HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:21 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
I may have to kill a day in Orlando two weeks from now and can be sure to bring Planes with me. So maybe we can meet at the field. Where are you flying at? I forgot who else here is from Orlando. I saw there is a flying field right by the Orlando airport...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:34 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jun 2010
72 Posts
I think there're informal fly meets around 4-6pm on saturdays.

http://mapq.st/WMWTHH approximate area. see if that shows it to you.
(lake Baldwin)

no nitro or gas. it not a sanctioned or even marked field. Its just a greenspace in the subdivision.

I used to be a member of http://www.rcacf.com/ over towards apopka. I still would be but its
out of my way. its a great strip. jets and all. great club. Im sure you could guest fly there just email them.
el touristo is online now Find More Posts by el touristo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,109 Posts
Can someone please tell me what they have for elevator throws. I seem to get more down throw that up and have moved everything to outboard holes as wells as recentering the control horn on the servo and during low speed but not stall speed I lose being able to hold that nose up during flare due to lack of thorws...Thanks
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:07 PM
Joined Jun 2010
72 Posts
If by 'everything to outboard holes' you mean not just the servo arms but the control surface horns, that's not full throw. Larger throw (longer radius) at servo will move a smaller throw (shorter radius) at the horn farther. Like front (servo) and rear (control horn) gears on a 10-speed bike. The servo control arm should be perpendicular to the rod when the surface is in the neutral position. Otherwise you will get more throw one way than the other. Turn radio on to make sure servo is center and neutral trim and subtrim. Then put arm on spline as close to 90 degress as you can. It will almost always be off some. Idk why they are like that. So you can then use subtrim to center it. Also use your radio's travel adjust to limit and even the throws. At full throw each way make sure servo isnt binding. You can hear it growling if it is in a strain. But the best way is to check the throw with the rod disconnected from the servo, moving rod with you hand and feeling it is free. Note how far both ways the surface travels freely and dont final throw beyond that. For flaps up you set servo arm pointing away from flap in such a way that when you move the servo fully through its travel (full flaps), the arm ends up being pointed at the flap the same amount is was pointing away from it with flaps up. Its all intuitive trigonometry when you think about it. When you get really picky you want the servo arm to move in a similar plane to the control arm. That matters most with short control rods like flaps, ailerons, and tail mounted servos etc. where different planes of movement can give you less throw? and I think less linear throw? (just imagining here) since the rod will change angles and throw is used up to change its angle instead of moving horn.
Last edited by el touristo; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:50 PM
Joined Jun 2010
72 Posts
[QUOTE
On my last crash from a few weeks ago the nose gear arm control broke. Glueing it has been a pain. Recomendations for stronger one?

.[/QUOTE]

the arm is platic of course but it has a medal puck-shaped core. mine broke just turning! The glue to use is CA. Can't remember if I used med or thin since it was in peices. just dont get it on the grub screw threads! after I glued mine back together I had to sand upper and lower 'bearing' surfaces because i didnt get it glued together perfect. That's why I say to everyone if yours is still intact take it out and run some thin CA in it so it forms a solid composite arm instead of thin plastic around metal. The plastic has no strength because is is so thin to surround the metal.

If you cant get it to stay together I'd say look for something at LHS that's close and can be ground down or something.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:06 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,439 Posts
I changed my entire front wheel to dubro 1/2A it was a PITA to attach the control rod but zero complaints on that setup here.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:18 PM
United States, TX, Hidalgo
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMention View Post
what is the c rating on the battery and what prop are you using
I,m using the stock prop, but today at full throttle the motor start to cut off, landed the,plane , test the motor at half throttle works fine, but tried the full throttle and the motor start to some
Now What ?? What motor and prop to buy.
Thanks
equus is offline Find More Posts by equus
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:16 AM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Read and follow this (landings by Ben Fisher). It should really help.
Thanks, with what I've recently read plus this it does help understand why I've crashed. Ive had the plane for about 4 weeks, have 12 flights on it, 3 crashes.
- took eyes off plane, looked back sun in eyes, next thing plane was in dive.
- took off without full power, dive
- 180 turn to land, in turn dive

So a little pattern. NOTE: I fly 80% of the time on half throttle or less. Just cruising around and getting practice and more feel. I throttle up to do a stunt here or there and/or to get out of trouble. So yes I have learned to keep some speed in turns and in general at low altitude. I might put some weight in the nose when I repair next to help the CG.

Also, with my 2200mah 25c lipo Im getting around 13 minutes of flight time. That includes usually multiple landings per battery (practice). So keeping the throttle up and losing a couple minutes wont hurt my feelings.

When I land, I do usually cut power on final appoach and glide in. I have had a few harder ones that bent the front gear (durbo just got in yesterday though). But I have had some pretty nice landings where the main gear touched first then let the nose down.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tdford; Feb 05, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:21 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,205 Posts
Oh yeah, did a hard pull up and the battery hatch flew off due to the battery wanting to come out. The battery did hang, thank god for a tight deans plug (it takes some pressure to unplug). I landed it with a hanging battery!!! lol

Ummm, got some velcro on the battery for the next flight. I was procrastinating I guess. Glad the hatch flew off when the plane was basically above me, otherwise probably wouldnt of found it. I was high enough to let the plane just circle basically on its own and I watched the hatch fall to the ground.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:26 AM
Joined May 2012
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Thanks, with what I've recently read plus this it does help understand why I've crashed. Ive had the plane for about 4 weeks, have 12 flights on it, 3 crashes.
- took eyes off plane, looked back sun in eyes, next thing plane was in dive.
- took off without full power, dive
- 180 turn to land, in turn dive

So a little pattern. NOTE: I fly 80% on half throttle or less. Just cruising around and getting practice and more feel. I throttle up to do a stunt here or there and/or to get out of trouble. So yes I have learned to keep some speed in turns and in general at low altitude. I might put some weight in the nose when I repair next to help the CG.

Also, with my 2200mah 25c lipo I got 13 minutes of flight time. That included 2 seperate landings. So keeping the throttle up and losing a couple minutes wont hurt my feelings.

When I land, I do usually cut power on final appoach and glide in. I have had a few harder ones that bent the front gear (durbo just got in yesterday though). But I have had some pretty nice landings where the main gear touched first then let the nose down.
Low altitude - bad idea! get her up there and stall the hell out of it and learn how to recover it. Once you start stalling over and over on purpose - tip stalls, full stalls, etc, you'll see them coming a mile away and you'll be able to get it back before a disaster occurs. Low altitude and stall means fix plane if you're a beginner pilot.

180 turn to land, in a dive, generally means tip stall, where your inside wing stalls and loses lift and the nose rotates down. I would guess you had way too much bank angle on the turn, but I might be mistaken. How much rudder do you use when you're flying? If you're just turning with ailerons and yank and bank try adding that rudder for coordinated turns. You'll be surprised at how much more docile your turns are and your maneuverability is actually improved.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:27 AM
Joined May 2012
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeah, did a hard pull up and the battery hatch flew off due to the battery wanting to come out. The battery did hang, thank god for a tight deans plug (it takes some pressure to unplug). I landed it with a hanging battery!!! lol

Ummm, got some velcro on the battery for the next flight. I was procrastinating I guess. Glad the hatch flew off when the plane was basically above me, otherwise probably wouldnt of found it. I was high enough to let the plane just circle basically on its own and I watched the hatch fall to the ground.
You didn't have any velcro in there to begin with? yikes. shifting battery while flying means you had a variable CG during flight..... wow
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:28 AM
Joined May 2012
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by equus View Post
I,m using the stock prop, but today at full throttle the motor start to cut off, landed the,plane , test the motor at half throttle works fine, but tried the full throttle and the motor start to some
Now What ?? What motor and prop to buy.
Thanks
New battery would be the first thing to try. C rating isn't constant, as you use your battery it loses the ability to supply needed voltage at the same current draw (which is what C rating indicates.) Your 25C motor might well be a 12C motor now and full throttle triggers LVC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:05 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Joined Dec 2012
2,205 Posts
I use some rudder but am still practicing with it. I know it will help but I'm not using it all the time. Yes altitude is my friend, but some more speed in these situations would of definitely helped. The bank angle was not the issue. Being a beginner I was a bit puzzled, I knew it stalled - I have practiced stalling at altitude; but just didnt know why. Now I have a better understanding of why it stalled and how to reduce that issue.

Yep, used no velcro. Was pinning it in the compartment and having the wires hold it in place.... bad idea obviously. We are good to go now though.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2012
8,439 Posts
Quote:
I use some rudder but am still practicing with it. I know it will help but I'm not using it all the time. Yes altitude is my friend, but some more speed in these situations would of definitely helped. The bank angle was not the issue. Being a beginner I was a bit puzzled, I knew it stalled - I have practiced stalling at altitude; but just didnt know why. Now I have a better understanding of why it stalled and how to reduce that issue.

Yep, used no velcro. Was pinning it in the compartment and having the wires hold it in place.... bad idea obviously. We are good to go now though.
Remember in a slow speed turn the inside wing is moving slower through the air from the outside wing, so the inside wing will stall first and lose lift, the nose will drop, and the outside wing continues to lift, pushing the plane up and over and spinning down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:40 PM
United States, TX, Hidalgo
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
New battery would be the first thing to try. C rating isn't constant, as you use your battery it loses the ability to supply needed voltage at the same current draw (which is what C rating indicates.) Your 25C motor might well be a 12C motor now and full throttle triggers LVC.
It was a new battery, first charge ,before the motor burn, Flight with a used battery and everything runs fine.
However the engine past to better life any advice on motor and prop??
I have 40 amp hobbywing esc
equus is offline Find More Posts by equus