HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
Foam Fumbler
USA, AZ, Tolleson
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
I took some onboard video yesterday after I got home from work and the flight went great. Landed beautifully in a not so friendly dirt area and decided to taxi it back to myself. The distance between me and the plane was too great to see the boulder in front of me and my prop hit it. SNAP! No more prop.

Anyway, youtube compressed the heck out of my video and its not as clear as it is on my machine and there are a few wavy lines from my cheap $11 Chinese camera, but you'll get the idea.

Airfield Sky Trainer Cessna 182 on-board flight (7 min 15 sec)
Davedough is offline Find More Posts by Davedough
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:24 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
871 Posts
Hey Dave - Great video-
the wavyness (if that's a word) is due to vibration, the cheap Chinese cameras are real susceptable to any vibes. It took me forever to get the mount solid enuf to eliminate the waves. Looks like you might use velcro (on the tail) to mount the camera in different positions on the plane?

-Greedy
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:48 PM
Foam Fumbler
USA, AZ, Tolleson
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
Hey Dave - Great video-
the wavyness (if that's a word) is due to vibration, the cheap Chinese cameras are real susceptable to any vibes. It took me forever to get the mount solid enuf to eliminate the waves. Looks like you might use velcro (on the tail) to mount the camera in different positions on the plane?

-Greedy
Yeah, I figured it had to be a combo of the plane vibration and the wind buffeting thats going over the airfoil... and you're right, I do use velcro. I have 3 vantage points on my plane, but the one in that video is my favorite. Unfortunately it's directly in the middle of the wings and I haven't figured out a quick disconnect way to mount it there and be stable. My fuselage is way too big to wrap anything around and I dont want to use any kind of double sided tape. For $11, I'm not too concerned about it. If I drop the money for a GoPro later down the line, then I might try and fab something up.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
Mine comes in Monday and that vid make me want it even more. I've got several smaller planes so this will be my first big one. Thanks for video, looks fun...

Chris
Cadsbury is offline Find More Posts by Cadsbury
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:05 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Finishing my front landing gear mod tonight, popping three packs on the charger and heading out tomorrow morning woohooo! cant wait.
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:16 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
997 Posts
mine comes tuesday,cant wait
celm is offline Find More Posts by celm
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:16 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
its an awesome flying plane, 12:16am and i have three more lipos to charge. Flying in the morning =] then taxes...ugh
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:58 PM
Watch this!
DC metro area
Joined Nov 2009
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedough View Post
I took some onboard video yesterday after I got home from work and the flight went great. Landed beautifully in a not so friendly dirt area and decided to taxi it back to myself. The distance between me and the plane was too great to see the boulder in front of me and my prop hit it. SNAP! No more prop.

Anyway, youtube compressed the heck out of my video and its not as clear as it is on my machine and there are a few wavy lines from my cheap $11 Chinese camera, but you'll get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkl22uczbZE
The aerial shot + waviness looks like the opening one of the movie houses uses for their movies... like in the beginning of The Matrix...
mpikas is offline Find More Posts by mpikas
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:19 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Second flight out, 1 minute into first pack, im assuming there was a strong wind out in the field that i didn tknow off. Was only an on and off breeze where i was. Took the plane down hard and bent the front rotor end prop adaptor. What a nightmare.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:22 AM
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
UHG!! That sucks!

I put mine through a tree last fall. Bent the prop adapter also. Nitroplanes has that on the parts page. They're pretty quick to get them out to you. I also broke the lift struts and cowl. Those are also on the parts page.

When you say you bent the front rotor, do you mean the motor shaft?

Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:08 AM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
997 Posts
It came,it came!!!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:40 PM
Foam Fumbler
USA, AZ, Tolleson
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celm View Post
It came,it came!!!
Congrats! Best of luck to you on your maiden. Make sure you're ready. If you have any doubts, dont fly. Wait until you're comfortable and enjoy your bird.

Post up pics and such when you maiden her, I'd love to hear how it goes.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:29 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
997 Posts
my buddy who is a RC jet certified is putting it together with me tomorrow,we are changing the stock RX to a spektrum RX. so sunday for its maiden flight he is going to link his dx7 to mine,and i will be in trainer mode.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:42 PM
Foam Fumbler
USA, AZ, Tolleson
Joined Dec 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celm View Post
my buddy who is a RC jet certified is putting it together with me tomorrow,we are changing the stock RX to a spektrum RX. so sunday for its maiden flight he is going to link his dx7 to mine,and i will be in trainer mode.
Awesome stuff. It goes together really easily. The biggest challenge are the servo push rods... it seems they're not the same length for any of the planes out of the box. Mine were way too long and a buddy who got the same plane had some that were almost too short. The servo push rods will have to be adjusted out of the box, there's no way you're gonna fly the way they're configured from China. Its not hard, I did mine visually so as the elevator, rudder and ailerons were level with the respective part of the plane they touch and it was almost completely trimmed right from the get go.

Also, look into changing out that front nose gear. I dont remember if you said that you already were looking into that or not, but I had a couple of soft landings when I had that original gear and it still knocked itself out of whack. I couldn't take off or land on anything but tarmac... I changed to the Dubro 1/2 steerable nose gear and I can take off and land on dirt or trimmed grass.

Anyway, good luck on your first flight.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:49 PM
USA, FL, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
997 Posts
i got the new updated kit,you dont have to cut the back of the fuse to install the horizontal tail wing and they beefed up the landing gear