SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydoc View Post
HUH?

I have a few e-flite heli's (mcx, 120 SR, B400) over priced plastic junk????

Also a range of Parkzone birds as well!

So junk? Not at all! I'm very happy, they fly good, you know they'll fly out of the box... BNF is great idea, parts you can get, lots of info on the net, huge customer base world wide..... And great customer service..... What more could you want?

Go try your luck with other brands and see how you go!

B450 is a step forward from the B400, not a big step, but good too see movement !

Chris

It is overpriced junk, but the thing is horizon does have as you stated excellent customer service and does help a lot of people to get into the hobby who otherwise wouldn't have the ability. My blade SR made me very very unhappy, but the blade 400, blade MSR, blade CX2, and blade MCX have all been very fun to fly, and I would have probably have spent just as much money if i tried to learn to fly with another company.

We don't all have uncles who teach us to fly or 1000 hours to read technical manuals just to appreciate we fried something by putting a jumper in the wrong place.
Darker4308 is offline Find More Posts by Darker4308
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:36 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
No, I still laugh at them. Ultimately, they loose as there will be some little tidbit of infomation that cannot be gleened from copying the original, and that results in a product that does not work like the original. Guys like you will always come to their defence, but why? Do you feel happy because you bought a cheap copy and it works? Who do you complain to when it doesn't. The theif who sold it to you in the first place? He got his money from you and that is all he wants from you. The original manufacturer that had their property stolen? Good luck to you as you bought into the garbage they sold.

Don
Well you are entitled to your opinion no matter that it may be warped and biased !

There's no coming to defence ... it's plain simple talk that the clone works. No-one expects a Rolls Royce for Ford money ... but a Ford still works !

Sorry but I really hate this Holier than Thou type of stand ... it's areal world out there and many companys only have themselves to blame when they get copied or cloned.They look to cheapest manufacturing and this usually means a slack Copyright location. R&D ? How much sales do you think it takes to recoup that on an item ? Given the pricing to take that into account - not as long as people think.
Maybe the emphasis should be turned towards the 'original' and it's pricing - and here I have access to various R&D / Marketing mgrs of well known co's and they admit they price to maximum ... maximum they feel market can suffer.

Get real .... their profit margins are large and ongoing as they know brand loyalty will prevail. Talk to any fashion / clothes brand about that !! My wife insists I buy fashion named shoes etc. - and I say here plainly - most are the worst I have ... heels falling of, sides spiltting, seams giving out ...

Yep - I have a Clone 450 that flies well ... keeps me happy.

You buy what you want and be happy !!
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:26 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Do what you want, it's your money to burn but just remember to buy lots of brand name spares for when your clone parts break. If they were such great a deal, why do most owners buy Align parts to replace the defective ones that come in the kits? I don't dream this stuff up, it is posted here every single day, in fact, there are some that provide a list of what brand name parts to purchase when a clone is bought so that it can actually make it off the ground. Some bargins they are. I don't need to be "Holier than Thou" as what I have said is proven time and time again. I won't ever fix a clone nor help sort one out, even here on this forum, as they have broken on me while trying to spin them up while trying to help the owner, and every time the owner blames me but never the product for the breakage. You go ahead and keep them. I'll stick with my Blades and Aligns. Enjoy.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:36 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2010
384 Posts
Quote:
Do what you want, it's your money to burn but just remember to buy lots of brand name spares for when your clone parts break. If they were such great a deal, why do most owners buy Align parts to replace the defective ones that come in the kits? I don't dream this stuff up, it is posted here every single day, in fact, there are some that provide a list of what brand name parts to purchase when a clone is bought so that it can actually make it off the ground. Some bargins they are. I don't need to be "Holier than Thou" as what I have said is proven time and time again. I won't ever fix a clone nor help sort one out, even here on this forum, as they have broken on me while trying to spin them up while trying to help the owner, and every time the owner blames me but never the product for the breakage. You go ahead and keep them. I'll stick with my Blades and Aligns. Enjoy.

Don
You also read of B400 servos failing, gyros failing, ESCs burning, Blade SR main motors smoking, ESCs catching fire, Blade mCX/ mSR 5 in 1 boards failing, etc. I read this everyday. Not making this up and even had some of things happen to me. It really makes me put a lot of faith in Blade when I read this every day. Also I read everyday of Align DS410s failing, 35 amp ESCs burning up, Trex 250 ESCs failing and frying electronics, GP780s wagging, Trex 700s exploding etc. Really makes me want to buy an Align. And who am I supposed to complain to when these parts fail?
SYMAWD is offline Find More Posts by SYMAWD
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:06 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Align and HH. Happens every day but at least there is someone to take it up with. I've had defective parts replaced by HH that were from Blade and Align heli's. Nothing is perfect but I have not had to replace a part on an Align or Blade heli just to fly it in the first place, either out of the box or out of the kit. A great deal of the broken parts are as a result of unreported crash damage or operator error because of the embarrassment it causes. Did the stripped gear cause the crash or happen as a result of it? Did the ESC fry because it was faulty or come about because of a wire being connected wrong? Did the RX fry because it was not tested or because of the battery being connected in reverse? If you don't like what I post, don't read it.

Don
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:10 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Sorry to the OP that this thread has gotten derailed.

Don
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
Flying is Fun.Even if U Crash!
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
438 Posts
Head speed / pitch question....

Guys, question....

What's your thoughts on the following?

Higher head speed and lower pitch curve?

Or

Lower head speed and higher pitch curve?

On my B400 I've tried alsorts of setting , I found higher head speed and lower pitch curve helped to keep her steady, but battery life suffered... Low head speed and higher pitch curve made her harder to fly, but battery life much improved.....

So in the end I went for a mid range head speed and pitch curve.... Or have i got this all f....d up?

What's the golden rule here? (if there is one)

Any thoughts would of great to me, thanks guys...

Thanks chris
Claydoc is offline Find More Posts by Claydoc
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:14 PM
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
438 Posts
Another question...

Buy the B450 or upgrade the servos /gyro on my B400?

I'm still running stock B400...

Chris
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:38 PM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
Let me put my 2 cents in. I have a blueray 450PE, I have crashed a good 4-5 times already and the heli is probably 50% align parts now because that is what my LHS carries. So if im going to be crashing and replacing parts with align parts why would it matter if I did'nt start out with a Align heli??? from my experience the electronics is what makes a heli good, not so much the frame. they are all roughly the same anyway...
RC_Marine is offline Find More Posts by RC_Marine
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:09 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
I tried an increased headspeed via the 440 motor and the 9 toothed pinion and also tried the speed-up tail drive. I am back with the stock motor, the 10 tooth pinion, and the standard tail drive. I prefered the stock setup there. Where I got the best bang for the buck was when I changed the blades to Align wood main blades and Align 450 Pro tail blades. There are a number of changes between the two models but I think it is too early to see if the changes make it worth getting the new heli. It's possible to change the servos and gyro for less than buying the new 450. I changed my servos to the JR 285 on the collective and have an Align DS450 and GP780 gyro to put on the tail but the G110 gyro and a JR 285 are on it at the moment. Take care.

Don
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:21 AM
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
438 Posts
Quote:
I tried an increased headspeed via the 440 motor and the 9 toothed pinion and also tried the speed-up tail drive. I am back with the stock motor, the 10 tooth pinion, and the standard tail drive. I prefered the stock setup there. Where I got the best bang for the buck was when I changed the blades to Align wood main blades and Align 450 Pro tail blades. There are a number of changes between the two models but I think it is too early to see if the changes make it worth getting the new heli. It's possible to change the servos and gyro for less than buying the new 450. I changed my servos to the JR 285 on the collective and have an Align DS450 and GP780 gyro to put on the tail but the G110 gyro and a JR 285 are on it at the moment. Take care.

Don
Hey Don! ... Thanks for your input mate.... Wait and see hey?

Mate if you where going go bigger than the B400 and just wanted a non crazy 3D flier? Just a stable pattern / circuit heli..... Oh electric only too.. No gassers for me thanks.... What would you go for, name brand machines only please

Regs Chris
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:35 AM View Post
rangamatchstic
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:29 AM
Bournemouth - UK
Joined Feb 2009
204 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the new servos and gyro work out. I would instantly add a UBEC if I bought one.

To me the only issue with the B400 was the servos and gyro. Once they where replaced 100% happy all day long, back to back flying (4 at most) of batteries.

I've always thought the tail could be improved but apart from the hardened tail shaft upgrade (and backing off the tail case screws by 1/2 turn) i've done nothing about it for the last 200 flights. It seems to me on the 450 they have taken some steps to improving the tail.

What I really like about the heli is the mad idea that you could buy it in the shop, plug the field charger into your cars ciggy lighter and charge it on the way to the field. Get it out the box quick pre-flight inspection and off you go.
hedgeheli is offline Find More Posts by hedgeheli
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:57 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydoc View Post
Hey Don! ... Thanks for your input mate.... Wait and see hey?

Mate if you where going go bigger than the B400 and just wanted a non crazy 3D flier? Just a stable pattern / circuit heli..... Oh electric only too.. No gassers for me thanks.... What would you go for, name brand machines only please

Regs Chris
Chris:

There are a couple of choices you could look at. One is the Thunder Tiger Mini Titan (lots of recommendations for that one) and if you are looking to keep with parts you can get at the LHS, the T-Rex 450 Sport (for its belt driven tail). There are those that would recommend the Furion 450 and it does seem to have some very durable aspects to its contruction, but it is akin to purchasing a Ferrari compared to a Corvette (or Mustang). If you purchase a kit rather than a fully equipped combo, you can look at electronics from Castle Creations, JR, HiTec, Spartan, and Futaba (lots of others to look at here) to complete the heli.

I make purchases that are based on quality plus what I can purchase locally as I don't do internet transactions. I have fourteen helicopters, the largest of which is a T-Rex 450 Pro so I can understand a desire to keep the size of the helicopter to a given level. My Blade 400 has had a number of upgrades to the tail, ESC, servos, and gyro, yet it flew very well as a stock unit. One day, it will be the mechanics of a Hughes 300C that I have waiting to be built, with a four blade head that is setup and read for installation. There are a number of options that you could look into that would get you the most out of your 400 and not break the bank. When the G110 is properly setup and tuned to the individual heli, it does a very good job. The servos that come with the 400 do have some slop in the gear pack, but it is not going to make it impossible to fly. There are a number of videos of good pilots taking the 400 in stock form and doing every trick in the book. I am sure that there would be a bit more precision with better servos and gyro, but when push comes to shove, it is more than capable of full out 3D.

Remember that the setup of the transmitter is going to have a bigger impact on how your 400 flys than anything else you can put on it. The settings from the factory are a bit too advanced for first time 450 class flyers and it can lead to some very sorry faces when it hits the ground. Numerous posts have been made in the 400 threads (the big ones) that will give you a variety of settings that can be tuned to your liking. Take care.

Don
Old Feb 15, 2011, 04:41 AM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
for just pattern flying hk450, doesnt need to be trex (to exspensive, about 650 fully set up for a 450) and the hk450 works perfectly, just put it together and set it up, it flys well, and parts are about a quarter of the align prices sometimes less.
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic