HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:58 AM
johnd
1 Stoplight town East of Lansing, MI
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts
Cool - thanks for the ride! Are your flaps extending all the way? I just wonder if you're limiting travel or if that's just how they look from up close underneath?
jondon69 is offline Find More Posts by jondon69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:24 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,453 Posts
Can somebody confirm CG for me? Mine nose dives HARD when I let go of the sticks. I have about 15 degrees of flaps on most of the time when I'm flying to counteract the problem but I'd like not to correct a problem with the airframe that isn't a CG problem. I bought it used and to my eyes it seems mechanically trimmed properly, but you never know. Thanks
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
nice^!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondon69 View Post
Cool - thanks for the ride! Are your flaps extending all the way? I just wonder if you're limiting travel or if that's just how they look from up close underneath?
Thanks. The flaps are not extended all the way. Just a little is enough with this plane. I found that if I put too much the plane would balloon a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Can somebody confirm CG for me? Mine nose dives HARD when I let go of the sticks. I have about 15 degrees of flaps on most of the time when I'm flying to counteract the problem but I'd like not to correct a problem with the airframe that isn't a CG problem. I bought it used and to my eyes it seems mechanically trimmed properly, but you never know. Thanks
I use 3s and 4s batteries pushed all the way forward.
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:56 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMention View Post

I use 3s and 4s batteries pushed all the way forward.
What Amp ESC do you use with the 4s?
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
What Amp ESC do you use with the 4s?
60Amp
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:06 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
318 Posts
Great vid Mr. M
I really need to get a gp3
wjb111 is offline Find More Posts by wjb111
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:34 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jun 2010
103 Posts
small part BH order? (banana hobby)

fms 182 skytrainer. I need a prop adapter, cowl, spinner (tried to turn around sharply and land during scale takeoff to take phone call, and I sooo knew better lol). thinking of ordering a couple. if anyone wants some of these types of small parts, if we can get over $50 order it will be free shipping from BH, (I will prepay on faith) then I can send them to you paypal cheap postage in small package. min ship from BH is almost $14 I think. so it can help everyone. I think my order is up to about $25 right now. pm me I'll work on this for a couple of weeks see if there is enough interest. will post if there is.
el touristo is offline Find More Posts by el touristo
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
Mr Mention are you using the stock motor and if so what wattage and amps are you getting?
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaynex View Post
Mr Mention are you using the stock motor and if so what wattage and amps are you getting?
No I upgraded to a Tacon Bigfoot 25 870kv and a 60A ESC. I pull about 45A on a 4S battery using a MAS 11x8x3 prop. With a 3000-3300 battery I get about 8-10 minutes of mix flight time
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:03 AM
Joined May 2012
9,453 Posts
Mr Mention do you think you can tell me (or anyone else here) how far back from LE the CG should be? I have set mine to the recommended location and then incrementally 1.5cm closer forward. Still can't solve the nose diving.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:32 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Don't fly with the flaps. Are you reseting the trim after you move the CG? It is a common mistake. As per "turnerm" over the 3dhs Edge thread:

"If it tilts towards the nose, move the battery back, if it tilts to the tail, move the battery up. Once you get the right spot mark the tray and set your elevator to neutral (mechanically, not using trim). Then fly it upright at 60-70% throttle and trim for hands off level flight. Flip it inverted and if she flies level you're done. If not then you need to shift your battery accordingly, reset all trims and start over.

You should be able to get it pretty dang close to neutral. I like flying most of planes at neutral.
"
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:59 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Also, moving the CG forward will only make it worse. Sounds like your plane is nose heavy so if anything you need to move the CG back (or even better move your battery as far back as you can or as a last resort add weight). however, I don't see a reason to change the CG on this Plane so I suggest you start over. Put the Plane on your fingers or on a CG machine at the recommended CG point (don't remember what it is from the top of my head). Reset the elevator trim to zero, and make sure the elevator is flushed with the stab. What is the airplane doing on the CG machine or your fingers? If it is nose heavy, shift weight aft (battery, Rx, etc'), It it is tail heavy, shift weight forward (which doesn't seem to be your case). If you do that and fly back up (with no flaps!) I suspect that you will only need a few clicks of trim (if at all). If you need to add a lot of trim (which I doubt that you will need) the above post apply.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:15 AM
Joined May 2012
9,453 Posts
OK I made myself sound like an idiot

I started at the recommended cg, and moved incrementally backwards to 1.5 cm. the battery - i use both a 3300 and 4000 3s - is as far back as it will go without cutting into the foam bulkhead. I have placed ballast on the backside of the elevator/rudder servo door. No dice. I have visually trimmed (mechanically) the elevator flush with the horiz stab. I do not reset trims, ever, between tests - bad to change more than one variable at a time. I'm at the point now where I don't really think its a cg problem. I will next try to look for damage to the motor mount, maybe it's been bent. I have had it flying well, and It hasn't seen any hard crashes since that time, so I don't know what changed. The only way I can get it to behave enough to enjoy it is by flying with 10% flaps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:41 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,009 Posts
CG Location

Here is a good illustration of where the CG should be for docile scale flying and good handling. Having a CG that is too far aft can also cause extreme pitch sensitivity whereby the nose will violently pitch down (often passed vertical). A tucking under effect. Make sure your battery is secured against shifting as well.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:37 AM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
These are the batteries I use and how the fit for CG. Two 4S and a 3S. I have them pushed all the way forward. I'm also using a slightly heavier motor.

I've never had any problem with the CG. Depending on whether or not I'm flying with the Gopro, I may give it a little up or down trim.