SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:25 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
I like the new Avatar Bill..

Thanks Arnav. Should be on my build table this weekend.
wjb111 is offline Find More Posts by wjb111
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:20 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,642 Posts
Looks like a mean machine! What is that awesome looking Plane?
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:47 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
304 Posts
Quote:
Looks like a mean machine! What is that awesome looking Plane?
Picked up an Extreme Flight EXP Edge. It's a 48" balsa
I have never flown a balsa plane yet. Should be Fun.
The Cessna is my trainer for landing. That seems to be my biggest issue.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:39 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,642 Posts
Congrats! You will be just fine....

- Make sure all the control surfaces move in the right direction...

- Keep her nice and high.

- Find out her stall speed high up not on the first landing attempt...

- There is always another landing attempt.... If the first one is nothing short of perfect, abort and try again, and again and again... leave yourself enough time to land. Don't get nervous by any timers going off. Batteries are cheap.

- Fly on low rates....

- Follow EF CG recommendations...

- Put a few clicks of up trim before hand. Better have to take it off than be surprised with having to put a LOT of up trim. In the worst case scenario you want the Plane to have a tendency to climb a little as oppose to dive a lot...

I bet you will find it is more fulfilling, more accurate, and more fun than the Cessna... Once you go Balsa there is no looking back.

Having said that, I did have a low wing aerobatic foam trainer before my first balsa frame. Did you? If not, it may be worth considering before the Edge....

Oh, and here are 3DHS Ben's Field Checklist
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:25 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jun 2010
94 Posts
"I bet you will find it is more fulfilling, more accurate, and more fun than the Cessna... Once you go Balsa there is no looking back. "

Im not trying to be contentious or anything, but I am actually moving a little away from balsa towards EPO for scale stuff, and EPP for high risk flying. Those foams are way more crash friendly and repairable than balsa. I think there is a kind of foam yet to be developed that will be more wonderous in terms of flexibility, strength, and resiliance. And I don't think the combining of current materials has reached it full potential design wise. Like CF reinforced foam, etc.
Balsa will be around of course. But the size of foam planes has been increasing and replacing more balsa, and the really large planes are already composite.
Im into stuff I can barely fit in my car (leave wing on) , about the size of the cessna. Im considering a 3D EPO plane about that size. I would like a nice balsa one too though. I learned to fly on a 3D plane but now I like relaxing with the cessna. Fun to make it cycle as scale as possible.
el touristo is offline Find More Posts by el touristo
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:53 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,642 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I like foam. However, I think you will find that in the larger sizes foam doesn't fit the bill if you are into 3D or precision acrobatics. Over time, they lose from their strength and accuracy and never fly like they did initially. The foam can have a tendency to squeeze and get "tired" in key areas. There are also maneuvers that are not sensible to perform with foam planes given their high stress on the frames. Balsa is actually not that bad to repair. It is just different (esp if the manufacturer makes motor boxes and other parts available). While you can repair foam planes in most cases almost indefinitely, i find that they have a tendency to never fly the same (which is not the case with balsa). I just don't think you can compare the accuracy of foam frames and balsa frames. To me it was a night and day difference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:43 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Once you go Balsa there is no looking back.
With all due respect, I grew up inhaling balsa dust, Ambroid glue and dope, then it was fiberglass resin and fiberglass dust on top of the fumes from cutting styrofoam with a hot wire. I don't miss all the work.

Was totally out of RC 20 years until April last year when a friend let me fly his Hobbyzone Champ. No fuss no mess no cleanup. I was hooked. Still have 6 balsa/nitro models hanging from my garage ceiling. Doubt if they will ever take flight again.

Life is short and I'd rather be flying. EPO foam all the way for this aging RCer. I am happy with 1700mm warbirds and 1300mm Sbach342s and 2300mm gliders, but happiest with the smaller 800-1100mm class.

If ever the EPO planes get "tired", I will buy a new one no big deal. Guess my take is, "once you go foam, there is no turning back." But I do like your point of view, because I love watching balsa flying as long as they are not mine.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:49 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,642 Posts
LOL.... I like that...

I did say for 3D and precision aerobatics (which is what I believe Bill is after)! Not fun cruising / circle flying...

Like I said I have foamies as well...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:07 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
304 Posts
Quote:
Congrats! You will be just fine....

- Make sure all the control surfaces move in the right direction...

- Keep her nice and high.

- Find out her stall speed high up not on the first landing attempt...

- There is always another landing attempt.... If the first one is nothing short of perfect, abort and try again, and again and again... leave yourself enough time to land. Don't get nervous by any timers going off. Batteries are cheap.

- Fly on low rates....

- Follow EF CG recommendations...

- Put a few clicks of up trim before hand. Better have to take it off than be surprised with having to put a LOT of up trim. In the worst case scenario you want the Plane to have a tendency to climb a little as oppose to dive a lot...

I bet you will find it is more fulfilling, more accurate, and more fun than the Cessna... Once you go Balsa there is no looking back.

Having said that, I did have a low wing aerobatic foam trainer before my first balsa frame. Did you? If not, it may be worth considering before the Edge....

Oh, and here are 3DHS Ben's Field Checklist

Arnav,

Thanks for the pointers, believe me I need them.

Actually I'm more or less self taught with this whole RC thing. I started with a 3DHS epp 33" 3d plane. There was quite a learning curve to get this bird in the air. After a lot of trial & error (and a lot of welders glue repairs) I kinda got the hang of things. I've have a couple other 3D epp planes up to a 44" Telink Extra Slick. That is my "go to" plane for flying in the field behind the house.

My thinking was that I needed to learn to land a plane with actual landing gear before venturing on to a 3D balsa. Well that's when I bought the Cessna 182. I take it to the club & practice my landing & basic flying skills. Great trainer plane. I still consider myself a rookie since I have maybe only 12-15 hours fly time.
Truly addicted to this hobby. Absolutley Love it......

Looking forward to spring here in Michigan to get some more time under my belt with the Cessna & then go for the gusto with the EF EXP Edge.

Thanks again for the pointers & Link.

Bill B.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,642 Posts
What?! You had a 3dhs and then went EF?? That's like, I don't know? Switching from the democratic to the Republican party in an election year?

I am only kidding. I have yet to try EF planes myself.

That's very cool. Kind of remind of how I learned to windsurf, and then ski, and then snowboard, and... you get the idea...
With RC I actually broke the mold and did two lessons with an instructor... The Cessna was my first Plane.

If you do it on your own, starting with an (almost) indestructible EPP plane is probably a smart idea (vs. an F-16 or a warbird)... Of course a Champ is probably easier...

I am looking forward for you to getting it up in the air when you are up to it. Man, it is beautiful. I have the 48" 3DHS Edge (RIP it needs to be repaired). I bet you will find it is easier to fly than the other planes. Bigger flies easier. It will be floaty, and accurate and violent all at the same time (at least the 3dhs 48" Edge is I don't know much about the EF one). Got to love the Edges. Once you go Edge there is no turning back.... (LOL you know I had to squeeze that one more generalization in there right?)

If you survive it, the SkyTrainer is indeed a great trainer (in the sense that it is different than a traditional trainer). It is very light, relatively fast and can do quite a bit of aerobatics.

Funny thing is, the SkyTrainer and its lousy stock gear is a nightmare to learn to land with. In my field where the surface is less than ideal, at least it was for me. Its like driving a lawn mower. A new prop every weekend, or servo, or realignment, etc'. Come to think about it, I don't miss tricycles...

No doubt you can practice landings with the SkyTrainer. Try to make sure you touch down with the mains first. You can cheat with the SkyTrainer and have the NG touch down first (and then you pay for it with the issues mentioned above).
Use it to practice approaches, throttle control, and flaring properly. Use it to learn using the left stick. See the affect throttle has on decent.

A trail dragger does land slightly differently and it does require some practice as you don't have that NG to take the brunt of a bad landing. With a tail dragger, a less than perfect touchdown means a nose over, which usually entails chipping paint of the cowl, bent shafts, breaking props, etc'. Once you get the hang of it tough, if your field is not ideal, it is much easier.

Did you post/lurk in the EF 48" Edge Thread? If not you should. Both 3dhs and EF has great communities.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:53 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,642 Posts
I think I posted this video here before. I liked it:

Landings: Round outs and flares - KING SCHOOLS Video (1 min 57 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Learn how to fly with the nose up and slow. Flares come Much easier
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:15 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,642 Posts
or in other words: harrier....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:06 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I get some real short rollouts now...my Cub is even shorter at a few feet.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
When i do my landings, i usually gentley hold up elevator when its close to the ground to flare. Its much easier with the cessna since its so light vs my warbirds and heavier planes.

This plane has actually helped my landings overall. Now i have no problem landing my tail dragger which i would always nose over lol
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention