HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:58 PM
Build, Fly, Crash. Repeat.
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
I'm using the 4200Kv upgrade motor with the 11T pinion, and Align carbons. I will be getting the aluminum blade grips (and most of the other aluminum upgrades for that matter) as soon as they are available.
nick_onelove is offline Find More Posts by nick_onelove
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:45 PM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,052 Posts
Just got my RTF delivered. Anyone have any tips for this bird? I'm hoping to use my valuehobby 2200 30c batteries. What kind of flight times are you all getting with the stock battery? Thanks for any input
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:52 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
875 Posts
Every now and then I check in on this thread. Was thinking about buying one..All in all are you guys happy with this heli ?? Is it e-flites best yet ?
jenn123 is offline Find More Posts by jenn123
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:14 PM
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
I get about 5 minutes of 3D with the stock battery and the upgrade motor. So probably like 6 or maybe even 7 minutes of hovering with the stock motor.

I would say it is one of E-Flite's best. Very stable with dual-rates yet also extremely 3D capable, especially with the flybar weights removed and the upgrade motor installed. And the price! It just doesn't get any better for such a low price, especially if you already have a Spektrum transmitter.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:50 PM
will fly for food
Joined Mar 2011
1,052 Posts
Thanks Nick,

I saw one fly and had to have one. I have a 2 year old son, so no time for building a Trex any time soon.

The price was good. I needed another tx so I went with the RTF version. $396 delivered to my front door. (in one piece I might add) I love Wholesale Trains.com I might as well have my paycheck direct deposited to them.....
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
Wow, if you're talking US dollars you got a hell of a deal! Congrats, I think you'll enjoy it.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:55 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Where would one find smaller pinions for the Turnigy 2836 motor? The shaft size is 3.18mm, I need a 10 T but not any bigger than a 13 T would help. Thanks

Blade 450 With Turnigy 2836-3200kv motor.wmv (3 min 43 sec)
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Last edited by JIMBAKER; Aug 30, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
I'm not sure, awesome aerial footage though!!!

If you can't get it figured out, keep in mind Eflite also has an upgrade motor available, for only $2 more than a new stock motor. It made a pretty significant difference in mine.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:02 PM
will fly for food
Joined Mar 2011
1,052 Posts
Nice video Jimbaker!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Thanks Guys,

I measured the shaft again on my Turnigy motor to make sure of what I needed and using a drill index I found that I had a drill bit that was ever so close to the right size, #30. I tried to locate a 3.18mm drill bit local, found a local source for metric bits but the closest they had was 3.3mm. Next stop was the LHS to make sure they stocked the pinion gear so in case I ruined mine I would be able to replace it. When I returned home I drilled the pinion out with my # 30 drill bit on the drill press without damaging it and installed it, re-programmed my throttle and pitch curves back to stock and has seen the temps on the motor drop about 20 degrees after an 8 minute flight, I am happier with that.

While I was at the LHS, I asked if they would be interested in trading me the new stock 420 motor that HH is kindly replacing under warranty for the slightly more powerful 440 4400Kv motor, we made a deal, so I will swap it out when I receive the new one form HH and the LHS gets the 440 instock. In the mean time I will get a few more flights in with the Turnigy 2836 motor.

Nick, when you replaced your motor with the 440 did you make any other changes?

Thanks,

jb

FYI: I was inspecting and lubing the tail assemble last night and caught a pin moving out on one of the slider arms, just a heads up, guys and gals.
Last edited by JIMBAKER; Aug 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added FYI
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:24 AM
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
I didn't change a thing, installation couldn't have been simpler; not even any need to re-program the ESC. I do use carbon fiber main and tail blades and I removed the flybar weights, but I had already done all that before I got the motor.

The 440 gives the heli a significant extra bit of pop, yet doesn't decrease flight time much at all.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:47 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Nick,

I am fairly new to Helis, just started in May this year, what effect does removing the fly-bar weights have?

Thanks,
jb
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_onelove View Post
I didn't change a thing, installation couldn't have been simpler; not even any need to re-program the ESC. I do use carbon fiber main and tail blades and I removed the flybar weights, but I had already done all that before I got the motor.

The 440 gives the heli a significant extra bit of pop, yet doesn't decrease flight time much at all.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
Moving the weights closer to the rotor head or removing them completely makes the cyclic response a little more aggressive. It's not something you would want to do as a beginner, they're there in the first place for added stability. It's for fine-tuning 3D performance basically.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:51 PM
will fly for food
Joined Mar 2011
1,052 Posts
3 good flights today. What a nice Heli! Just learning the ropes, flying some circutis. SO much easier to fly than the SR. Night and day. Handles a little wind pretty well also. Good job Horizon Hobby.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:22 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Nick,

I figured that it would be the same as cutting the flybars down on my mSR that went to my son the first of this month. I may or may not play around with moving them just yet.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBAKER View Post
Nick,

I am fairly new to Helis, just started in May this year, what effect does removing the fly-bar weights have?

Thanks,
jb
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_onelove View Post
Moving the weights closer to the rotor head or removing them completely makes the cyclic response a little more aggressive. It's not something you would want to do as a beginner, they're there in the first place for added stability. It's for fine-tuning 3D performance basically.