. I have had nothing but good luck with the EC3 connectors. I have them on all of my airplanes and helicopters(well not the mCP X)

I have found the EC3 connectors to be much easier to solder than the Deans. Something I have learn with soldering the EC3's is as soon as you finish soldering the wire to the bullet connector insert it into the housing right away. When it is still warm it is a lot easier to get in.
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:44 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
51 Posts
Remember that the battery will have a female connector on it. So whatever adapter you choose must have a male EC3 to plug into the female EC3 on the battery.
TexasC is offline Find More Posts by TexasC
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
152 Posts
FuntanaS -

My LHS didn't have any banana to EC3 adapters so I took your advice and changed the connector on my new batteries instead. That was definitely the better choice, but my soldering skills are armature at best so I bought 4 EC3 female connectors and only successful converted 2 of 4 batteries . That'll do for now though so no worries.

If the weather cooperates I'll have a decent amount of time in the flying field tomorrow with my 450 and my MCPX. I love that little bugger by the way! Smashed her hard into a high school stadium score board and made a clang loud enough to make dogs bark a mile away. All I had to do was replace a broken link and she was flying again in minutes. My MCPX will always have a place in the "Jeep Hanger" when I go flying.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:33 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,500 Posts
Soldering's an art which you'll better at the more you do it. I've thrown a lot of Deans away due to bad soldering in the past. If you're struggling to get it right you might find getting a more powerful soldering iron helps as it heats the metal quicker.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Soldering's an art which you'll better at the more you do it. I've thrown a lot of Deans away due to bad soldering in the past. If you're struggling to get it right you might find getting a more powerful soldering iron helps as it heats the metal quicker.
Great advice here. I stopped ruining stuff when I threw away my dinky pencil Radio Shack type soldering iron and finally spent the money on a proper soldering station with adjustable temperature. I crank it up to about 850degF and it heats the metal tabs up nice and quick for a great solder joint before destroying any plastic housings.
dbarhsi is offline Find More Posts by dbarhsi
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Newb
Joined Dec 2011
152 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I thought my soldering from last night was satisfactory despite having to toss several of the EC3 connectors I purchased. This morning I realized that several of my connections were piss poor and fell apart at anything more than a gentle tug.

This video at this link was SOOOO helpful. What a great solution! Using this method I was able to fix my mistakes and finish off three more batteries in 5-10 min with excellent results.

http://www.maydayrc.com/neat-way-to-solder-ec3-plugs
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
that is an awesome tip for soldering Manzooka. Thanks for the link. I haven't had to do this yet as I am just flying a Blade SR, but I hope to get a 450 3D soon and this will help out a lot.
SgtManny is offline Find More Posts by SgtManny
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STZ2004 View Post

P.S. 450 X is already 402$ in preorder at Ampdraw!
I'll probably end up doing this myself. You just can't beat that price with any flybarless heli of this size. You get a very nice controller (beast controller) with it too. I like Amdraw. Just recently ordered 3 micro helis from them. Took a while to get here but well worth it.
rpstar is online now Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
I can definitely vouch for that statement. I stuggled to get good solder connections when I had a cheapo 15 watt soldering iron. I couldn't understand why the covering on my wires would melt but the solder wouldn't. Turns out I was having to hold the iron on the wire/connector too long to heat it and heat was transferred throughout the wire melting the sheathing.
As soon as I got a Weller 40 watt soldering station, it only takes a second or two to tin my wires and solder my connectors. What a difference a good soldering iron makes.
TexasC is offline Find More Posts by TexasC