HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:02 AM
United States, AK, Cordova
Joined Oct 2011
153 Posts
Hey everyone, Just wanted to share my little mishap today.

I was out in a field flying my buddies MCPx and My 450 3D. I went maybe 60 feet up and 100 feet away from me... As this is only my second 3d Flight (all I can do is backflip and kinda hover upside down). I just exited my backflip and knew immediately something was not right. I didnt have any elevation power (sorry I am still learning the lingo). After a pretty freakin hard crash, the damage was a lot!
Broken tail servo
broken tail boom
broken swash guide
broken elevator servo (the forward most one on the heli)
bent main shaft
chewed up main gear
broken landing gear
bent fly bar
and broken blades.

I have spent the evening fixing my heli and seeing how I already had three brand new H3000 servos and all the other parts I had stocked up before I venture back to alaska on friday. I am going to have to level my swash on my own this time, new servos I am guess that all the lengths are going to have to be changed. Is there a distance from the frame the swash should be?

Well everything is repaired
here are some pics of the new stuff.
Didgeridood is offline Find More Posts by Didgeridood
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:15 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Wow that sucks! I haven't lost a servo on a heli yet, but have on planes... You stand a good chance bringing a plane in if you lose an aileron servo, but not the elevator...

As for linkage length....

First make the servo arms perpendicular to the servo body. they should be 90 degree angles or 180 degree depending which servo. your front servo in the pict with the battery looks good. The second photo the servo arm is too high on the left. Bring that down some. MAKE SURE YOUR PITCH IS AT MID STICK WHEN YOU DO THAT!

Next, in your last pict that shows the washout arm, that arm should be level/perpendicular to the main shaft. It looks like it is so you should be there. From there, make sure the pitch of the blades is at 0 (again midstick) and start adjusting linkage lengths as needed. You really shouldn't need to change much except maybe whatever you replace.

Hopefully that helps
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:28 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
had some more bad experience with align products.... I wanted to try some carbon blades so i stopped at the LHS and picked some up. Got some shims and went to balance them. They wont balance! They have tape completely COVERING one and its still WAY off. I thought hmmm I wonder if they didn't put that metal rod in them... So I tried flexing them. One is much more flexible than the other. whats up with that??? Im pretty sure there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with them. Im going to try to return them tomorrow and see what they say.

I attached picts so you can see how far off the balance point is. this is when the light blade has a FULL coating of tape all down the blade? Carbon fibre??? Feels like plastic to me........

Are align "carbons" even carbon fibre?
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
153 Posts
OH cool. Thank you for the good info! I will try that tomorrow on my lunch. Those servos sound really nice by the way .
Do I pull the servo arm off when the TX is at midstick? and place it back on so its 90 degrees (or flat)

Steve.

Is there any other landing gear that's better?
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX View Post
had some more bad experience with align products.... I wanted to try some carbon blades so i stopped at the LHS and picked some up. Got some shims and went to balance them. They wont balance! They have tape completely COVERING one and its still WAY off. I thought hmmm I wonder if they didn't put that metal rod in them... So I tried flexing them. One is much more flexible than the other. whats up with that??? Im pretty sure there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with them. Im going to try to return them tomorrow and see what they say.

I attached picts so you can see how far off the balance point is. this is when the light blade has a FULL coating of tape all down the blade? Carbon fibre??? Feels like plastic to me........

How much were those blades? Thunder Power carbon fiber blades are awesome. $40/set with shims.
kokopelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopelli
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridood View Post
OH cool. Thank you for the good info! I will try that tomorrow on my lunch. Those servos sound really nice by the way .
Do I pull the servo arm off when the TX is at midstick? and place it back on so its 90 degrees (or flat)
Yes, that's what you do. Get it as close to 90 degrees as possible. The spline on the servo will determine if you get it exactly at 90 degrees or not since, very often, you won't be right at 90 degrees and the next notch over is too much. Just get it as close as you can that way and use your sub trim on the TX to fine tune each servo that needs it.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 01:20 AM
Joined Oct 2011
153 Posts
I have to say crashing SUCKS but its been a lot of fun fixing it and learning .

How tight do you want the screws that hold the washout arms? I had them not insane tight but pretty tight and I am thinking it was to tight for the servo and the plastic gears couldnt handle pushing against them.

Thank you all for the help.
Here is a video, I think it will be easier to critique it rather than pictures.
Blade 450 3D main mast (1 min 45 sec)
Old Nov 03, 2011, 01:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
153 Posts
Here are two pictures of the arm moved to as close to 90 degrees as I could get. push rod shortened to keep swash level. all looks good now.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:42 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX View Post
Those are not what you want. I'm surprised they even have them. They are plastic, with carbon reinforcement. They can fly fairly well, for an old, out of date part.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:45 AM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
hey roto rob, ya Im going to try to return them today. We'll see how that goes...

Hey didgeridood, make sure your pitch is 0 at mid stick in idle up mode. Thats the only other head setup thing you should verify. Well, the tracking/balance too but thats not really related to servo/swash setup per se...

Are you running the full 13 degree pitch? I have heard that some people's heads bind with full pitch and full cyclic together. Maybe thats why you had servo issues. I an still using the intermediate pitch settings with the advanced cyclic to avoid that problem. I dont really see the need for 13 degrees pitch either.... For my flying at least...
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridood View Post
Here are two pictures of the arm moved to as close to 90 degrees as I could get. push rod shortened to keep swash level. all looks good now.
Front servo looks fine, but you could do better on the two side servos. Use sub trim to get them perfectly at 90 degrees then adjust the links to level the swashplate. Looks like you'd need a few turns "out" on those rods to lengthen them a bit as the servo arms need to come down some to be at 90 degrees.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:58 AM
Joined Oct 2011
153 Posts
Ok ill check all that and let you know how it goes. Might be on Saturday I am traveling until then.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:22 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
The other side of yesterdays flight...

Blade 450 3D at home (2 min 56 sec)
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:01 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
Returned those Align "carbon" blades... Weighed them while I was there. The heavy blade at 35g and the light blade WITH a full taping of scotch tape the whole way down was 32g. There is no way I could add 3 grams of tape without ruining the flight characteristics... How can they be so far off???

Maybe I'll order some online from somewhere...
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
153 Posts
Here is a video after the adjustments. How do you get the servos to be center while in F mode?

Adjustments with subtrim (1 min 55 sec)