HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:52 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,330 Posts
Thats my choice for my next plane as well. But Im going to enjoy the Cessna for a while and improve my skills.
tdford is online now Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliamgt View Post
3000mah lipos are not widely available in the UK. hopefully weather changes soon.

Looking at getting the FMS T28 as my next plane
You wont regret it man. I have it and it flies very nice and stable. Everytime I take it to the field someone offers to buy it lol
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:09 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
hmm, I don't think it would make for a good 2nd plane. How often do you crash?
Were you able to go 200 or more flights without a crash? If the answer is no, I would not recommend it as your second plane. Wolfe convinced me against it originally and I am happy he did. It has god knows how many servos . It has a lot more moving parts. It will be much harder to fix if it crashes and it is not going to look great afterwards. Don't get me wrong. It is a beautiful airplane, but I don't think its the one you really want to improve your flying skills on. Get a good precision pattern flier that would allow you to improve your aerobatics skills. I ended up getting the GWS Formosa II (also at wolfe's recommendation) and I am really happy that I did. At $50 the kit is cheap and it flies like a dream. it is a fun fun addicting plane and it will make a better pilot out of you. If you can fly the Mosa II you will probably be able to fly (almost) anything... You can build it nice and floaty or you can make it go as fast as a rocket. Once you have such plane, Look here. Make a flight plan, and make sure you try and fly it.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
hmm, I don't think it would make for a good 2nd plane. How often do you crash?
Were you able to go 200 or more flights without a crash? If the answer is no, I would not recommend it as your second plane. Wolfe convinced me against it originally and I am happy he did. It has god knows how many servos . It has a lot more moving parts. It will be much harder to fix if it crashes and it is not going to look great afterwards. Don't get me wrong. It is a beautiful airplane, but I don't think its the one you really want to improve your flying skills on. Get a good precision pattern flier that would allow you to improve your aerobatics skills. I ended up getting the GWS Formosa II (also at wolfe's recommendation) and I am really happy that I did. At $50 the kit is cheap and it flies like a dream. it is a fun fun addicting plane and it will make a better pilot out of you. If you can fly the Mosa II you will probably be able to fly (almost) anything... You can build it nice and floaty or you can make it go as fast as a rocket. Once you have such plane, Look here. Make a flight plan, and make sure you try and fly it.
It does have a lot of moving parts but its not that hard to fix especially if you have some build time under your belt. I bought the kit so I had the option of installing only the features I needed.

I installed the cowl flaps on mine and I switched the servo operated gear doors to the trip wire system. I also didnt use the stock 580kv motor. I used a Tacon Bigfoot 46 motor.

But I do agree that this is not the a good second plane to buy unless you can land consistenly and you have warbird exp.
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
yeah, the point is not that it will be hard to fly in general say like some of the other warbirds (lets say a Spit). Its that it will be hard to improve precision flying and aerobatic experience with it (and keep your wallet intact if you need to keep buying it or parts for it).

Either way, as you pointed out, the only way to go with these Planes are the kits where you can ensure you put quality components into.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:45 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
yea, stick to planes you can find parts for at a local hobby store til you are comfortable rebuilding mishaps...man, I have even scratchbuilt a few planes now.....I like the T28 too, But there is just too much going on, you bust that prop( and you will) it's gonna hurt your wallet.....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:16 AM
Joined Dec 2012
451 Posts
Im not planning on buying it yet. The t28 will be my 3rd plane. The other 2 are still in one. So in a month or 2 ill be purchasing it
apriliamgt is online now Find More Posts by apriliamgt
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:52 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
What airplane are you considering as your 2nd/next plane?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:23 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
yea, stick to planes you can find parts for at a local hobby store til you are comfortable rebuilding mishaps...man, I have even scratchbuilt a few planes now.....I like the T28 too, But there is just too much going on, you bust that prop( and you will) it's gonna hurt your wallet.....
A propeller is $10 on bananahobby. Probably even cheaper to source one at your LHS.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Dec 2012
451 Posts
my 2nd plane? I already have my second plane? I started off with a Supercub. Now got 1400mm FMS cessna 182 and t28 as my thrid
apriliamgt is online now Find More Posts by apriliamgt
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
oh ok. So you should be fine. If your interests are aerobatics, I would still recommend a precision flier tough...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:51 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
yea, buy a PZ EXtra300...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:52 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
yea, buy a PZ EXtra300...
I've got a mint condition PZ Extra 300 BNF for sale. Only has about 3 flights on it. All original. PM if interested.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:12 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jun 2010
103 Posts
sweet plane

My experiences tells me to CG not even a few mms further back than recommended, or will get too unstable at slow speed. Maybe a few mms forward. Flaps are fun make landing slower speed but mushier and bumpier. Was windy day. Plane was just a few mms tailheavy for this maiden day. Used full flaps on 1st takeoff and landing to make it more interesting. I love this plane, so relaxing and funscale. So I put in the 'romantic' section of video lol. On a later day with same CG there was incident, will post pics later.

FMS 55" Sytrainer Maiden Flight (4 min 0 sec)
el touristo is offline Find More Posts by el touristo
Last edited by el touristo; Feb 03, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:08 AM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
318 Posts
Great Vid. Can't say the same for the music. LOL

Nice landings considering the bumpy field. What size tires are you using?

Also what video editing software?

Bill B
wjb111 is offline Find More Posts by wjb111