HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:15 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Why would FMS continue making the older designs? They have a long history of listening to their customers and upgrading their planes with new/better features. With the warbirds they never continued to sell the older versions after releasing new ones.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:21 AM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,476 Posts
yep... but on the other hand why not sell the old molds if there will be someone willing to pay for them...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:26 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Were the early versions ever sold directly under the FMS brand? It looks like such a different plane I wonder sometimes if it was only a Nitroplanes version and was actually a dynam under the airfield name.

Found proof that it was sold under FMS name.

http://www.chargedrc.com.au/vmchk/Ai...ypage.tpl.html
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:39 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
Were the early versions ever sold directly under the FMS brand? It looks like such a different plane I wonder sometimes if it was only a Nitroplanes version and was actually a dynam under the airfield name.

Found proof that it was sold under FMS name.

http://www.chargedrc.com.au/vmchk/Ai...ypage.tpl.html
I'm positive that the "Nitroplanes Airfield 55" Skytrainer 5ch version with lights" that I purchased slightly used (1 flight) was an FMS bird. Reason is that every time I needed spare parts, NP was out, and I would use rc-castle.com from Hong Kong and everything was direct match part numbers and all. Prop adapters, those squishy metal prop shafts, propellers, cowlings, everything. For those interested, rc-castle still sells the proper float set for the FMS 1400 Skytrainer. That being said, I'm willing to bet Nitroplanes is carrying a lot of those ex-FMS planes that maybe lag a version or two behind.

And I'm pretty sure as arnav said, FMS probably sells the molds. Even being manufactured in China, the majority of the expense of these planes is in the molds. The foam beads are relatively cheap, the steam forming machines are expensive but a one-time purchase. The molds, specific to the airplane parts, will run nearly $20,000 to machine in the US, and $8,000 to $10,000 in China. My father just retired from a company manufacturing similar items, although rubber injection molds, which is a very similar process, and the molds were always what drove the price, and a lot of times a LOT more expensive than $20,000 - sometimes over $200,000.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:47 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I had no doubt the 5ch version was an FMS bird.

If they sold the molds the new companies' product haven't made it over here yet.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined May 2012
8,303 Posts
Quote:

If they sold the molds the new companies' product haven't made it over here yet.
Yep. BH still sells the 55" 5ch Skytrainer, and with 'exclusive' contract probably won't see them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,476 Posts
Quote:

That is the thing. I do think they are here already. Take a look at this:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/07a001-sk...d-rtf-24g.html

tell me this is not the older 4CH SkyTrainer?

But what is AeroSky?

My conspiracy theory is that this is NP buying SkyTrainers being made by other companies using the old FMS molds. Someone on RCG confirmed AeroSky doesn't have anything to do with FMS and that FMS is not making that AeroSky SkyTrainer...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:40 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
That does look exactly like the old style plane.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
That's the version i have, but 5 years old...it's a really good flyer and slows up nice for landings....2200 battery is all you new for this one and it has a slightly taller stance than the 5ch version
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:44 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
If anyone needs the factory Tx and Rx, I am willing to sell it for $25 shipped in the lower 48.
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:13 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,476 Posts
Thanks bhoov for selling me your beautiful SkyTrainer. It was nice to meet you. Too bad we didn't get to fly together. Maybe next time I am up in Orlando. Let me know next time you are down in Miami. What a good looking Plane and yours is in a great condition. This is the first time I am seeing the 5CH one in Person. Those lights, the clear windows, and pilot make it fancy and very good looking (compare to my franken 4CH SkyTrainer)! I am looking forward to getting it in air and buddy boxing with my son with it. I will let you all know how he does...

Thanks again!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined May 2012
8,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Thanks bhoov for selling me your beautiful SkyTrainer. It was nice to meet you. Too bad we didn't get to fly together. Maybe next time I am up in Orlando. Let me know next time you are down in Miami. What a good looking Plane and yours is in a great condition. This is the first time I am seeing the 5CH one in Person. Those lights, the clear windows, and pilot make it fancy and very good looking (compare to my franken 4CH SkyTrainer)! I am looking forward to getting it in air and buddy boxing with my son with it. I will let you all know how he does...

Thanks again!
Not a problem at all. Was a pleasure meeting you as well. Just a tip I forgot, i think I always flew pretty nose heavy or there's something off in the mechanical trim. It wants to nose down all the time, so prepare for that while trimming. Happy flying and good luck to your son!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Dec 2012
388 Posts
Any suggestions on how to strengthen the wing to fuse connection. Where ive been screwing the wing down from time to time the plastic washer thingy is digging into the foam on the wing.
apriliamgt is offline Find More Posts by apriliamgt
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,104 Posts
I have that issue too I only 4 flights on mine and the wing halves have never met correctly and my washers are already doing that. I am not impressed compared to other FMS warbirds quality of this plane. I am trying to figure out how to correct this issue as well. I am thinking of two options. One being to add epoxy for strenght around those plastic washers and hope its not too late and it prevent further damage. Or two would be remove those washers and get some cheap foam and balsa...build up a new mount. I dont know yet what I will do..but for only removing the wing 4 times and mine is this bad...most of it due to FMS not lining up the front wing mounts correct..it sucks
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
388 Posts
My front wing mounts are fine. I just need to somehow strengthen the bolt joint. I can see them ripping off during flight soon else
apriliamgt is offline Find More Posts by apriliamgt