SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
It happens on my 450 every time. I have renewed the main gear several times and the "black dust" always appears. I think it is normal wear and tear on the gears. Not sure if the black comes from the pinion, the main or both.
BD
The main gear is white and the pinion is brass. Black dust shouldn't be coming from that. I'm wondering if it isn't some factory lube inside the motor/bearings getting flung out at speed. I do lube the bearings sparingly with Tri-Flow, but it's been doing it since day 1.
mhunter is offline Find More Posts by mhunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Oct 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
Then, please, tell us WHY Blade ships the B450 with a 30C battery. They scrimp on just about everything. Why not include a less expensive 20C battery?
Correct me if I'm wrong. But i dont even think horizon hobby sells a 2200mah 20c battery. I know they sell a 2100 20c. But it realy comes down to Fan loyalty. I have been in sales my whole life. Trust me on this one. The whole pitch behind the blade 450 is directed at people just breaking into c.p flight. They want to sell you ther product and all the extra parts and battery's you will use in the future. Ther 30c battery's sell for close to $45. Nothing more than they would love is for customers to come back and buy those battery's And at the same time have you believe it must be ther line of product to keep your flights successful. Its a numbers game. They cant get everyone to shop ther store. But they will sales pitch till ther blue in the face that there product is best and a nessesary..Not looking for a squabble, Just giving my opinion. But just know you realy can do mild 3-d just fine with a 20c battery No matter who makes it. With in reason.
gemini3 is offline Find More Posts by gemini3
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini3 View Post
The whole pitch behind the blade 450 is directed at people just breaking into c.p flight.
Yeah, that's why they named it the Blade 450 3D.

Believe me, this bird rock and rolls just fine in that aspect. Maybe you'll get there one day and see for yourself.

Horizon does sell a 2200mAh 3S 30C battery. And it's even an E-Flite battery, which is their own "flavor". But I'll take the Hyperion 35C battery for the same price (or less) over that piece of poo. My LHS sells the Hyperion for $42/ea.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...D=EFLB22003S30
Last edited by mhunter; Oct 12, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:27 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
Yeah, that's why they named it the Blade 450 3D.

Believe me, this bird rock and rolls just fine in that aspect. Maybe you'll get there one day and see for yourself.

Horizon does sell a 2200mAh 3S 30C battery. And it's even an E-Flite battery, which is their own "flavor". But I'll take the Hyperion 35C battery for the same price (or less) over that piece of poo. My LHS sells the Hyperion for $42/ea.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...D=EFLB22003S30
OMG. You need to re-read gemini's post. You missed the whole point. The subject at hand is 20c batterys. Like he said it does not look like they even sell a 2200mah 20c battery. Pay attention already. Noobs......sheeeeshhhhh I cant believe im even trying to help this noob understand somthing in the hobby. Such a loss cause.
jenn123 is offline Find More Posts by jenn123
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn123 View Post
OMG. You need to re-read gemini's post. You missed the whole point. The subject at hand is 20c batterys. Like he said it does not look like they even sell a 2200mah 20c battery. Pay attention already. Noobs......sheeeeshhhhh I cant believe im even trying to help this noob understand somthing in the hobby. Such a loss cause.
Who says I'm a noob in the hobby? I started flying glow helis with a Hirobo Shuttle in the early '90s.

And, I didn't miss any point. Horizon puts a 30C battery in the RTF Blade for a REASON. Believe me, if they thought they could get away with a cheaper 20C battery, they'd do it. It's not like that just can't slap their E-Flite label on whatever POS Chinese battery they want, ya know... Heck, they could have put the 2100mAh 20C battery in the RTF, which they DO sell. 100mAh doesn't make hardly a lick of difference in flight time per flight, especially to a "beginner". But, NO...they chose to use a 30C...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:47 PM
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
ROOM RUMBLE!!!!

noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
Arizona USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,030 Posts
mhunter, I would like to add that yes performance with a 30C battery is surely better... I can't speak from heli experience, but my yak-55 could go verticle (slow) on a hyperion 25C 450mah but wouldn't with a 500mah 20C Zippy. you absolutely DO get more power from higher C ratings, but a 450 heli doesn't "need" it to fly. Like I said a few pages ago, a true 20C 2200mah battery has enough discharge to fry your ESC anyway. A 30C 2200mah battery = 66amp discharge. The ESC is 35A??? a 30C is overkill, but yes it will have better performance for someone who knows how to use it.

As for the gear turning black... Is it from the belt wearing? If you are really interested, clean the gear and then run a few packs with and without the tail. It probably doesn't take much belt material to make that gear look black. Just a thought...
helivsFMX is offline Find More Posts by helivsFMX
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helivsFMX View Post
mhunter, I would like to add that yes performance with a 30C battery is surely better...
I know it...you know it...and Horizon/Blade knows it... But, others will continue to sing the praises of weak 20C batteries.

I have several 2100mAh 25C batteries for my T-28 Trojan and I'd try one in the B450 just to see, but I converted the B450 to Deans Ultra connectors out of the box since I was soldering up the Hyperion 35C batteries anyway. I'll get around to converting the T-28 one day because I can't stand the proprietary E-Flite EC3 connectors.

As for the belt wearing, I HOPE it's not wearing like that...and that fast... I thought maybe the black dust was coming from the black plastic tail gear (the vertical one in the rear of the frame). But, there's absolutely no dust on the large T/R drive gear right under the main gear. Weird...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
horizon has the among the worst reputation for their batteries so as far as cheap chineese stuff,, what exactly do you think it is? japanese? try a thunder power.... you will see a difference... they aren't world champions for no reason...
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
horizon has the among the worst reputation for their batteries so as far as cheap chineese stuff,, what exactly do you think it is? japanese? try a thunder power.... you will see a difference... they aren't world champions for no reason...
I like Thunder Powers, too, and use them in my planks. I just seem to have a preference for Hyperions in this heli. Probably because I can get them locally at, for what I feel, a decent price of under $50 out the door of my LHS with tax and a pack of male/female Deans Ultra connectors.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:34 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
never tried hyperions but i hear good stuff about them, might have to order one and try it. as for the 20c 30c battle, i never fly any of my 450's with anything less than 30c but i know guys who sport around and do mild 3d on 20c with no issues.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:36 PM
Suspended Account
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Oct 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
+ 1.....Now ther is a guy who knows his batterys. ...Thunder power rocks.
gemini3 is offline Find More Posts by gemini3
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
but i know guys who sport around and do mild 3d on 20c with no issues.
Do you think the batteries might have a shorter life because of the higher strain (low C rating/running hotter) than higher C rated batteries in that same application?

Also, if one intends to get into really flying the heli, I cannot see the reason for not spending a few extra dollars per battery up front and get good 30+C batteries from the get go...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
it is proven fact that heat= early death , so yes

30c or 35c is all i fly on a 450 between 1800mah which really pop and 2200 for a little more stick time but they weigh more.

edit: my average battery costs 75.00 (except on my budget build currently in progress which i havent bought a battery for yet but it flies like a beast on the TP 1800 30C but it is vibrating apart)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
it is proven fact that heat= early death , so yes

30c or 35c is all i fly on a 450 between 1800mah which really pop and 2200 for a little more stick time but they weigh more.
Yup, that's what I thought... I won't fly 20C batteries in a 450 heli application...EVER...

I find the B450 has plenty of "pop" with 2200mAh batteries. It seems to have a TON of power, but I haven't tried anything with lesser mAh capacity...