HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:15 PM
You got somethin' to say!?!
United States, WA, Index
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Well, even if I do crash the 450, I have my trust mCP X to throw around!
theexpertrcpilot is offline Find More Posts by theexpertrcpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2011, 02:28 PM
United States, WA, Index
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Batteries

I really don't feel like paying $44 for 1 battery for the Blade 450 BNF basic. I found one that closely resembles the specs of the "recommended" one by HH. This alternative battery is a turnigy, found here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7635

The both have same C, voltage, discharge and everything, yet the dimensions are different.

Here is the specs of the recommended e-flite one:

104mm x 34mm x 24mm and weighs 173g

Turnigy one:

108mm x 36mm x 26mm and weighs 190g

My question is, will the turnigy one work in place of the e-flite one?
Are the specs close enough?
To all the 450 owners, how much room is under the canopy for a battery that is within mm of each other?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:19 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexpertrcpilot View Post
I really don't feel like paying $44 for 1 battery for the Blade 450 BNF basic. I found one that closely resembles the specs of the "recommended" one by HH. This alternative battery is a turnigy, found here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7635

The both have same C, voltage, discharge and everything, yet the dimensions are different.

Here is the specs of the recommended e-flite one:

104mm x 34mm x 24mm and weighs 173g

Turnigy one:

108mm x 36mm x 26mm and weighs 190g

My question is, will the turnigy one work in place of the e-flite one?
Are the specs close enough?
To all the 450 owners, how much room is under the canopy for a battery that is within mm of each other?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Don't worry! The battery that you've chosen will work just fine! Buying e-flight's batteries at their price is really a madness and suicide.

However, I've got BNF Basic and using these batteies:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934

I have 3 of them, but could have almost four for the price of one from e-flite! They work fine and cheap enough to have more flying time (for the same money). And fit under the canopy quite tight and nice. After LVC cutoff they normally eat 2300-2350 mAh from charger!
STZ2004 is offline Find More Posts by STZ2004
Last edited by STZ2004; Jul 08, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:26 PM
London
Joined Sep 2010
21 Posts
Hi There!
I own a few of the Blade Helis. just love them! reliable and parts are round the corner.
I am looking at buying the blade 450 it looks very good and i'll keep my t-rex sport in the shelve until i sort out the tail wag!!! 780 gyro is playing tricks on me!
One thing i don't like from HH is their batteries...compared to the turnigy, especially the nano-tech they are just rubbish. short balancing leads and after a couple of cycles they don't put in all the charge, just go with the turnigys and you wont regret!

less then half of the price (most of the times) and they perform really well. Just take the weight into consideration and balance your heli prior to fly!

PS-using the blue turnigy for over 1year now and they still perform great and still take 98% of their charge! i am gradually replacing all with the nanos, they perform much better and the charging times are very small.(still don't know about durability)

Have fun!
Peper is offline Find More Posts by Peper
Old Jul 08, 2011, 06:17 PM
United States, WA, Index
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
RE: Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by STZ2004 View Post
Don't worry! The battery that you've chosen will work just fine! Buying e-flight's batteries at their price is really a madness and suicide.

However, I've got BNF Basic and using these batteies:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8934

I have 3 of them, but could have almost four for the price of one from e-flite! They work fine and cheap enough to have more flying time (for the same money). And fit under the canopy quite tight and nice. After LVC cutoff they normally eat 2300-2350 mAh from charger!

That battery is the closest I have seen! But, I did notice that the turnigy one you suggested is 25C and the HH one is 30C. What is the difference? Does this really matter? Tough choice between the one you have selected, and the one I have found!

Oh, BTW, is there alot of space under the canopy? Or do your turnigy batteries push up against the canopy in height, length etc. Just want to see how much room I have to work with out actually getting the helicopter yet.

You may have noticed I like to know everything before I purchase something. Don't want to be sitting there eating the cost like I am my SR.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:47 AM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
That battery is the closest I have seen! But, I did notice that the turnigy one you suggested is 25C and the HH one is 30C. What is the difference? Does this really matter? Tough choice between the one you have selected, and the one I have found!

Oh, BTW, is there alot of space under the canopy? Or do your turnigy batteries push up against the canopy in height, length etc. Just want to see how much room I have to work with out actually getting the helicopter yet.

You may have noticed I like to know everything before I purchase something. Don't want to be sitting there eating the cost like I am my SR.
Well, for smooth flying 25C will just fine. Even 20C will do OK. But for me, I like to have some reserve to be available when electronics need it. The difference between 25C and 30C is power which can be supplied once the heli needs it, so on peak loads 25C will bу able to supply 55A at once while 30C will be to deliver 66A. I am not advances flyer yet, my first heli was mSR in December 2010, then 120SR, mCPx and now 450 3D. So my needs for batteries top performance are pretty limited. You can have 45C rated battery, by if you're not able to use its potential - you're just throwing your money out! Maybe it's better to get more batteries to have more time for practicing.

So, if you need 30C, go for these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9394
I am using them too, and since I am still a newbe my power demands are pretty small, so for my usage conditions there won't be any difference!
As for the space under the canopy, this battery becomes tight in length (binding in nose of the heli). With thickness or width - there's no problems!

P.S. Please also note, that for Blade 450 3D you will need to purchase EC3 female connections to resolder instead of XT-60. You can have them here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...irs%2Fset.html
Last edited by STZ2004; Jul 09, 2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:19 PM
United States, WA, Index
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Thanks!

Quote:
Well, for smooth flying 25C will just fine. Even 20C will do OK. But for me, I like to have some reserve to be available when electronics need it. The difference between 25C and 30C is power which can be supplied once the heli needs it, so on peak loads 25C will bу able to supply 55A at once while 30C will be to deliver 66A. I am not advances flyer yet, my first heli was mSR in December 2010, then 120SR, mCPx and now 450 3D. So my needs for batteries top performance are pretty limited. You can have 45C rated battery, by if you're not able to use its potential - you're just throwing your money out! Maybe it's better to get more batteries to have more time for practicing.

So, if you need 30C, go for these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9394
I am using them too, and since I am still a newbe my power demands are pretty small, so for my usage conditions there won't be any difference!
As for the space under the canopy, this battery becomes tight in length (binding in nose of the heli). With thickness or width - there's no problems!

P.S. Please also note, that for Blade 450 3D you will need to purchase EC3 female connections to resolder instead of XT-60. You can have them here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...irs%2Fset.html

Thanks for the info! It has been very resourceful and I think I am sold. I think I am going to go for 30C because I am really going to take advantage of the 450 3D I am tired of the fact the tail motor on the mCP X can't keep up with some of the moves I throw at it. I enter with one heading and come out with a completely different one with no rudder input at all!

I am hoping the shipping doesn't take to long. From amainhobbies I know I'll be fine but from Hobby King, I have no previous experience. We shall see! Looking forward to more helis from blade! But....align here I come!

Happy Flying!
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
I am tired of the fact the tail motor on the mCP X can't keep up with some of the moves I throw at it. I enter with one heading and come out with a completely different one with no rudder input at all!
I think it's not correct to compare this heli to mCPx! They're built differently! mCPx has a motor on the tail, which will never be as good as belt or shaft driven tail. 450 3D is built the same way as all 450-700 helis - it has collective pitch on the tail. I also have mCPx and when flying it I should be always prepared and beware of tail blow out. 450 3D's tail is rock solid, there is no such problem at all. At least on my skill level.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:46 PM
United States, WA, Index
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STZ2004 View Post
I think it's not correct to compare this heli to mCPx! They're built differently! mCPx has a motor on the tail, which will never be as good as belt or shaft driven tail. 450 3D is built the same way as all 450-700 helis - it has collective pitch on the tail. I also have mCPx and when flying it I should be always prepared and beware of tail blow out. 450 3D's tail is rock solid, there is no such problem at all. At least on my skill level.

It would be SWEET if it had a shaft driven tail, like the novus 125 cp! Your right, the B450 and mCP X are two completely different machines, I was just saying I wanted something with a little more power ya know what I mean? I want to get into bigger stuff and the mCP X was a stepping stone. I love that thing, flippin indoors, but if it goes more that 50 yds. away, you lose it. Honestly though, I have never had a tail blowout, ever. An I have been flying tail motors for over a year now! (Blade SR) Even with large loops where the tail motor would blow, it keeps going! Same with my 120 SR. No tail blowout...knock on wood.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:13 PM
Joined Dec 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepman3ski View Post
Yeah i just saw that, looks like I have to return my blades. Anyone know of other blades which can be used? I thought the trex blades have the metal inserts...
I picked up a set of 400 blades and they do fit. Why will they not work on the 450?

Just missing a brass insert.
rvmustang is offline Find More Posts by rvmustang
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:20 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
They don't recommend them as the bushing helps spread the load better at the root of the blade. As long as the gearing is the same (pretty sure it is) the original blades from the 400 will work but there are better blades out there. Align woodies work well on mine. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:22 PM
Build, Fly, Crash. Repeat.
Joined May 2011
314 Posts
There used to be a big safety warning under the product description on HH's site about not using B400 blades, just don't do it man.

As to the canopy space question; it is very snug, even with the stock battery. However, I poked an extra set of holes farther back in the canopy and now I can fit anything, including a 2500mAh.
nick_onelove is offline Find More Posts by nick_onelove
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:40 AM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmustang View Post
I picked up a set of 400 blades and they do fit. Why will they not work on the 450?

Just missing a brass insert.
We can only hope that you will not be very close to the bird when blades come of during the flight.

And YES it's JUST a brass insert missing!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 03:06 PM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
I broke down and bought a 450 BNF the other day. Coming from a 250 even, this thing is huge. It flew and hovered straight out of the box, had to apply a little trim but solid otherwise. I bought the eflite 2200 battery, only one because I knew it would suck. It holds a solid/long charge but can only charge at 2C on my Venom charger. It does seem better than the other eflite batts I've used though.

Flew outside once (it's been very HOT) and hovered in my basement the other times, it's nice and responsive despite it's size. I've toned down the rate to 50% for now. I dread crashing it so I'm as careful as possible and taking baby steps. It's relatively easy to fly though, I guess that's the size and weight working for it. The first time I flew it outside, someone came over to say "wow cool", RIGHT when I took off. I'm thinking in my head, "please go away I don't wanna crash!". It worked out though, he left He also asked "is that gas powered? it's got alot of power!", heheh. That was only 72% throttle.
sirs69 is offline Find More Posts by sirs69
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Jun 2007
18 Posts
when I crashed the first time I didn't realize that the one of 2 stripped teeth in the mail gear would cause a big problem. I was able to find a huge field to fly at yesterday and after pushing the 450 harder then usual I stripped out half of teeth and well now im waiting for a part. note to self buy some extra parts a head of time :P
Jeepman3ski is offline Find More Posts by Jeepman3ski