SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:23 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb111 View Post
Are you running the stock 30amp esc with the 2650 Lipo's? I have read the stock esc can be an issue. I have 3 new Gens Ace 3S 2650's I plan on using. Any issues with CG?

Thanks..
Yes I am, the Lipos are only 25C discharge rate, I hooked up an ampmeter and was only reading 30-31 amps at WOT. I'm aware of this so I don't fly at WOT. And with the Sky Lipos I'm running, the COG was Dead on with the batt pushed all the way forward in the battery compartment. DEFINITELY make sure you balance the plane before flying. It has made my flights smooth as silk...
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:48 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
I am biased but the custom firmware is worlds apart from anything the dx6i can do. It is in a whole different league in terms of functionality. Whatever you choose I hope it works for you and you enjoy it.
I ended up getting the DX7s and I love it so far.... Thanks for the help!
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:56 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
I ended up getting the DX7s and I love it so far.... Thanks for the help!
Cool I knocked my DX7 off the work bench and its' toast now. Ordered a DX7s also. Arrived in the morning. Major improvement from what I can read and see over DX7. I really don't need all the stuff DX8 has. I like getting the AR8000 with it. Will make more comfortable FPV with the Airfield or Quad. Have not decided which one gets it yet.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Put it in the most expensive one!
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
It'll go in the quad for sure then. LOL
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Yes!!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:36 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
Cool I knocked my DX7 off the work bench and its' toast now. Ordered a DX7s also. Arrived in the morning. Major improvement from what I can read and see over DX7. I really don't need all the stuff DX8 has. I like getting the AR8000 with it. Will make more comfortable FPV with the Airfield or Quad. Have not decided which one gets it yet.
What is cool about it is that we can export/import each other's model definitions. So I can see how another beginner (with a DX7s) may want my SkyTrainer definitions the instructor has set in such as the exponentials (or whatever it is called) to make it less sensitive in the middle, the button programming for less/more servo travel, the warnings, etc'. Where as you experts may like to import someone else's more "advanced" defs. No need to ask anymore, "what did you set your differentials for?" You can import their defs and simply see the whole lot for yourself....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Dec 30, 2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: ESL
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:40 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,545 Posts
Maiden flight is next...

Flew with an instructor on the buddy box on Wed. Over the course of two hours I did so many touch and goes that I lost count. He gave me his blessing (after two lessons) so I am own my on. The Cessna is getting ready to meet its maker . Hopefully tomorrow is the day....

I took many FPV videos but would spare you from them. The Cam's current location in the tail facing straight down is really lousy. There got to be too many vibrations there. The one video the Instructor made while doing aerobatics the whole flight specifically for the video has terrible wavy interference in it. The other videos of my touch and goes have interference as well and they just keep showing: ants on runway, grass from above, runway marking, ants on runway, repeat..... I need to find a different place for it. Maybe with a little of the plane in the view for a better perspective.

Oh, and I got sick of that flimsy battery compartment door (translation: it fell during one of the flights and there was no way I am combing the grounds for it). I started preparing another one (see pic). Will post more pics after I get some hinges, a latch, and white paint...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:59 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
Feel for ya man. Only reason I hesitated buying my airfield for exactly the same worries concerning part replacement. They are always out of stock if they have any. I got mine on a whim cuz I thought it looked cool. I have two quads that I fly a lot and if break well several places to get parts and not limited as to flying area's. Maybe look into getting into those also. Does help pass the time while waiting.
OH trust me i do not lack the knowledge of the Airfield/ FMS parts dilemma; in fact, i have posted many places you can buy parts from these manufacturers on this site.
My problem with NP customer service is; the issue becomes your problem, no matter how many people complain about the same thing.

Why do you think this thread is here? Is it so that we can inform the ones interested in this plane for its looks about its inefficiencies ? Possibly so people may be able to know what they may be buying? What you are buying is a flyable kit at best. The Airfield Sky Trainer (C182) as a RC aircraft is docile and receptive to heavy inputs, loves to float. At altitude mistakes are easy to recover. This plane is hard to stall. As a the beginner pilot I would compare the flight characteristics to the HZ Champ.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:10 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
OH trust me i do not lack the knowledge of the Airfield/ FMS parts dilemma; in fact, i have posted many places you can buy parts from these manufacturers on this site.
My problem with NP customer service is; the issue becomes your problem, no matter how many people complain about the same thing.

Why do you think this thread is here? Is it so that we can inform the ones interested in this plane for its looks about its inefficiencies ? Possibly so people may be able to know what they may be buying? What you are buying is a flyable kit at best. The Airfield Sky Trainer (C182) as a RC aircraft is docile and receptive to heavy inputs, loves to float. At altitude mistakes are easy to recover. This plane is hard to stall. As a the beginner pilot I would compare the flight characteristics to the HZ Champ.
Tell that to the guys at my field that are still having a hard time landing this thing well. When you compare this bird to something like the wild hawk/sky surfer it flies like a brick. It needs 60% throttle to maintain altitude and it will stall if you aren't careful in your turns on approach. And if it does stall you better have altitude because she's dropping a wing and going down fast if you don't.

That said it is my favorite plane to fly and I love doing endless touch and goes with it.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:51 AM
United States, IL, Glenview
Joined Sep 2011
446 Posts
Quote:
Tell that to the guys at my field that are still having a hard time landing this thing well. When you compare this bird to something like the wild hawk/sky surfer it flies like a brick. It needs 60% throttle to maintain altitude and it will stall if you aren't careful in your turns on approach. And if it does stall you better have altitude because she's dropping a wing and going down fast if you don't.

That said it is my favorite plane to fly and I love doing endless touch and goes with it.
+1 for the Airfield Cessna 182 Sky trainer, hands down my favorite plane even though I'm getting bored of it.
RC_Crazy23 is offline Find More Posts by RC_Crazy23
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:53 AM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:

here here!!!
i just want to fly my rotten banana (bumble bee)
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:15 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Try to make the plane lighter.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
What is cool about it is that we can export/import each other's model definitions. So I can see how another beginner (with a DX7s) may want my SkyTrainer definitions the instructor has set in such as the exponentials (or whatever it is called) to make it less sensitive in the middle, the button programming for less/more servo travel, the warnings, etc'. Where as you experts may like to import someone else's more "advanced" defs. No need to ask anymore, "what did you set your differentials for?" You can import their defs and simply see the whole lot for yourself....
Right that's a part I'm looking for. With our quads we can download others configs. to upload into our machines by USB connection. Waiting patiently for post man. LOL
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:44 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Haha seems like I ALWAYS am. Im waiting for a pair of deans and 4 S3114 servos right now!