Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:36 PM
United States, IL, Glenview
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegizmo83 View Post
Yeah see, these ones!! This is right off the Nitroplanes website

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-sk...4g-v3-red.html

Thats the cheap original nose gear I was talking about.
Here's a link that should give you an idea on how to mod the landing gear.
Nitroplanes AirField Sky Trainer Landing Gear Modification (6 min 32 sec)

Another video.
Airfield Sky Trainer 182 Nose Gear Upgrade (7 min 27 sec)

Hope that helps.
RC_Crazy23 is offline Find More Posts by RC_Crazy23
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:50 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I've been reading up on those custom firmwares, it all sounds greek to me as I'm such a noob, but there is a lot of greek going on in those firmwares so I must assume it will all be useful to me in the future!

Good to know about switching it from mode 1 to mode 2!

One question though... Does it come with and EXTRA spring mechanism to make BOTH sticks spring loaded (i.e. both sticks move back to center)? The reason I ask is because I would like to be able to use that same TX in a tank tracked style robot in the future, where the left stick moves the left side tread forward or reverse and the right stick for the right side tread.
No extra spring included. You just swap it from one side to the other. Best way to get an extra spring would be to find a dead radio for parts or find someone that has a dead one that wouldn't mind giving up the lever and spring. There are 2 big threads for that radio. I'll look them up and post them here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035575&referrerid=263839

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162&referrerid=263839
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Last edited by crucial; Oct 30, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:12 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,670 Posts
Is this reccommended for a beginner with a couple hours of flight sim time under their belt?
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Is this reccommended for a beginner with a couple hours of flight sim time under their belt?
It's a good first plane but a buddy box is almost a must. Flies slow and stable but has very little inherent self-correcting abilities.

I'm currently training a new guy and this is the plane he has. Not being a big fan of foamies, I was very impressed with it. Tough little bird.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:48 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Oct 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
It's a good first plane but a buddy box is almost a must. Flies slow and stable but has very little inherent self-correcting abilities.

I'm currently training a new guy and this is the plane he has. Not being a big fan of foamies, I was very impressed with it. Tough little bird.
Tough little bird, I can agree with that! I crashed mine at 3/4 throttle from about 100ft almost nose first onto the pavement (crashed slightly on its belly, but almost nose first) and only busted a few pieces off! Nothing that can't be glued back on, just the wing struts, one side of the rear landing gear, bend the nose gear, bent the prop, and cracked the nose cone. All pretty easy fixes! DID NOT bust or crack the wings, fuselage, tail, rudder, or elevator!
bluegizmo83 is offline Find More Posts by bluegizmo83
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:07 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,670 Posts
Nice!! I have a bunch of flights under my belt do you think i can buddy box a new pilot? I have buddy boxed a super cub before...
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Tough little bird, I can agree with that! I crashed mine at 3/4 throttle from about 100ft almost nose first onto the pavement (crashed slightly on its belly, but almost nose first) and only busted a few pieces off! Nothing that can't be glued back on, just the wing struts, one side of the rear landing gear, bend the nose gear, bent the prop, and cracked the nose cone. All pretty easy fixes! DID NOT bust or crack the wings, fuselage, tail, rudder, or elevator!
Altitude is your friend and will give you more time to react. Here's a great read for beginning pilots.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Oct 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Crazy23 View Post
Altitude is your friend and will give you more time to react. Here's a great read for beginning pilots.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208
Yeah I definitely agree! I should have realized at the time I was too low... What had happened was, I was trying to do my first ever barrel roll, and when the plane was inverted it started to nose dive a little bit and when I went to correct I pushed the wrong way on the stick so instead of leveling out she did a half loop toward the ground! By the time I realized what I did it I figured it was too late to correct so I just kept holding the stick hoping she's pull through that inverted half loop and miss the ground.

I'm not giving up on her yet though... I'm gonna get some more epoxy and put her back together again. I also just ordered a new TX/RX since I fried my stock RX a few days ago. Ordered me a Turnigy 9x V2 that should be here Wenesday! Once I get her all glued back together, new RX installed and wired, TX setup properly, and all my pre-flight checks done, she'll be back in the air! With more altitude this time
Last edited by bluegizmo83; Oct 31, 2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:40 AM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,369 Posts
Ok I guess I will post this here too. It has been a while for me posting in this thread but this might interest some of you. This is my first onboard video ever. It is fairly long and boring but I wanted to leave it untouched. I think it turned out ok just a little too much vibration going on. I shot this using my Airfield Sky Trainer Version 4(it is a red one.)

Onboard Flight over Prescott Valley Arizona #11 HD Keychain Cam (6 min 26 sec)
AZAerobat is online now Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:53 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Okay, okay!
I got two sets of prop adaptor shafts from RC-Castle for $4 ea. -- plus a new motor board since mine has been glued together and shimmed-up more times than Cher Bono.

Nice video, AZAero.
The static from the motor/ESC made me shut the sound down though. Try to see if you get a better sound with the cam secured further out on the wing. I put my velcro about 3-4 inches past the outer strut end.
All I get is wind sound and occasional bird squawks when I hit a seagull or chicken hawk.

Mac
...just j/k about hitting birds...
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:31 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Okay, okay!
I got two sets of prop adaptor shafts from RC-Castle for $4 ea. -- plus a new motor board since mine has been glued together and shimmed-up more times than Cher Bono.

Nice video, AZAero.
The static from the motor/ESC made me shut the sound down though. Try to see if you get a better sound with the cam secured further out on the wing. I put my velcro about 3-4 inches past the outer strut end.
All I get is wind sound and occasional bird squawks when I hit a seagull or chicken hawk.

Mac
...just j/k about hitting birds...
Thanks I will try that. Mine is right where the strut connects to the wing. I figured it was a good place to cut back on the vibrations but clearly it is not. I need to figure a way to get rid of it all together. Maybe I should bolt down the camera with a velcro strap instead of just stick on velcro.
AZAerobat is online now Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I definitely agree! I should have realized at the time I was too low... What had happened was, I was trying to do my first ever barrel roll, and when the plane was inverted it started to nose dive a little bit and when I went to correct I pushed the wrong way on the stick so instead of leveling out she did a half loop toward the ground! By the time I realized what I did it I figured it was too late to correct so I just kept holding the stick hoping she's pull through that inverted half loop and miss the ground.

I'm not giving up on her yet though... I'm gonna get some more epoxy and put her back together again. I also just ordered a new TX/RX since I fried my stock RX a few days ago. Ordered me a Turnigy 9x V2 that should be here Wenesday! Once I get her all glued back together, new RX installed and wired, TX setup properly, and all my pre-flight checks done, she'll be back in the air! With more altitude this time
How did you fry your Rx?? I have my turnigy coming in on Wednesday with a black light kit installed with the er9x flashed. Also got the FrSky Rx and the DIY module coming in by the weekend. Time to head back to the bench to do some mods and testing
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
How did you fry your Rx?? I have my turnigy coming in on Wednesday with a black light kit installed with the er9x flashed. Also got the FrSky Rx and the DIY module coming in by the weekend. Time to head back to the bench to do some mods and testing
LOL well after I crashed the plane, I decided to pull out the RX and play with it on an Arduino board... Had it all working great but then I decided to run everything off the 3s 11.1v Lipo RC battery, and without thinking I connected the RX directly to the 11.1v battery (not through the ESC like it normally is) which of course gave it too much voltage as its suppose to run on 5v...

So I just went ahead and ordered the Turnigy 9x from a guy on Ebay that had them in stock in California! $115 shipped isn't too bad since its not coming from Hong Kong! I'm gonna loot into doing the backlight and custom firmware in the future... Found a site that sells an Add-On board for $40 with backlight and built-in programming ability! Its completely soldierless too.

Any reason your switching to the FrSky Rx and the DIY module?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
LOL well after I crashed the plane, I decided to pull out the RX and play with it on an Arduino board... Had it all working great but then I decided to run everything off the 3s 11.1v Lipo RC battery, and without thinking I connected the RX directly to the 11.1v battery (not through the ESC like it normally is) which of course gave it too much voltage as its suppose to run on 5v...

So I just went ahead and ordered the Turnigy 9x from a guy on Ebay that had them in stock in California! $115 shipped isn't too bad since its not coming from Hong Kong! I'm gonna loot into doing the backlight and custom firmware in the future... Found a site that sells an Add-On board for $40 with backlight and built-in programming ability! Its completely soldierless too.

Any reason your switching to the FrSky Rx and the DIY module?
Well, for one reason and it's a big one, the Turnigy doesn't offer fail safe. DIY module FrSky does. I would think the range is the same as the stock, but what do I know...I'm new to the hobby myself.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Oct 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Well, for one reason and it's a big one, the Turnigy doesn't offer fail safe. DIY module FrSky does. I would think the range is the same as the stock, but what do I know...I'm new to the hobby myself.
Ah ok, very good reason! The failsafe is what takes over when there is a loss of signal, correct? You can set things like servo angles, throttle speed, etc when the failsafe kicks in right?