HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMention View Post
No I upgraded to a Tacon Bigfoot 25 870kv and a 60A ESC. I pull about 45A on a 4S battery using a MAS 11x8x3 prop. With a 3000-3300 battery I get about 8-10 minutes of mix flight time
Do you run a external BEC? What ESC do you use, I need to upgrade my 40A, I want to start running 4S now. You think the stock motor will be okay on a 4S?
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
Do you run a external BEC? What ESC do you use, I need to upgrade my 40A, I want to start running 4S now. You think the stock motor will be okay on a 4S?
I use a Dynam 60a ESC and a Dynam 5a BEC. Before I changed to the Bigfoot 25 motor I ran 4s on the stock motor and it would come down a little hot. You might be able to get a couple flights from the stock motor but I wouldnt do it long term.
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:59 PM
United States, FL, Floral City
Joined Dec 2012
64 Posts
Wing Struts?

Anyone have an opinion on whether the wing struts are needed to support the wings in flight? One of mine broke and it looks the the struts only come with the nuts and screws while the wing and fuse brackets come with the wing set. My trainer said they looked more for scale than function.
GrandpaInFlorida is offline Find More Posts by GrandpaInFlorida
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:08 PM
Warbird Willie
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Jul 2012
228 Posts
Struts definitely needed. Without them the wings have way too much flex and will eventually snap. They are a pain and in my case ugly but they are essential.

Jim
jtalley10 is offline Find More Posts by jtalley10
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:13 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
yep, I snapped mine as is even with them (during a high energy aggressive snap roll)...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:23 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
I had a strut mount snap off from wear and tear. I repaired it quite easily and is still going strong using a divider panel from a Plano tackle box. Pic is in here somewhere
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:34 AM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
I used 5 min epoxy on my wing struts, CA is not enough
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Dec 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
I had a strut mount snap off from wear and tear. I repaired it quite easily and is still going strong using a divider panel from a Plano tackle box. Pic is in here somewhere
Thanks to everyone for your input. The actual strut isn't the problem but the mount that connects to the fuse broke off below the screw connection. I used Bob Smith 15 min epoxy to mount the strut mounts. The mount for the wing and the spar are somewhere at the flying club..couldn't find them with a quick walk around the field. I made a new spar out of oak and it's actually lighter and stronger than the original...just have to figure out how to mount it.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
here was my screw mount fix
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:48 PM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
JDMjim I have to say thank you, this fix worked great for me it is still on the plane even though I have about 4 sets of struts and 1 or two sets of strut mounts(I tried to special order the strut mount and they kept sending me struts and then they finally sent me two mounts free of charge after blundering my order a few). I still have my modded strut mount and they are strong. I broke my originals before it ever got a chance to fly. I put blue lock tight on the nut and it ate or degraded the plastic to where it broke off all 4.
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
No prob. It's a pleasure that I am help somehow. Mine is holding up really well too.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
HI Guys,

Thought I would check in - have been absent for a few months - I do that now and then LOL.

Anyway, I let my radio get rained on a few months back and then just got busy with other things. Just got a DX8 to replace the radio and am slowly getting the airplanes set back up.

Will probably get this plane going again this weekend and will browse the thread and get caught up.

Just wanted to say "HI".

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:40 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
322 Posts
Welcome back Wolfe.
wjb111 is online now Find More Posts by wjb111
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:25 PM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
Welcome back Wolfe,,,, missed your input here............... b.b.4
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaynex View Post
JDMjim I have to say thank you, this fix worked great for me it is still on the plane even though I have about 4 sets of struts and 1 or two sets of strut mounts(I tried to special order the strut mount and they kept sending me struts and then they finally sent me two mounts free of charge after blundering my order a few). I still have my modded strut mount and they are strong. I broke my originals before it ever got a chance to fly. I put blue lock tight on the nut and it ate or degraded the plastic to where it broke off all 4.
I got the side fixed that snapped off and per my instructors suggestion put a little thread locker on the side that was good. I looked at my plane this morning and the good strut was laying on the table...the plastic just crumbled around the nuts. I wish I had seen your message before I did it.

Where did you order the struts and mounts? I don't see the mounts as a separate item and it looks like they come with the main wing set. They could even be so sneaky as to include the fuselage mount with the replacement fuselage.