HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2011, 02:44 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
I've been eyeing this plane for a while now and was quite ready to pull the trigger when I accidentally found the FMS website. Lo and behold, the FMS Cessna had different graphics.

So I called NP yesterday and after being on hold for 10mins, I get a girl on the line. After asking if the Cessna is made by FMS, I hear her trying to find the plane on her computer, frantically typing and mumbling to herself. A good 5mins go by before I prompted her to try to look for Sky Trainer and she finally finds it.

But she has no information other than whats on the website except that she thinks its made by CMP. Or rather, she said her computer says its CMP.

I've left a post on the NP section asking if this is indeed a CMP or FMS plane. Still no answer and I'm leery to try calling them and looking for someone who would know for sure.

Not that it really matters who makes it, but I'm familiar with FMS products and am confortable with their quality.

Just a FYI.

Oh.. also, the Cessna on "Ready2Fly"'s site is GIANT. It has a wingspan of 1820cm

Vincent
Vincent,

Here is what I can share.

If you notice the one at the FMS site does not have see through windows, the blue on says it is 55" but the picture is poor quality and looks to have a black decal over the front windshield.

I would say that the blue one is the one that Nitro is bringing in with modifications to their specs. The Nitro Planes version is branded AirField.

It has clear windows with interior.

The specs of the blue FMS match the Airfield other than the AF having Lights, Flaps.

The Sky Trainer by Airfield has some of the nicest, smoothest foam I have ever seen. Of the foam planes I have built this one is by far the best out of the box in assembly, fit and finish it is really a RTF.

I always look to the future when building a plane for durability.

The only tweak I did to this plane was painting the interior, putting an exhaust pipe on the cowl, and putting fuel hose keepers on the clevises.

The only thing I wish were different would be to have N number.

Neil
NeilDahl51 is offline Find More Posts by NeilDahl51
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 01:26 AM
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined May 2011
50 Posts
Radio/receiver ?

I have a Spektrum DX5e radio that came with Phoenix Flight Simulator.

I also have the Nitro Planes Airfield 2.4Ghz 4Ch 55" Sky Trainer RC Airplane RTF w/ Brushless Motor/ESC/LiPo (Red)

It has a radio and receiver that came with it but I'd like to be able to use my Spektrum DX5e radio, it seems to be much smoother on the sticks. If that makes sense, sorry I'm completely new to the hobby so I don't know all the terminology.

I have upgraded my front nose gear to the dubro 1/2 A steerable nose gear as the original stripped my rudder/nose gear servo on a landing in grass. I replaced the servo and nose gear which was pretty simple, even for a new guy like me.

I see others have replaced the rear landing gears, can someone suggest an alternative? The stock pops off from time to time on harder landings. I tried taping it on, but it looks "rigged".

Has anyone added flaps? If so can you suggest parts needed?

Right now I'm waiting on my prop shaft to come in the mail from nitro planes, I had a "not so smooth landing" and bent the prop shaft, they sell replacements on their site for a few dollars so I bought two.

Thanks.
gigemaggs99 is offline Find More Posts by gigemaggs99
Old May 08, 2011, 01:43 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilDahl51 View Post
Vincent,

Here is what I can share.

If you notice the one at the FMS site does not have see through windows, the blue on says it is 55" but the picture is poor quality and looks to have a black decal over the front windshield.

I would say that the blue one is the one that Nitro is bringing in with modifications to their specs. The Nitro Planes version is branded AirField.

It has clear windows with interior.

The specs of the blue FMS match the Airfield other than the AF having Lights, Flaps.

The Sky Trainer by Airfield has some of the nicest, smoothest foam I have ever seen. Of the foam planes I have built this one is by far the best out of the box in assembly, fit and finish it is really a RTF.

I always look to the future when building a plane for durability.

The only tweak I did to this plane was painting the interior, putting an exhaust pipe on the cowl, and putting fuel hose keepers on the clevises.

The only thing I wish were different would be to have N number.

Neil
Neil,

I don't know which site you went to but the FMS one only shows the red Cessna.

http://fmsmodel.com/EN/ProShow.asp?ID=189

To be fair, it does say this is a new model but I don't know when that page was updated.

Enjoy
Vincent
vhuang168 is online now Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old May 08, 2011, 01:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Neil,

I don't know which site you went to but the FMS one only shows the red Cessna.

http://fmsmodel.com/EN/ProShow.asp?ID=189

To be fair, it does say this is a new model but I don't know when that page was updated.

Enjoy
Vincent
Vincent,

I would agree with you that the one you used in the above message is probably the one that Nitro Planes is selling As Airfield. All the details seem to match.

Look at this site it is supposed to be FMS also???
http://fmshobby.en.alibaba.com/searc...SearchText=182

I think these places have so many variations that it is hard to keep up with.

I think you would be pleased with either.

Neil
Old May 08, 2011, 02:19 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Vincent,

Where would you order a FMS 182?

I cannot find a shop online that has this plane.

I love the red and the N# looks like it may also have tinted windows.

The catch is there are so many versions it's hard to make sure what you are getting

Neil
Old May 08, 2011, 02:24 AM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
I just took a really good look at the plane on both sites and the only difference I see are the decals. Though the weights are different, that may just be a typo or difference in calculating weights (flying weight vs dry weight?)

For all that prefer a different number, I'm sure if you sent a sample of what you want to Callie Graphics, they can make it for you.
Old May 08, 2011, 03:07 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Vincent,

The problem is there are so many that look alike.

I finally found SN Hobbies that has the real deal.

Their prices are not too bad considering that they ship free if order is over $100 in USA and Canada...

http://www.snhobbies.com/product_inf...a8ab0383804fd2

look out and do not by one of the earlier versions the 2 blade prop is a giveaway that it is old. Also the old ones do not have clear windows or interiors and the landing gear is weak, not to mention no flaps, lights, etc.

Good Luck.

Neil
Old May 08, 2011, 03:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Hmm.. that's a good find. I might just have to order it instead of from NP. Though NP will get a plane to me in 3 days with UPS ground. Wonder how long it will take from Canada.
Old May 08, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Hmm.. that's a good find. I might just have to order it instead of from NP. Though NP will get a plane to me in 3 days with UPS ground. Wonder how long it will take from Canada.
Vincent,

Might shoot them an email and check on the shipping.

I have seen some people that have recommended SNHobbies in the RCGroups as I have read the forums. If you want the N# then SN would be the way to go. If you do not mind the European # then Nitro is good. The videos on the SN and Nitro sites are very accurate as to the quality if this airplane.

Post a picture when you get yours and get it ready to fly!

Neil
Old May 08, 2011, 01:18 PM
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined May 2011
50 Posts
New guy with questions. Since this is plane comes with a 4 channel radio/receiver does this mean the 4 channels are:

rudder/wheel
throttle
elevator
ailerons

If I have a DX5e radio and purchase the compatible receiver (still not 100%) sure which one to buy, I'm confused there too...but if it's a 5 channel radio does that mean I can add a 5th function such as Flaps?

As far as the radio/receiver I'm confused, the manual that came with my DX5e said it will work with:

AR6000
AR6001
AR6100E
AR6300
AR6200
AR7000
AR9000
AR7100
AR1700R
AR9100

However, later in the manual it explains how to "BIND" the radio and receiver together, in the example it describes how to bind the AR500 receiver...even though this is not one listed previously...so I'm confused as to which one would be best for this plane, the Nitro Plane C182 Skylane.

Thanks, sorry for the confusing questions...I'm new to all of this.
Old May 08, 2011, 01:27 PM
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined May 2011
50 Posts
Next question....

Where/how do ya'll go about storing your plane? I don't have an extra room in the house for hobbies, it's currently on my dresser but takes up most of the space on top of my dresser.

Can you hang it some how, any suggestions?
Old May 08, 2011, 02:03 PM
Ya gotta land eventually...
United States, NY, Mahopac
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
Next question....

Where/how do ya'll go about storing your plane? I don't have an extra room in the house for hobbies, it's currently on my dresser but takes up most of the space on top of my dresser.

Can you hang it some how, any suggestions?
Do a search for "How do you store it?" and you'll see some cool stuff. I just finished making my hangar last night at 1 a.m.

Welcome to the addic....ehhh..."hobby."

As far as the Rx goes, so long as it is 2.4 they will all bind to a 2.4 Tx.

The Rx you pick will depend on what the model is made of. Certain models create "shadowing" from its components such as Carbon Fiber (CF) or other composites.

Straight balsa/foam birds are supposed to not need the extra Rx antenna, but after 6 months here myself, I still here conflicting reports. Much of that though is due to variables/outside forces that are not always taken into account in the post flight crash de-briefing, such as binding of control surfaces which can cause brown outs, or flying near powerlines or other structures that can cause interference. This plane can fly with a simple park flyer Rx on the merits of not having components that would cause shadowing brownouts...but again, I am sure others (with Muuuuucchhh more experience) would say otherwise...and which I sit back,read, take notes, digest and learn.

Welcome.

David
Davey NY is offline Find More Posts by Davey NY
Old May 08, 2011, 02:15 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
gigemaggs,

Not real sure about which receiver?

Because I am not familiar with the DX5e.

The four channels of the airplane you have listed correct
Throttle
Ailerons
Elevator
Rudder

Now a 5 channel radio should be able to do flaps but I would check the manual for the radio.

If you go with the sky trainer with flaps and lights with a 5 channel you will have to use a Y off one of the channels for the LEDs.

Now the option is to use like a AR600(First check if it will work with your transmitter) that would give extra plug ins for leds, bec etc.

According to all the posts on RC Groups the AR600 will work with the DX5E.

Check out: http://www.toddsmodels.com/

He has the best prices I have found for genuine Spektrum receivers.

What I have been doing is putting a J screw in hanger in the ceiling joist and then use a nylon rope knotted to the correct length to cradle the plane. Makes them look like they are flying. The nylon rope from Uhaul is a nice size and is very soft.

I use a DX8 but have aAR600 in my Sky Trainer and it has performed flawlessly
Old May 08, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
New guy with questions. Since this is plane comes with a 4 channel radio/receiver does this mean the 4 channels are:

rudder/wheel
throttle
elevator
ailerons

If I have a DX5e radio and purchase the compatible receiver (still not 100%) sure which one to buy, I'm confused there too...but if it's a 5 channel radio does that mean I can add a 5th function such as Flaps?

As far as the radio/receiver I'm confused, the manual that came with my DX5e said it will work with:

AR6000
AR6001
AR6100E
AR6300
AR6200
AR7000
AR9000
AR7100
AR1700R
AR9100

However, later in the manual it explains how to "BIND" the radio and receiver together, in the example it describes how to bind the AR500 receiver...even though this is not one listed previously...so I'm confused as to which one would be best for this plane, the Nitro Plane C182 Skylane.

Thanks, sorry for the confusing questions...I'm new to all of this.
If you have a 5 channel tx (eg DX5e) then you can only control 5 channels on your rx regardless of how many channels the rx has. You will need a minimum of a 5 ch tx to have flaps. Spektrum doesn't make a 5ch rx anymore so you'd have to get a 6ch rx.

Binding procedure is the same for all the rxs.
Old May 08, 2011, 02:56 PM
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined May 2011
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilDahl51 View Post
gigemaggs,

Not real sure about which receiver?

Because I am not familiar with the DX5e.

The four channels of the airplane you have listed correct
Throttle
Ailerons
Elevator
Rudder

Now a 5 channel radio should be able to do flaps but I would check the manual for the radio.

If you go with the sky trainer with flaps and lights with a 5 channel you will have to use a Y off one of the channels for the LEDs.

Now the option is to use like a AR600(First check if it will work with your transmitter) that would give extra plug ins for leds, bec etc.

According to all the posts on RC Groups the AR600 will work with the DX5E.

Check out: http://www.toddsmodels.com/

He has the best prices I have found for genuine Spektrum receivers.

What I have been doing is putting a J screw in hanger in the ceiling joist and then use a nylon rope knotted to the correct length to cradle the plane. Makes them look like they are flying. The nylon rope from Uhaul is a nice size and is very soft.

I use a DX8 but have aAR600 in my Sky Trainer and it has performed flawlessly
Thank you gents for the great suggestions.

I currently have the Skytrainer from Nitroplanes, the red one. I got it for Christmas. Was able to take it out to our local RC airfield and had a trainer teach me the basics.

He would take off and land and I would have the controls while she was crusing, did basic closed traffic patterns.

A few weeks later I did my own take off's and landings, 3 to be exact as I have 2 11.1v Lipo 1800mAh batteries and 1 11.1v Lipo 2200mAh battery.

I was able to take off and land without much trouble. One the last landing I came down a little hard on the grass field and stripped the nose gear/rudder servo. I replaced the servo and the nose gear with the upgrade I've read about, using the Dubro 1/2A steerable nose gear.

Then it became SUPER WINDY (Texas) so I've been waiting and waiting....been a few months, well I took her out on Thursday to give it another shot. Well I didn't have it trimmed properly, that's what I'm thinking was the problem as I was the only one at the field so I couldn't get a second opinion, and I think the plane flew me vs me flying her. She took off smooth as can be but started pulling right, I panicked and over correct, she turned too sharp and hit nose first into the ground. Bent the prop shaft and cracked some EPO foam (small crack in the wing).

I went to the RC pres Clubs house and we put her back together in his shop. Fixed 1" crack in wing with Foam Safe Glue and accelerate. New prop shaft is on order from Nitro Planes, hopefully will come next week.

In the mean time I picked up Phoenix Flight Simulator and this is how I came upon this radio the Spektrum DX5e. I'm wanting to bind it to my Nitro Planes Skytrainer.

I've found some AR500 receivers on ebay and online. I assume they should work. The radio just seems a little nicer than the default one that came w/ the RTF plane from Nitro Planes.

Now I'm off to U-haul for some rope and a local Hardware store for a hook.

Quick question, would it be ok to store the plane in my garage? I live in Texas and our garage isn't insulated, it can get quite HOT in there in the summer, can also get humid as the washer/dryer are in the garage. Would this damage the plane in anyway?

Thanks again! This hobby is fun but can be...... I want to get more and more.....
Last edited by gigemaggs99; May 08, 2011 at 03:05 PM.